Life after Livescribe Wifi

RobD

So My Livescribe Wifi pen is dying a slow, painful death.  I want to be able to hand write my notes on paper, add audio when necessary and have them, (hopefully), automatically sync to EN.  What are my alternatives, if any, when my pen finally dies? I'm an Android user FYI. Thanks. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RobD said:

So My Livescribe Wifi pen is dying a slow, painful death.  I want to be able to hand write my notes on paper, add audio when necessary and have them, (hopefully), automatically sync to EN.  What are my alternatives, if any, when my pen finally dies? I'm an Android user FYI. Thanks. 

Personally, I find the Livescribe approach overly complicated.

I just write on paper and import to Evernote via the camera 
Or dispense with paper and use your tablet; I use an iPad 

For audio, I'm using an app called Cogi
I don't record the whole session - just the important points
Afterward, it syncs to Evernote and I add the recordings to my note

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'd just write on paper and import to Evernote via the camera 

You don't record the whole session - just the important points

Thanks for your reply.  I'm at a loss for your description of Livescribe being overly complicated.... it could not be any simpler... I simply write and record audio when necessary and both are AUTOMATICALLY synced to EN. Your method adds a few more steps to the process. 

I'll look into Cogi, thanks.  Do you use Livescribe 3?  Android or iOS?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, RobD said:

Do you use Livescribe 3?  Android or iOS?

I haven't used Livescribe for years
Back then, we needed special paper to write on

I'm an Apple user - Mac and IOS iPhone and iPad 

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'd just write on paper and import to Evernote via the camera 

You don't record the whole session - just the important points

I don't think Cogi would work for me;  I can't be fiddling with the Cogi app in the middle of a face-to-face meeting to record the highlights.  I need a solution that will start recording a meeting and then I can stop the recording process at the conclusion of the meeting.  Thanks. 

• Level 5*
56 minutes ago, RobD said:

I don't think Cogi would work for me;  I can't be fiddling with the Cogi app in the middle of a face-to-face meeting to record the highlights.  I need a solution that will start recording a meeting and then I can stop the recording process at the conclusion of the meeting. 

Plenty of alternatives - you can even record in the entire session in the Evernote note

The reason I like the Cogi app is because I don't want a recording of the whole session
There may only be n important points
In my note taking, I've noted these points and I can refer to the recording for more detail

Note: I liked the way Livescribe synchronized the audio to the notes.  My compromise is to reduce the amount of audio to only the important points and split it into sections

• Level 5*

Excuse a query from a keyboard-only (well,  mostly) geek,  but why not just replace the livescribe pen?  Is it an Evernote-only version,  or can this sort of thing be bought of the shelf still?  (Just nosy)

I use Wave notebook by Rocketbook...you can choose from 8 or so cloud services to upload picture of the note..can choose which notebook you want notes in evernote to be placed....once notebook full you microwave all notes erased and you can re use notebook

9 minutes ago, rmw1 said:

I use Wave notebook by Rocketbook...you can choose from 8 or so cloud services to upload picture of the note..can choose which notebook you want notes in evernote to be placed....once notebook full you microwave all notes erased and you can re use notebook

Interesting.  I'l definitely check it out, thanks for your reply.  Does Wave Notebook take audio recordings as well?  Do you require a special pen I assume?  Is the  upload automatic or do you have to manually upload?

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Excuse a query from a keyboard-only (well,  mostly) geek,  but why not just replace the livescribe pen?  Is it an Evernote-only version,  or can this sort of thing be bought of the shelf still?  (Just nosy)

Good question; The Livescribe Wifi pen is no longer available or manufactured.  

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, rmw1 said:

That's funny - you really do microwave the notebook
Other than re-using paper - what features does this product offer

Uploading to Evernote is least of my concerns
Coming from the Livescribe world; OCR and audio are important

Moleskin has a solution that is just OK; Again, it will add more steps to my daily workflow which is not ideal.  The Moleskin alos does not have the ability to record audio, so there's another step or process that I would need a solution for. Moleskin for EN

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RobD said:

Good question; The Livescribe Wifi pen is no longer available or manufactured.  

So, is your intention to stay with the Livescribe product, adjusting for the loss of the wifi connection

They still offer a  Bluetooth interface

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

So, is your intention to stay with the Livescribe product, adjusting for the loss of the wifi connection

No,  not at all. Ideally,  I'd like to have the same functionality and workflow that I have now with the Livescribe WiFi.  I'm open to  any and all solutions that closely mimic my current functionality.  

• Level 5*
Just now, RobD said:

No,  not at all. Ideally,  I'd like to have the same functionality and workflow that I have now with the Livescribe WiFi.  

I updated my post with   They still offer a Bluetooth interface

That solution would work for me

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I updated my post with   They still offer a Bluetooth interface

That solution would work for me

I'm not clear on which  solution you are referring to.  Livescribe 3?

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Livescribe Pen - I think its there latest version

OK thanks.  I think that's the Livescribe 3. That may be my best option although again,  it would add more steps to my current workflow.  LS3 and the Moleskin for EN appear to be my best options at this point.  There a yet to be released smartpen called Phree that has potential as well.  

• Level 5*

reMarkable also looks like it might be a really cool solution in the future - but it's not out yet (they're taking pre-orders) and there's no talk of any Evernote integration at its initial release.  Just thought I'd point it out to keep your eye on longer-term.

On 12/18/2016 at 8:26 AM, RobD said:

Interesting.  I'l definitely check it out, thanks for your reply.  Does Wave Notebook take audio recordings as well?  Do you require a special pen I assume?  Is the  upload automatic or do you have to manually upload?

Wave does not take audio...you snap picture with app on phone and notes go to whatever cloud service you have designated..I have two separate EN notebooks plus google drive designated depending on note...you use the Pilot  Frixion Erasable ink pen...in April new version will be released where you simply wipe with moist cloth no microwaving

Archived