How to best structure these notebooks?

mattyf

I teach at a film school, and over the course of the year my class produces 14 scripts, and everyone in the class must submit notes on each script. They send these scripts, and the notes, to me via email.

I would like to move all this information into Evernote but am a little bit confused about the best way to organize all this. Here's my wish list:

1) I would like to get the emails into Evernote as painlessly as possible. The webclipper seems great, especially being able to create new notebooks when necessary. Though can it create a new notebook within an existing stack?

2) For each script submitted, I would like to be able to easily see in one place all the notes assignments the students turned in.

3) I'd like to be able to call up all the assignments each individual student submitted so I can see them in one place.

4) I'd like all this material contained in one "folder" or "stack," and I would like to be able to focus only on the current year. 

I think that's it. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, mattyf said:

1) I would like to get the emails into Evernote as painlessly as possible. The webclipper seems great, especially being able to create new notebooks when necessary. Though can it create a new notebook within an existing stack?

email > webclipper doesn't seem to match

Evernote has an email address feature (paid accounts)  
A note is automatically created for each email in your default  "Inbox" Notebook

Note: You might want to use a conventional address to ensure receipt

I'm a tag person, and my process would be to use tags instead of notebooks
So, when the email notes are created, I would tag the notes with
- the student
- the assignment
- the year
I would also use a standard naming convention for the note titles
- something like: <year> <student> assignment

You could also create a stack for each year, with a notebook for each student or script

Each of your desired views would be a search

Thanks for the quick response. Ideally, I don't want to have to go into Evernote at all to get this stuff in. I do have a paid account, but the fact that those notes go to the inbox was less appealing to me. 

I'm not averse to IFTTT or some other helper application if it could automate the filing for me. I looked through IFTTT but it didn't seem like it was that flexible. Is the Evernote Mac App Applescriptable?

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, mattyf said:

Ideally, I don't want to have to go into Evernote at all to get this stuff in. I do have a paid account, but the fact that those notes go to the inbox was less appealing to me

Using the`email address means the stuff is automatically added to Evernote

Note: You might want to use a conventional address to ensure the receipt doesn't get messed up

When I said default Inbox Notebook, I meant the default notebook
Some users call it an Inbox so new notes don't get mixed in with old notes

>>Is the Evernote Mac App Applescriptable?

Absolutely.  My favourite tool is Applescript on the Mac

I see. Thinking out loud:

A stack called Script Assignments 2016. In that a notebook for each script. In that the actual script, plus the responses tagged by student.

I think the email route probably won't work, because I'll keep having to change the default inbox notebook. I use gmail via the web interface, and in my first quick test the clipper seemed pretty good actually. That would allow me to select the notebook and the tag without having to go into the app to organize. Is there something hinky about the clipper I should know about?

Lastly, I wish there were a way to have a folder for "School." In that I could have a stack for 2017 assignment, a stack for 2018 assignments, and a stack for my course administrative notebooks. I'm more a visual person, less a search person. That would keep everything in one isolated place, which my brain understands. From what I can tell, the closet I can get to that would be labelling stacks so they all sort together in a clump, right? Tags make me nervous because I've never really used them.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, mattyf said:

I think the email route probably won't work, because I'll keep having to change the default inbox notebook.

Thats not something we usually do; flipping the default notebook

>> Is that a notebook for each script.

Its your choice, but thats a problem with Notebooks - only one notebook for each note
With tags, you can assign multiple tags; identifying both student and script

You do have a third level of hierarchy - the note title

>> I use gmail via the web interface

I understand the web clipper reference now
I don't use Gmail via the web so I'm not to familiar with it

>>Though can it create a new notebook within an existing stack?

If you create a new notebook, it will not be in a stack.  
You might want to consider the naming convention for the new 
notebooks
for example Scripts_2016_Assignment_1

Archived