Evernote moves to the Cloud - Extended Maintenance Windows

benmc

For the first time in my experience, I had reason to believe my Gmail was compromised.   I found "I" had sent an email to a close friend (but not that person's main address - their scarcely used  Gmail one) using language I don't use.  Email December 6.  I reset my password soon after. 

Today, I found that my Evernote account was asking for a password and not accepting the one that I knew I'd assigned it.

When I reset the password and regained access, I found that I'm missing all recent notes.  

I've only been a baby Evernote user, but depend on it occasionally for some account numbers etc.  Fortunately, not for passwords.

I haven't got Premium, and gather from searching the web site that this is my only way to record my problem, short of establishing Premium membership.

I will probably establish Premium membership - if only in order to get an activity history log.  Can someone though confirm whether - given that I I haven't been a Premium member - the activity history for my past account weeks will be available to me?

Thanks  - spent some time looking for an appropriate place to post this - sorry if it's not ideal.

PS I'm on an old Android phone.  I think syncing was out of date.  Google Play services is broken on my phone and I can't upgrade apps.  On my version, there's no "Support" option on the button with three dots ('...'), and no therefore no activity log option.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I doubt your account was actually compromised - it's pretty easy to spoof an email address and make an email appear to have come from a different account (ie yours).  All they need is your email address.  It's wise to change your password however just in case. 

When you regained access to your account,  did you do so on your phone,  or via a desktop web browser?  It's possible that your most recent notes didn't sync back to the web server,  therefore are still (maybe) trapped on the phone.  It really needs Evernote to sort out what happened with the passwords - if you can use Twitter I'd suggest reaching out on @EvernoteHelps.

On 12/28/2016 at 11:16 PM, phils said:

@tony10000 See if your Windows client is synchronizing properly now.  There was an identified issue with the Windows client sync and I know the Evernote team made a change today which fixed Windows client sync for me.

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Everything is working just fine now!

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, David Earlwood said:

For the first time in my experience, I had reason to believe my Gmail was compromised.   I found "I" had sent an email to a close friend (but not that person's main address - their scarcely used  Gmail one) using language I don't use.  Email December 6.  I reset my password soon after. 

I agree with @gazumped. That said, why do you not have 2 factor authentication on your gmail account? And your Evernote account. Both services offer it and you should NEVER use anything of any value on the web without enabling it. I have it enabled for both of these, as well as Amazon, my Microsoft accounts, Lastpass, and a few dozen others. I could post my passwords on Reddit and they still couldn't get in my accounts.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Kenji Katsuragi said:

Perhaps, my acer smartphone &laptop computer will match with this Evernote relocation to the Google cloud.

There should be no relation to your device types, and the location of the servers

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

When you regained access to your account,  did you do so on your phone,  or via a desktop web browser?

Initially, I think I noted that my history was out-of-date on the web browser.  I'm used to that.  But when I regained access on my phone, the recent entries were missing there, too.  I'd never experienced that.  I have nothing since May 2016.  Most of my updates have been via the phone - certainly, the recent ones.  I believe I've never deleted anything.  Since school finished, I've disabled the phone's PIN, so there's an outside chance that the app was activated and operated by pocket rubs.   I wouldn't have thought so, though.  Thanks for the Twitter tip; will try that.

8 hours ago, EdH said:

...why do you not have 2 factor authentication on your gmail account? And your Evernote account. 

Yes - it's hard to judge where to place yourself sometimes on the security-convenience spectrum.  We're always getting mixed messages in the marketplace.  For example, I was offended by the vulnerability exposed when our credit cards (here anyway) became like cash for purchases of less than $100.  But now I do PIN-less waves all the time.  (The credit card company's bearing the risk and have assessed that they're making more money overall, I guess.).  Personally, I store passwords in the browser sometimes, but never for bank accounts.  I've usually thought of second-factor as overkill only because it's not usually mandated.  Some second factors can cripple.  When my second factor is SMS to my mobile phone I stress over the helplessness I foresee when my phone is lost or out of charge or out of range.   What second factor do you use?  (I have a bank which requires mouse-based icon selection, another which scrambles a keyboard for the password entry to defeat key loggers.)  A brief answer is fine - I don't want to go off-topic, but I don't think this is.  Your response would be pertinent to the main question of where/how far you place trust and protect adequately.  Evernote is a notebook: do you go through zero, one or two authentication procedures every time you enter a note?

• benmc unpinned this topic

Archived