(sub) filter on tag per notebook?

JorgB

Idea

I can't seem to get this to work, yet it is a core functionality as addressed in The Secret Weapon method. I want to select a notebook, let's say "Pending Tasks" and then see all tasks that have Christmas as tag. Instead it shows all notes from all notebooks with that tag when I do it like that. There is no way to select / filter tags in an active notebook unless I type the query notebook:"Pending Tasks" tag:Christmas. This is cumbersome, and should be in sync with the desktop app or web app. I hope this can be fixed soon!

Steps how I try to filter:

• Select notebook Pending Tasks
  • Select tag Christmas 
  • ... All notes having that tag are shown, in all notebooks

Also, please let me:

• Order the bookmarked tags instead of putting them on top
  • Search for a tag in a hierarchy like they are selected instead of a flat list 
  • Save searches instead of putting only shortcuts on the home screen

Thanks!

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

There are a few folks on here who use TSW,  so maybe they can suggest other alternatives,  but the easiest option seems to me to search for a unique tag applied only for to-do items.  Use "Pen_Christmas" forinstance and you have on item to search for.  Or have two tags.  TSW (AFAIK) was written some time ago.  I don't know if it's been revised recently,  but Evernote is certainly a much more detailed app than it used to be.  TSW isn't supported by Evernote,  so there can be some serious differences between the theory and the application.

Tag administration could certainly do with some improvement - there was a thread around here asking for that as a general feature request.  On that basis (ie better admin) I'll vote here and hope the Forum Elves can tie any threads asking for similar features together when they look at them.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, JorgB said:

I can't seem to get this to work, yet it is a core functionality as addressed in The Secret Weapon method. I want to select a notebook, let's say "Pending Tasks" and then see all tasks that have Christmas as tag.

I think at one time, Evernote had a switch for the taglist to only show tags in the notebook

One work-around is to have saved searches for frequently used searches
As per your example  Notebook:"Pending Tasks" tag:Christmas

TSW also recommended using Top List view.
They recommended tagnames such as 1-Now so if you sorted on the tag column, those notes would appear at the top
A tagname of -Christmas would appear at the top

Archived