Database Changed?

I am moving from using Snow Leopard to Yosemite. 

I have an SSD as my boot drive and moved my database using a symbolic link. In effect, the folder containing all EN data is replaced by an alias pointing to a folder on a regular HDD containing the same data. 

Now, when I updated to Yosemite, I see the folder structure for Evernote seems completely different. Since I planned to dual-boot, sometimes going back to Slow Leo, I'd need to have two databases on the harddrive. 

Has anyone run into this, and are there any better approaches? 

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, JoeTaxpayer said:

I have an SSD as my boot drive and moved my database using a symbolic link.

I'm sure you probably know that sym links are not officially supported by Evernote.  But if it's working for you, that's great.  You may want to make sure you have an active, frequent, backup of Evernote (like Time Machine hourly), as there may be some risk of corruption and/or data loss.

7 hours ago, JoeTaxpayer said:

I am moving from using Snow Leopard to Yosemite.

If you can, I highly recommend upgrading to El Capitan.  There are almost no downsides ( Evernote is very stable on El Capitan), and many benefits.  I am a very cautious upgrader, waiting a year to upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan, and I have not had any issues.

Good luck with your sym link setup.  I really hope it works well for you.  Please do keep us updated on this.

Oh, one other point about the sym link.  EN Mac uses a real, SQLite database (which is small) for managing Note metadata, while the actual Note contents and attachments are in folders/files.  You might find it beneficial to leave the SQLite database on your SSD, since it will be in constant use when running EN Mac.

Archived