What can be said about Scruggles?

Glennie

Idea

Well, one of these is true.

When she suggested that changes were on the way and that all we had to do was wait for a bit 

and

when she suggested that communication between web users on the forum and Evernote was going to improve.

She:

1. was not telling the truth

2. had not been told the truth and was telling the lies that she had been told but which she thought were the truth

3. had been told the truth but had not understood the truth that she had been told and so misinformed everyone unintentionally

4. was mistaken

5. had been told to tell us things by other people who were mistaken

6. told the truth in terms of Evernotes intentions (intentions which have come to nothing because of difficulties that could not be foreseen by Scruggles or the Evernote team).

Feel free to expand the list!

There could be a novel in here somewhere! :)

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Any specific reason for your comments,  or just generally unhappy?  As this is in the web section,  you might check out this lengthy post from a month ago...

" A little over six months ago the Evernote web team started building a brand new web client....."  https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2016/10/17/bringing-micro-services-to-the-client-side-project-ion-and-micro-components

Thanks for that link.

It is just very unacceptable that a company representative comes online with assurances and then does not come back online to apologise when those "promises" really have not been kept. It is shoddy. Not good practice. I think it should be remarked upon.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Glennie said:

Thanks for that link.

It is just very unacceptable that a company representative comes online with assurances and then does not come back online to apologise when those "promises" really have not been kept. It is shoddy. Not good practice. I think it should be remarked upon.

Did you try messaging her directly before going public?

No. But there are options there which would exonerate her completely. She may very well be totally blameless.

In any case, if anything was promised, it was promised to everyone...not to me individually.

And perhaps I can add this. Those of us who are paying for this service (and I am) are entitled to:

1. expect improvements at reasonable intervals

2. expect explanations or apologies if those improvements are not forthcoming .... and not forthcomging...and not forthcoming...like the request for a black screen for the visually impaired which, if I remember correctly, has been here for three years.

3. some kind of evidence of a wish on the part of the company to maintain decent customer relations.

There has been none of that. And it is not acceptable. 

Scruggles probably is not in a position to, off her own bat, take initiatives of the "public apology to customer" sort. But she presumably has a boss, who has a boss, who has a boss etc. And someone at some time should have remembered the Web version and its patient users.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Glennie said:

Well, one of these is true.

When she suggested that changes were on the way and that all we had to do was wait for a bit 

This would have made more sense if you quoted the post you're referring to

My impression is that "changes are on the way"
- Changes are always on the way; on all the platforms

As to What changes will be implemented; and When
- Nothing is written in stone, and better not to forecast plans
  Some users can't handle disappointment when plans change or don't work out
  They use words like "exonerate" and even want employees to "apologize"

Personally, I pay for the Evernote service and I'm happy with it
Some upgrades are required because of OS changes
The improvement upgrades are a bonus,  I don't insist on them and don't see them as a requirement

At some time in the past there was a post from Scruggles in which she said "watch out for developments over the next six months" or words to that effect. 

Those changes have never happened. 

I understand that nothing is written in stone, but customers have to be treated with more respect than has been evident on this forum. And if they are, they will be prepared to be understanding when the company has not been able to deliver improvements despite its best intentions.

• Level 5*

Unfortunately I think that holding Evernote or their employees accountable for comments made in good faith on the forums is only likely to result in fewer (if any) comments being made.  I recall another tech actually giving a release date for one upgrade,  which was then delayed after the indicated date because of some legal problem.  (Which must have been happening since Shakespeare's time since he had fairly strong views on the profession too...)  The fuss from disappointed potential users was considerable.

I'm happier to have whatever comments staff are prepared to make - recognising that such remarks are not contractually binding,  and can only represent an 'as far as we know' situation since technical issues,  competitors and old fashioned gremlins (and lawyers) can always intervene.  I'll believe releases and new features when they're downloaded and installed.  Until then I'll concentrate on using the version I have as best I can.

I will go with your stoicism, gazumped, although I would like to think that most of us are prepared to look favourably on an organisation that is open enough with its customers to begin its announcements with the words "all things being equal" .... :)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Glennie said:

I will go with your stoicism, gazumped, although I would like to think that most of us are prepared to look favourably on an organisation that is open enough with its customers to begin its announcements with the words "all things being equal" .... :)

I like to think that's pragmatism.  Whatever new features are just around the corner,  I still have to plough ahead now with what's in front of me - the new stuff may promise to halve my working day... but there will be a learning curve,  and some testing,  and maybe it won't work as well as I'd hoped...  I'd rather cross the bridge I'm on than start planning for the one three rivers ahead. 

Archived