Another guy with problem using web clipper on Safari

paulodzi

Hi,

Same here (Mac OS X 10.12.2, Safari 10.0.2 and Evernote Web Clipper 6.10.3).

I've already cleaned my cache and reinstalled plugin. Also, I've already removed Evernotehelper from my login items.

I have not been able to make web clipper work :( I have the button, but how do I select a portion of a web site if I don't want to get the whole site? Even the whole site I cannot figure out how to put one in Evernote. I just have to work with screen shots.

Stopped working for me several days ago. After logging in and trying to clip a page nothing happens. I've checked logs and see nothing in particular.

Issue happens like this after providing Evernote credentials to plugin. 

1. Open Web Page to Clip
  2. Click on Evernote Safari Plugin Icon from the browser
  3. A "Blank" page will flash with the title "Success"
  4. "Blank" page closes almost immediately.
  5. No other action.

I've attempted to uninstall and reinstall the plugin; restarting the browser; restarting the computer. Logging out of Evernote and logging back in in various orders. None of those actions resolve the issue.

Running MacOS Sierra 10.12.2, Safari Version 10.0.2 (12602.3.12.0.1), Evernote Version 6.10 (454267 Direct), Evernote Plugin downloaded from Evernote's site on 1/3/2017.

Attached a short web clip of the behavior (link below). Note, the alt text when the cursor is over the clipper icon says to log in. The credentials have already been provided.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By8atJiHT86JOHhMYkxFb1NMS2M/view?usp=sharing

I'm still getting asked to login when I use the clipper.  Happens about every other clipping.  However, I can get it to clip, just annoying that it keeps asking me to login.

Have you tried closing all your tabs and then closing Safari and re-opening?

22 minutes ago, EverSpiral said:

I'm still getting asked to login when I use the clipper.  Happens about every other clipping.  However, I can get it to clip, just annoying that it keeps asking me to login.

Have you tried closing all your tabs and then closing Safari and re-opening?

Yes. Still not working.

I tried something new.  Did a google search and I have the clipper to show related articles I have in Evernote when I do a google search.  

On the top right of the google results the Evernote clipper is asking me to sign in.  I clicked on the link to sign in, and there is an option to remember me for 30 days.  Checked that, attempted to sign in and saw this:

Safari can't open the page.. evernote.com/clipperlogin.action... because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection.  This sometimes occurs when the server is busy.  Wait for a few minutes and try again.

Evernote is probably getting hammered because everytime someone tries to clip a page, they are being directed to login.

Maybe something you can try to login using the search results.  I tried it again and was able to login.  So far so good.

Same here.

Web clipper is not working for several weeks.

Every time I try to clip something, a blank page opens and then closes immediately, and nothing is clipped.

At first I was using Mac OS X Mountain Lion, but I've updated everything and I'm now using macOS Sierra 10.12.2 and Safari 10.0.2.

Still not working.

23 hours ago, phifibonacci said:

Stopped working for me several days ago. After logging in and trying to clip a page nothing happens. I've checked logs and see nothing in particular.

1. Open Web Page to Clip
  5. No other action.

I've attempted to uninstall and reinstall the plugin; restarting the browser; restarting the computer. Logging out of Evernote and logging back in in various orders. None of those actions resolve the issue.

Running MacOS Sierra 10.12.2, Safari Version 10.0.2 (12602.3.12.0.1), Evernote Version 6.10 (454267 Direct), Evernote Plugin downloaded from Evernote's site on 1/3/2017.

Attached a short web clip of the behavior (link below). Note, the alt text when the cursor is over the clipper icon says to log in. The credentials have already been provided.

pherman found the solution that worked for me. Hope this will help someone else. Thanks!!

1 hour ago, pherman said:

This is the solution I have found:

in Safari preferences/privacy/cookies and website data, I checked: "allow from websites I visit" instead of "allow from current website only"

It works now!  Best Wishes!

4 hours ago, pherman said:

in Safari preferences/privacy/cookies and website data, I checked: "allow from websites I visit" instead of "allow from current website only"

Yes, that solution worked for me too.  I had tried reinstalling a couple times to no avail. However, this solution of simply changing that setting in Safari got it working again.  

On 1/4/2017 at 0:25 PM, pherman said:

Worked for me too.

Thank you, pherman.

I was already set to...

and I still have the re-sign in issue with clipper. 

On 1/3/2017 at 8:54 AM, phifibonacci said:

1. Open Web Page to Clip
  5. No other action.

Exactly this. I've taken this steps and cleared my cache. No dice.

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my cookie settings to "allow from websites I visit" (which means that more cookies and other ***** from other websites will just get dumped into Safari, which is really annoying), and that miraculously made the Clipper work. I spent the better part of two weeks of ***** around with installing and uninstalling the Clipper extension dozens of times, cleaning out my cookies, web data, and cache, etc., and none of that worked. I had the same issue that everyone else has written about above. 

I have to say that it's really unbelievable that Evernote, after so many years in business, cannot keep the Clipper working properly or notify customers on its own website or via some other communiqué about what we need to do make it work (e.g., change your stupid cookie settings, of all things.) I had an extended email exchange with the support staff a few weeks ago about why, in the name of god, I have to reset my preferences (by clicking on "Options") every time I sign into Clipper (e.g., which Notebook I want to start with; turn off all of the "related search" ***** that invades my screen, etc. etc.). They finally told me that I have to go through their sign-in saga every time because it's governed by Evernote's cookies in Safari. If you remove all of your cookies and website date in Safari, then Evernote's cookie disappears, and, alas, you have to reset your preferences every time.

It's January 2017, and I have to go through that just to take a screen shot? And, of course, your screenshot or a saved pdf MUST go into an Evernote Notebook, even if you just want to save it to your desktop. So you have to open Evernote, then track down the screenshot, move it to you desktop (or whatever) just because Evernote wants all of your stuff in their app to take up storage space so they can charge you more for that.

And it looks like the new redesign of the iOS version of Evernote is going to require considerable time to figure out how to use it's "simpler" design and features.

Evernote was once a great app, and I think it still can be one. But it seems like there are too many issues all of the time, while other apps are moving forward. So I'm thinking of saving $8.00 a month that I pay for Evernote's headache and trying something else, like Notability. which has a one-time $9.99 price and a lot of rave reviews in the Mac and iOS App Stores.

Has anyone tried Notability?

Please, Evernote's engineers and QA staff, if you are reading these comments, save your app from its own demise.<_<:angry:

• 3 weeks later...

I've had many, many problems with the Evernote Web Clipper for Safari. The most recent problem was that Evernote appeared to be logged in but each time I clicked the Evernote Web Clipper icon, a new tab would open, "Success!" would quickly appear in the title bar, and the tab would close.

The most recent fix for me seemed to be deleting all saved passwords:

Safari > Preferences > Passwords > Select All > Remove

I had previously removed just the Evernote passwords but that did not seem to help. I had also emptied all caches many times without success.

• 1 month later...
On 4 January 2017 at 0:25 PM, pherman said:

Worked for me - thank you for this!

On 1/25/2017 at 1:36 PM, M.C. said:

It's January 2017, and I have to go through that just to take a screen shot? And, of course, your screenshot or a saved pdf MUST go into an Evernote Notebook, even if you just want to save it to your desktop. So you have to open Evernote, then track down the screenshot, move it to you desktop (or whatever) just because Evernote wants all of your stuff in their app to take up storage space so they can charge you more for that.

If all you want to do is take a screenshot that saves to your Desktop instead of Evernote, use command-shift-4 and a crosshair will appear. Select what you want, and it will screenshot and save to your Desktop. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2017 at 8:54 PM, phifibonacci said:

1. Open Web Page to Clip
  5. No other action.

Same with me.

My solution.  Delete Evernote. I'll stick with OS X Notes.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4.1.2017 at 1:25 PM, pherman said:

Thanks pherman, works for me, too!

• 3 months later...
On 04/01/2017 at 11:25 PM, pherman said:

O. M. G. !!! Thank you!! :) 

Archived