Not using synch but monthly limit reached

bertie111

As I didn't want to use synch I turned it off thinking that I would be then using local folders but every time I enter EN I get a message that I have exceeded my monthly limit? How can I stop this please? I haven't used EN for some time but thought I would make use of the data I already have. Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Thanks

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bertie111 said:

As I didn't want to use synch I turned it off thinking that I would be then using local folders but every time I enter EN I get a message that I have exceeded my monthly limit? How can I stop this please? I haven't used EN for some time but thought I would make use of the data I already have. Have I missed a setting somewhere?

As far as I know you cannot turn off sync -- in the Windows client you can affect synchronization settings (instant, on exit, background, etc.), but you cannot disable it entirely. 

You should check to make sure that your notebooks are in fact local notebooks, and not synced. In the Windows client, right-click on the notebook in the notebook list, and select "Properties...". The "Type" setting should be "Local notebook"

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  What's your OS and what version of Evernote are you using - desktop / web / mobile??

Update. I had one folder that was marked as synched so I created a new local folder and moved all the data across then deleted the now empty original folder.  I closed EN down and restarted but i still get the message saying that I have exceeded the monthly limit.

How can I stop this messge?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bertie111 said:

every time I enter EN I get a message that I have exceeded my monthly limit?

4 minutes ago, bertie111 said:

I'm using Windows 10 Anniversary, latest build 1607 and Evernote 6.4.2.3788 (303788) Public.  
I Also double checked, all my notebooks are Local.

Did you actually check your upload stats
On my Mac, I can go to my Account Info and see: Monthly Usage .... remaining this month

fwiw  I occasionally get this method flashing by on my iPad, with the suggestion I upgrade (I'm currently premium)

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, bertie111 said:

I'm using Windows 10 Anniversary, latest build 1607 and Evernote 6.4.2.3788 (303788) Public.

I Also double checked, all my notebooks are Local.

Check whether you have a Trash notebook (you should - that's where deleted notes go to hang out) and right-click > Empty Trash

Also - click Help and Got To My Account Page - you'll see your monthly usage there,  and how many days until it resets.

If you already exceeded it,  the app may whinge about it until it resets - no way to switch that off that I'm aware of.

By the way - without syncing,  the only copy of your notes is what's on your hard drive.  Make sure you backup your system regularly.  :)

Yes, emptied trash, but I still have a folder which I transferred some notes from into a new local folder but the delete is greyed out so I cannot delete it. All my other folders are now local. The one I can't delete is a synced folder though.

My account says twelve days to reset. But I don't want to sync anything, I back up to two USB discs on a daily basis. I have unticked all the options in Tools/Options/Sync. I also just rebooted again and this time the 'exceeded monthly limit' has not appeared.

Am I misunderstanding something? If I am not syncing any data the monthly limit is irrelevant isn't it?

Thanks for assistance!

• Level 5*

Your greyed-out synced folder won't delete until you go back online - the original is stored on the web server.  You could try signing in via Evernote.com and deleting it there to remove the information at source.  But you're right;  local folders don't use up any upload allowance,  so quotas are irrelevant.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, bertie111 said:

Update. I had one folder that was marked as synched so I created a new local folder and moved all the data across then deleted the now empty original folder.  I closed EN down and restarted but i still get the message saying that I have exceeded the monthly limit.

5 minutes ago, bertie111 said:

Am I misunderstanding something? If I am not syncing any data the monthly limit is irrelevant isn't it?

Once you've exceeded your monthly limit, then you're still over the limit: it's a total bytes that you've uploaded  over the month limit, not a limit on the size of your synced notebooks. Options in Tools / Options / Sync don't stop syncing from occurring, even if your Windows version is all local notebooks: syncing is  a two-way operation.

OK.  I've been online but I still cannot delete the empty folder. Not a problem, I will just ignore it. But more importantly there are no longer any of my main folders, the ones I want to work with so it looks like I have what I want. So in effect, apart from the undeleted folder there is no trace of my 'current stuff' on line so it does look as though I'm no longer synching my data.

Archived