When a synced note is moved to a local notebook, does it stay on the cloud?

jonbris

Hi everyone,

I've just started the process of going paperless, which has included scanning in financial documents such as bank statements into synced notebooks. Having scanned a number of these documents, I've now decided they would be better off – more secure – in local notebooks. If I move a previously synced note to a new, local notebook, does a version of it still live somewhere on the cloud? Or is the cloud version deleted? If the latter, is there an official privacy statement somewhere to say so?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find any answers by searching.

Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 2016-12-16 at 3:49 AM, jonbris said:

If I move a previously synced note to a new, local notebook, does a version of it still live somewhere on the cloud? Or is the cloud version deleted?

No, after moving your note to a Local Notebook, there is no version on the cloud.

Make sure you back up your Local Notebooks; you lose the recovery options in moving to Local Notebook.  

Did you consider using encryption to protect your data?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jonbris said:

I did – but the notes are pdfs, and apparently can't be encrypted after storing in Evernote.

Encrypted pdfs are my primary method of storing private data I want to keep secure

No reason you can't encrypt pdfs after storing in Evernote.

No reason you can't encrypt pdfs after storing in Evernote.

How do you do that? I don't see any option when I command-click, and I've read elsewhere you have to export pdfs into Preview, encrypt, rename, then re-upload into Evernote.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, jonbris said:

How do you do that? I don't see any option when I command-click, and I've read elsewhere you have to export pdfs into Preview, encrypt, rename, then re-upload into Evernote.

Encrypting PDFs is not an Evernote feature; you will have to use a third party app.

As you mentioned, Mac Preview has the feature.  
I use an Automator script, so I just right click on the PDF and select the "Open With"
- documented here
Be aware, Macs don't provide a high level of encryption

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, sunvalley said:

@DTLow, what utility to you recommend or use for PDF encryption? I am considering this approach in the short term to better secure my data within Evernote. My primary evernote platform is the Windows client.

As I said, I'm just using the built in facilities on my Mac.
You can search the forum for a discussion on this - A-PDF was recommented 
- good price and better security level

I think encrypted pdfs are a good approach to privacy for data you're uploading to the cloud

• Level 5*

If you want to be able to search the contents of the PDFs, an alternative is to store the PDFs in a local notebook(s) and periodically export the notebook(s) to an ENEX file and then encrypt that file to DropBox or the like.  Some risk with this kind of data backup since it is not real time, but the benefits of searching are achieved.  Risk/reward and all that.  FWIW.

Archived