Stop asking for feature suggestions

If the basic workings, and feature sets of Evernote are lacking, asking for suggestions about future features is bad, bad, bad. Either, you will not fix the stuff that is broken, which is bad, or you will attempt to add features, which is bad bad bad. Makes me think that this forum is for PR, not for work and that it is therefore lies, lies, lies. 

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

... asking for suggestions about future features is bad, bad, bad. Either, you will not fix the stuff that is broken, which is bad, or you will attempt to add features, which is bad bad bad.

This forum serves two purposes

1. A place for user's to post their feature requests
  2. A place for other users to discuss workarounds and add their vote to give an indication of priority

I can't see how giving users a voice is bad, bad, bad

Pleased to meet you, Guru. Let me explain for you how "giving users a voice is bad".

1. If you give users a voice, the implicit message is that you will listen to the voice. By "listen", I mean "act on". If someone says "please pass the sugar" and you listen carefully, but don't pass the sugar, you have not listened in a meaningful sense.

2. If Onenote "listens", then they will give resources to adding features, and not give those finite resources to fixing bugs. Fixing bugs is more important that adding features, so if Evernote listens by adding features, that is bad. 

3. If Onenote has the forum up where people make suggestions, and does not attempt to give resources to adding features, then that is bad, because they mislead their posters. See 1. above. 

4. As far as I can see, Onenote does not add features, such as different coloured highlighting, a sensible suggestion since about 2013. As far as I can see, Onenote does not fix the bugs in their software. The current situation is bad, therefore. 

5. Therefore, Onenote giving its users a forum for features suggestions is bad (2, above), bad (3, above) and bad (4, above). Therefore, the forum for features requests is bad, bad, bad. QED.

If I need to explain that more clearly, please post back. 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

By "listen", I mean "act on"

"Listen" and "act on" are not synonymous.

2 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

2. If Onenote "listens", then they will give resources to adding features, and not give resources to fixing bugs. Fixing bugs is more important that adding features, so if Evernote listens by adding features, that is bad. 

3. If Onenote has the forum up where people make suggestions, and does not attempt to give resources to adding features, then that is bad, because they mislead their posters. See 1. above. 

4. As far as I can see, Onenote does not add features, such as different coloured highlighting. As far as I can see, Onenote does not fix the bugs in their software. The current situation is bad, therefore. 

5. Therefore, Onenote giving its users a forum for features suggestions is bad (2, above), bad (3, above) and bad (4, above). QED.

I have no idea what this is about. Maybe you want to go and visit the OneNote forums??? QEWTF???

3 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

If I need to explain that more clearly, please post back. 

If I believed that you could, I'd ask. I have doubts. If you think it's unclear, why didn't you post a clearer version in the first place?

23 minutes ago, jefito said:

"Listen" and "act on" are not synonymous.

Yes, I thought that this might happen. The issue that you have raised here is the difference between literal language and pragmatic language. Some people tend toward pragmatic language. Some people in society tend toward literal language. 

I have no idea what this is about. Maybe you want to go and visit the OneNote forums??? QEWTF???

QED is short for quod erat demonstrandum, "thus it has been demonstrated". It depends where you went to school, I suppose. 

As for posting on the OneNote forums, I assure you the pragmatic/literal English thing will be no better there. Probably worse. 

If I believed that you could, I'd ask. I have doubts. If you think it's unclear, why didn't you post a clearer version in the first place?

The first version was the clearer version. DTL pretended not to understand. You and DTL probably have a lot in common. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

If you give users a voice, the implicit message is that you will listen to the voice. By "listen", I mean "act on".

Listen and Act on are separate steps, and distinct from the discussion and collection processes

Have you heard the story about Henry Ford and if he asked people what they wanted, they would have said Faster Horses
Of course that doesn't apply to Evernote users; they would say Highlighting

To be serious, I think Evernote does listen
They don't always act on each request; I'm sure there are many reasons including priorities
I don't take offence
- the software is free
- the upgrades are free
- Evernote does the job of processing my notes.  I consider all the other bells and whistles a bonus

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

Yes, I thought that this might happen. The issue that you have raised here is the difference between literal language and pragmatic language. Some people tend toward pragmatic language. Some people in society tend toward literal language. 

Usually you start with literal language, and when you have good working understanding of some shared domain, you can drop into 'pragmatic' language without fear of being misunderstood. I don't think that you and anyone here have reached that level yet. Even so, "listen" and "act on" are still not synonymous.

11 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

QED is short for quod erat demonstrandum, "thus it has been demonstrated". It depends where you went to school, I suppose. 

My schooling's fine, so I knew that already. I just modified it with a little non-Latin ending, since you didn't actually demonstrate anything with your sillygisms.

12 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

The first version was the clearer version. DTL pretended not to understand. You and DTL probably have a lot in common. 

Thank you. DTLow is one of the folks here who actively help other Evernote users use Evernote better, as opposed to people who prefer to spend their time in the forums throwing metaphoric (and not literal, since you'll probably insist on being precise about it) rocks at Evernote. I take that as a compliment.

With that, I think we're done here. Time to press 'ignore'.

Archived