Sentence/Word Tagging System (vs. notes only)

Tyler Nethercott

Idea

I would like to have the ability to be able to tag sentences or words in my notes rather than only the notes themselves.

I use Evernote to do a daily work journal. I take notes for all of my meetings, thoughts, projects, etc. in this journal.

I have a color coding system to remember to follow up on things like QUESTIONS, THOUGHTS, IDEAS, FOLLOW UP, etc...

But this requires going laboriously back through what is sometimes pages of notes to data glean and transcribe over into other documents.

If I could tag things as "Question"...and for that matter also tag someone's name and then access all questions I had for Steve Johnson by simply searching under the tags "Question" and "Steve Johnson"...that would be a serious game changer.

This would also provide functionality for data/text coding work.

I like to read. If I capture a blog post with web clipper and can read it and tag SENTENCES instead of the whole article, and then search my tag later to capture all sentences related to "tacos," the utility would be incredible.

Please let me know if there is already a way to do this.

I hope to hear back!

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Something you could try would be to add key words in the note for each QUESTIONS, THOUGHTS, IDEAS, FOLLOW UP.  Precede each keyword with an underscore, _.  Then when you do a Ctrl-F find within the note you can locate all of the items by searching for _, or individual types by searching for _Q or _T or _I or _F.  Also from a macro level, an EN search of _Q would return all notes with a question.  And I suppose there are methods you could use to eliminate notes from which you had completed your copying.

FWIW.

• Level 5*
On 2016-12-15 at 1:56 PM, Tyler Nethercott said:

I have a color coding system to remember to follow up on things like QUESTIONS, THOUGHTS, IDEAS, FOLLOW UP, etc...

But this requires going laboriously back through what is sometimes pages of notes to data glean and transcribe over into other documents.

If I could tag things as "Question"...and for that matter also tag someone's name and then access all questions I had for Steve Johnson by simply searching under the tags "Question" and "Steve Johnson"...that would be a serious game changer.

You've already tagged the entries
However colour isn't entirely useful - as per @csihilling a keyword would be more useful for a search

You're limited on the Web Platform
On the Mac platform we have built in scripting (Applescipt) and can pass notes through a filter to process tagged entries - it works great for the data glean/transcribe

• Level 5

If you have captured a lot of web pages, using the underscore first will find a lot of incorrect results. That is because the Evernote character reader is trying to interpret some of the graphics that are found on web captures. I frequently capture web pages that include an image of twitter comments. Evernote can be very creative in interpreting those images!

So I decided to use a different format for my keywords. I add 7777 in front of a keyword.  The 7777 code is something I arbitrarily decided on. For example, my template for a phone call includes the code 7777Phone. The font color is a light gray so it is almost invisible, but Evernote search finds it easily. And does not pull in false positives.

Other examples:  7777ct - notes for my car Taurus (purchase, title, registration, repairs, issues, maintenance) 

But to be honest, I have fallen back to tags. They are easier, more powerful, and dead-on accurate.

EDIT: Sorry, I did not realize you are using the web. I can't help on that platform. For my needs, it is too restrictive to useful.

Archived