Kindle to Evernote: Python script

benhorvath

Hello,

I've been using Evernote for a few years, and was looking for someway to transfer my thousands of Kindle highlights to it. Github had a few solutions, but they were all several years old and didn't really make good use of the API.

I wrote my own Kindle2Evernote Python script. I'm not sure what else to do with it, and would be interested if any developers have any futher ideas for me. I'm not super interested in providing for the everyman with some kind of GUI, but for people with basic programming experience should be able to make use of it.

In brief, a user gets a development token from Evernote, and downloads their highlights page from kindle.amazon.com, and directs the script to it. The script parses the HTML, and sends the API one note for every highlight, containing the name of the book, the author, the highlight, a Kindle link to the passage, and various IDs.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Level 5*
On 2016-12-12 at 8:21 AM, benhorvath said:

I wrote my own Kindle2Evernote Python script. I'm not sure what else to do with it, and would be interested if any developers have any futher ideas for me. I'm not super interested in providing for the everyman with some kind of GUI, but for people with basic programming experience should be able to make use of it.

In brief, a user gets a development token from Evernote, and downloads their highlights page from kindle.amazon.com, and directs the script to it. The script parses the HTML, and sends the API one note for every highlight, containing the name of the book, the author, the highlight, a Kindle link to the passage, and various IDs.

Not a Kindle user but your writeup raised some alarms for me
Could you skip the "development token from Evernote" and just output to simple text files
I can handle importing text files into Evernote using an import folder on my Mac/Windows

• 2 weeks later...
On December 14, 2016 at 5:12 PM, DTLow said:

Could you skip the "development token from Evernote" and just output to simple text files
I can handle importing text files into Evernote using an import folder on my Mac/Windows

As it stands the project is basically inaccessible to those with less than some scripting experience, but I agree that's a good idea to at least make it a possible option of users. Thanks!

Archived