Option to disable the message "You are leaving Evernote." on external links

kmae

Idea

I just wanted to add that after being annoyed for so long by this change I have decided to finally leave evernote. I tried so many different things in my frustration but I have finally decided that oneNote is the best alternative. I use evernote frequently to make lists of links so this is pretty frustrating. I'm not in love with oneNote the web UI is a bit clunky but its apps are pretty decent. 

This is the one and only reason I have decided to leave. It literally makes the experience of using evernote unbearable. I was so hoping evernote would have made an option to disable it by now but no luck. Farewell evernote.

• Level 5*

Could it be this easy?  I rarely use Evernote Windows because it has so many less features than the desktop version,  but I recently saved some bookmarks that I need to get to so..  I happily middle-clicked my mouse in Firefox (which is the 'open in new tab' shortcut I use a lot) and got through about 10 before it occurred to me that all my new tabs opened up without a single "you are leaving..." message!

Went back to recheck,  and yes - left-clicking a link gets a warning;  middle-clicking doesn't.  So any of you that have 3-button mouses (possibly with Firefox) can maybe have a 'leaving' free life!!

In some cases, if you need to use the same note several times, the solution can be export the note as a html file and import this file in the browser.  I created my own starting page with this method. 

And yes, this feature is really annoying.

Please remove this 'feature'. It's annoying and pointless. Why the hell is this message showing when we click a link WE ADDED FOR OURSELVES to a note?! It makes no sense at all. What's the thought process here? Imagine even if some hacker did get access to someone's account and added a malicious link, and the user clicks it... Will he suddenly decide not to follow the link because this useless message appears? Does anyone ever click 'back' on that screen? "Oh no, I'm leaving Evernote, I am freaking out! Thank god for that back button!" If you would track the behavior on that page, you will notice how much % of users click that 'back' button. 

So please hire someone who has a clue about usability.

Also, please make a Linux client.

I created an account here just to complain about this "feature".. it is as though some product manager at Evernote is gaming the "time on site" metric.  As Evernote keeps ignoring these issues & walls off their application they make me more keen for a replacement every day.

• Level 5*
On 5/11/2018 at 9:17 AM, sillylogger said:

I created an account here just to complain about this "feature".. it is as though some product manager at Evernote is gaming the "time on site" metric.  As Evernote keeps ignoring these issues & walls off their application they make me more keen for a replacement every day.

I believe the recent Windows Beta now includes some more friendly (and optional) warnings about various account limits and actions.  While a 'simple' update to fix one message might seem a quick fix that is being willfully delayed,  Evernote apparently had a more detailed overhaul of the user interface in mind which took a little time to design,  test and release.  They're also making some detailed  changes to the web client (which could be good news or bad news!) but probably means it's not cost effective to change the old version at all - any new features will be in the new one...

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Brian Jackson said:

+1. Can't use Evernote until this is removed... not double-clicking on my notes all day long. Doesn't make any sense. 

The Windows client now includes "Evernote client asks once and remembers when you don't want to see a "note move" notification".  They're busy rewriting the entire web client - recently reissued as a Chrome-only Business version - so updates to the current web version(s) seem unlikely until that rewrite trickles down to the rest of the Evernote versions.

Please give us an option to remove this feature.

It is a serious impediment to workflow especially when you move through tens to hundreds of links a day. Something as small as this will bring your business to its knees when a competitor does what you won't do and by then it will be too late. You cannot be oblivious of all these complaints.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Joseph Dickson said:

Why is this still a problem 4 years later with Evernote for Web?

This confirmation slows me down and breaks my otherwise smooth workflow. :(

Since I get the same warning from other online services,  I assume it's 'good practice' from some web authority or other.  It's been 4 years since this was introduced,  so it doesn't seem likely that there is going to be a rethink any time soon...

• Sad 1

+1 Will drop my Evernote subscription as my company won't let me install the client on their Work machine - using everyone Web is my only option, and this double click is so annoying and time consuming that I will not use it.

I can't believe the comments on here are so old, and I've stumbled across them trying to find a way to turn it off. The TamperMonkey solution looks OK, but really?? We have to hack the site to make a small change that has had no official response (that I've found so far) in 3 years? Came back to Evernote from Keep due to a yearning for some markup, but really, I'll happily go back... Anyone have a favourite replacement they've migrated to?

On 6/30/2020 at 6:21 PM, Harristribe said:

Ironically as the original poster of this solution I have since moved on from Evernote (and believe me I’ve tried them all – including Keep). I’ve finally settled on a good compromise in the form of Joplin (https://joplinapp.org/).

Count me as another Joplin user. The current form is very nice and the web clipper is superb. And versioning is quite nice. I'm not a heavy user of the "to do" list, but have occasionally needed that.

Yes, it does not clip videos, but I've never wanted that.

I sync everything between 2 PCs, an Android tablet and an Android phone. 

Before I settled on Joplin I tried Keep (far tooo basic) Zoho Notebook (awkward and very limited features, and too chatty calling home) and QOwnNotes (too many manual tweaks, slow loading, and no workable sync app).

I haven't touched Evernote in a year now, and have deleted 98% of my Evernote content. I'll probably kill the account soon. The device limit pushed me to the edge along with privacy limitations inherent within Evernote itself.

I still use OneNote as its organizing features are unparalleled... but not so much for web-clipping (which is horrid).

STRONGLY AGREE as a PRO user...  Especially since it seems a TRIVIAL fix and there are no disagreements that I see or responses from EverNote as to the effort to implement this suggestion in the last 2+ years.

1) I'd like to be able to GoTo a link immediately rather than having to go thru the "You are leaving Evernote. ..." dialog box.  ... I realize the difficulty of differentiating between he Edit link and the Goto link. so here are my preferences:
          1.1) Click on the link to GoTo and Long Hold and in the Dropdown menu to  [Edit] and [Remove] and [Goto].
          1.2) On PC, If you don't want to do 1.1),  at least have a third option [GoTo].
(re: links)

2) Document in the "Insert Link" dropdown [Chain] the CTRL-Key that can also be used to do the function. Note: Do this with other appropriate dropdowns and implement as many CTRL-Keys as reasonable.

Note: If others dislike this, you could allow me/them to set this behavior as a Note-by-note setting.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, mll said:

it seems a TRIVIAL fix

There ain't no such thing as a 'trivial fix' when you have 200M users worldwide using several operating systems and syncing 24/7.

2 hours ago, mll said:

responses from EverNote

Evernote does not (usually) respond in the public forums as to whether or when they might release an update.  You can check out the blog to see the ongoing work that is currently in Beta and may address your issue... or as a subscriber you could contact Support for some direct feedback.

Sorry about my tone. I was a Coder, but never involved in the operation and support of a large user community and a large,  essential, and flexible tool, My bad... But that was no excuse for my incivility.

I'll look at the blog and beta to learn.

Thanks for the information and response.

p.s. I even have more to apologize for. I  now note that I did submit this to your support requests and got a "read and noted for the development team." I should have remembered and that is satisfactory. Sorry again.

• Like 1
On 12/25/2020 at 1:05 AM, Greggles said:

Ditto - Methinks they have lost their way in forgetting 'productivity' and 'efficiency' apps aren't best served by adding an extra click just for the sake of it.

And it's not just a extra click. It's

1. The original click--then
  2. wait for the OutboundRedirect.action page to decide to show its useless warning, then
  3. the extra click for the Continue button.

The waiting makes it all the worse. I suppose I could click a bunch of links, wait for those to show the OutboundRedirect.action page, then click the Continue buttons--but then I'd be dealing with a bunch of tabs. Not so ideal.

Productivity software shouldn't get in my way.

Thank you, so much! "You are leaving Evernote" warnings were driving me nuts :blink:

On 1/6/2020 at 9:18 PM, Joseph Dickson said:

I found a trick to bypass the alert page.

Right click on a link then select "Open Link in a New Tab" (or Window, Private Window) from the context menu.

image.png.f009f17d9c8e5b7ab522f8ff6cbef83d.png

It requires a few steps but is quicker than navigating the alert page with a mouse / trackpad or hitting Tab several times.

Shortcuts in Windows on Firefox

• "Right click" + "t" + "Enter" will open in a new tab
  • "Right click" + "w" will open in a new window
  • "Right click" + "p" + "Enter" will open in a new private window

Chrome, MacOS and LInux may have slightly different combinations but it could be committed to muscle memory... I suppose.

If this is any good news, the Desktop client -- at least the beta for Linux -- does not have this annoyance. Clicking links will directly open the browser on the destination URL. I'm guessing, the Windows Desktop client will do that as well?

what's really pretty silly is that this is 5+ years old AND if you just right-click > open in new tab you don't get the "leaving evernote" page.  it just goes to the desired link.  it seems like such a low-hanging piece of fruit to make a lot of users happy no?  isn't that the goal?  at least give an option saying "yes i understand the risks" now give me the direct link without the wrapper.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gardwired said:

it seems like such a low-hanging piece of fruit to make a lot of users happy

The Evernote team aren't stupid,  so perhaps we should assume that there are some important facts we're unaware of - maybe technical or scheduling - that prevent this happening.  They'll get it done as soon as they can... although other sites do this to me;  I assume it's part of some web protocol or other.  Good job it's so simple to get around,  eh?

I wasn't going to add to the void here, but I came back to Evernote to annotate articles I've collected, only to run into this issue again. For me, the interstitial is only part of the problem. 

When I save an article and open its note, I get the original URL in a little area in the top right. 

• Click 1: select the URL (cannot right click to go straight to the URL, in-text URLs work this way, not the original source URL)
  • Click 2: "View Source"
  • Click 3: "Continue" - this is the interstitial page
  • Possible Click 4: "Continue" again because the interstitial didn't fully load after Click 3.

I've yet to see a good argument as to why it is this way. Good luck on this one though. 

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, AnonymousSquirrel said:

What's a good alternative to Evernote that doesn't do this to its users?

It's a little ridiculous that I put links into Evernote, because, you know, I want to be able to click on them later.

But apparently Evernote doesn't want me to be able to do that???

Hi.  How do you interpret an "are you sure?" message that can be cleared with one click as preventing you clicking the link?

-And.  Please see previous comments about contacting Evernote on this.

I mean, it's absurd. It's an extra annoyance EVERY time I click a link. I have an entire note full of links that I created to follow up on a topic, and as I go through this note and click on every link, I have to either right click to open in new tab, or click and take an extra step of approving myself to go to my own link.

What purpose could this possibly serve? The only links that are in my Evernotes are links that I put there myself. It's not like these links are coming in from 3rd parties and might be dangerous. It's not like I can't easily hit the back button in my browser to return to Evernote. 

And so, the only conceivable purpose of imposing an extra barrier, which can never be turned off, EVERY time I click a link, even if I click 20 links in a row... would be to discourage me from leaving Evernote. Probably there is some business metric at Evernote that measures how much time users spend on the site and some "brilliant" product manager thought that making it a little harder to do every time would help drive that metric up. I really can't think of any other explanation. Can you?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, elondaits said:

This is about the danger of someone sending you to an Evernote page

Er no, it's not. Several other apps I use have the same step,  and it's simply to remind you that the link you're clicking on is going to take you out of the nice, safe environment of Evernote and out into the big,  bad Interweb.  As I hinted before it's just the "are you sure?" of linking,  and it's meant to keep users secure.

6 minutes ago, elondaits said:

the only people not ignoring our requests

This forum is supported by other users (like me) who try to help,  where we can,  by pointing people -usually politely- in the direction of work-arounds or solutions.  I don't believe we've told anyone "you're wrong" (apart from above) - in this case I just suggested that complaints on this are best directed at Evernote through a support ticket or feedback link - they'll get there sooner. 

While Evernote do read the forum posts,  there's a lot going on here and they may not get around to this thread until well after the holidays.  And this isn't a request show:  Evernote are looking for feedback and ideas - they're not interested in debating which feature they should implement next. 

Occasional ranting by users,  however,  is allowed.

Have a good Holiday.

On 12/22/2016 at 3:16 PM, Harristribe said:

Hi All,

I too am very frustrated with this new *feature* and decided to find a work around until Evernote give us the option to disable this feature (although I suspect that they have introduced it to gather statistics so may never will).

However, if like me you use Google Chrome this works quite well:

1. Install a Google Chrome extension called TamperMonkey (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo/related)
  2. Open up the TamperMonkey settings (Left click on the new icon shown top right in chrome)
  3. Create a new script and past in the code shown below (copy paste everything in blue)

The TamperMonkey extension allows us to inject and run our own Javascript on page load. The @inlcude bit in the script below tells TamperMonkey to only run this script on any pages that have a URL that starts with https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action. The script then grabs the target destination (i.e. the link we want to show) and tells the browser to immediately redirect there (bypassing the need to press evernotes continue button).

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Evernote Outbound Clicker
// @namespace   http://harristribe.co.uk/
// @version      1.0
// @description  Avoids the evernote outbound page 
// @author       Rob Harris
// @include     https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action*
// @grant        none
// @run-at       document-start
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

var urlParams = new URLSearchParams(window.location.search);
    window.location.href = urlParams.get('dest');
})();

Hope that helps

Rob

Thanks, but is it possible to disable that intermediate page, for better performance? Can we write a JS that will change some mouse click event?

• Level 5*
On 3/14/2024 at 5:24 PM, zdanevich said:

My userscript to solve this - without intermediate screen clicking https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/489822-evernote-direct-link-opening-without-you-are-leaving-evernote

Hmmn.  Third party promotions aren't really permitted here with Evernote's approval and double posts are definitely not allowed.  Please don't double post.