Evernote for Android 7.9.7 (search and widget problems)

In the latest update of Evernote for Android (version 7.9.7) I noticed two major bugs:

1. Problems viewing all my tag in the search: Searching within the app with a tag (e.g., typing in the search field the first letters of the desired tag and than clicking on the auto-suggestion for completion) still works fine. But when want to I refine the current search by choosing another tag from the tag list, only a small amount of tags in random choice is displayed, i.e., not all my tags are showing up. 
  2. Opening a note from the widget has become slower and has problems: Selecting a note or reminder from the widget, opens the note as before. But when I want to return to my Android homescreen by clicking the Android back button or the back button of the app, this brings me to the list view of my notes, still remaining inside the app. This different to the previous app versions and somehow annoying and time consuming. This is, however, the first part of the bug. When I subsequently click on the Android home button and I select another note from the widget, the app doesn't show me the selected note, but still brings me back to list view of my notes. I have to close the app and reopen the note again in order to see the note. This is the second part of the bug. Overall, opening a note from the widget has become noticeably slower.

Is anyone facing the same problems?

As of this morning I am experience #2.

All my widgets are opening the same page, regardless of what they are set as shortcuts on my homescreen. It defaults to the last page I interacted with within EN. So the widget and the homescreen icons have become unusable. Any interaction with the large widget list or homescreeen shortcuts open the app on the exact same note/notebook/screen etc.

Currently the only work around I've found is actually using part of the #2 bug you mentioned (double tapping back button) which returns you to the home screen which then allows you to interact with the widget/icon shortcut properly. Hopefully there will be an update of some sort to fix this.

Thanks for your feedback, Jun S. I hope that Evernote will fix this very soon in the next app version. 

To #1: I noticed that the tag list does not show randomly selected tags. Only unstacked tags and the title of my tag stacks are displayed. But the tags inside a stack are not shown and I there is no possibility to "open" the tag stacks in the tag list of the app search. I think, this is definitely a bug since the same error occurs also on my other Android devices. 

Does the Evernote team read this forum? Or is there a link to send them a bug-report?

• Level 5*

Hi.  The Evernote team read these pages,  though they relatively rarely respond here.  I also have version 7.9.7,  and tags are shown as a 'flat' list - ie without any parent/ child relationships - as currently are all tags in mobile clients.  The widget jumps to one note,  unless the 'Evernote' button is used to jump to a list of all notes - again of limited but consistent usefulness... not a bug as such,  but a restriction on the application of this shortcut.  If you start the app normally do you have any problems with its features?

• Level 5
On 12/2/2016 at 5:55 PM, Fir3b477 said:

Opening a note from the widget has become slower and has problems: Selecting a note or reminder from the widget, opens the note as before. But when I want to return to my Android homescreen by clicking the Android back button or the back button of the app, this brings me to the list view of my notes, still remaining inside the app. This different to the previous app versions and somehow annoying and time consuming. This is, however, the first part of the bug. When I subsequently click on the Android home button and I select another note from the widget, the app doesn't show me the selected note, but still brings me back to list view of my notes. I have to close the app and reopen the note again in order to see the note. This is the second part of the bug. Overall, opening a note from the widget has become noticeably slower.

I've done a little testing, and, first of all, I do experience that tapping the back button goes to the main note list (which I rather like; I'd been wishing it would do that for awhile; obviously, this is a matter of different styles of working and using Evernote). Second, only once have I been able to get it to to the list view from the widget or shortcut, rather than to the selected note. I thought it was when I had done something to the note when I had it open before; but now I can't make it happen again no matter what I try. If you are having the problem consistently, I would recommend (if you haven't done these already): restarting the phone; if that doesn't work, clearing the Evernote app's cache; if that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall the app. Hopefully one of these will clear out whatever has become "stuck."

• Level 5
On 12/3/2016 at 2:55 PM, Jun S said:

As of this morning I am experience #2.

All my widgets are opening the same page, regardless of what they are set as shortcuts on my homescreen. It defaults to the last page I interacted with within EN. So the widget and the homescreen icons have become unusable. Any interaction with the large widget list or homescreeen shortcuts open the app on the exact same note/notebook/screen etc.

Currently the only work around I've found is actually using part of the #2 bug you mentioned (double tapping back button) which returns you to the home screen which then allows you to interact with the widget/icon shortcut properly. Hopefully there will be an update of some sort to fix this.

If this is happening consistently, I would recommend (if you haven't done these already): sync Evernote; then restart the phone; if that doesn't work, clear the Evernote app's cache; if that doesn't work, uninstall and reinstall the app. Hopefully one of these will clear out whatever has become "stuck." You won't lose any notes, as long as all of them have been synced.

Archived