Evernote moves to the Cloud - Extended Maintenance Windows

benmc

Between December 8 and 16, 2016, the Evernote Operations and Engineering teams will migrate the Evernote service from its current physical data centers into the Google Cloud platform.

Why are we making this change?

The Google Cloud platform gives us more flexibility to build and develop the next generation of Evernote services. It also helps us greatly reduce the time needed to restore services in the unlikely event of a loss in our primary data center.

How will this migration affect you?

Between December 8 and December 16, there will be two windows of time during which  Evernote will be unavailable to you.

Your Evernote account is physically located on our servers. It will take approximately 30 minutes to move the server your account resides on from the Evernote data center to the Google Cloud platform. During that time, the service will be unavailable to you. You will not be able to sync notes between devices, and you will be unable to access the web client.

There will also be a 60-minute period on Sunday, December 11, between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m. PST in which the Evernote service will be unavailable to all customers.

You should only experience downtime while your specific server is being moved (approximately 30 minutes) and not during each of the maintenance windows. It is not possible to predict the precise 30-minute window in which your account will be affected. The timetable below outlines the migration and temporary outage schedule.

Maintenance Window

What we are doing

Impact to customers

Thursday, December 8 — Friday, December 9

09:00 - 21:00 PST

Moving User Servers into the Google Cloud platform

Rolling 30-minute downtime for customers. Affected accounts will be unable to sync notes between devices and will not be able to access the web client.

Sunday, December 11 11:00 — 12:00 PST

Moving our central user registration database into Google Cloud

Evernote service will be unavailable to all customers  globally. All accounts will be unable to sync notes between devices and will not be able to access the web client.

Wednesday, December 14—Friday, December 16

Rolling 30-minute downtime for customers. Affected accounts  will be unable to sync notes between devices and will not be able to access the web client

Monday, December 19 

Rolling 30-minute downtime for customers. Affected accounts  will be unable to sync notes between devices and will not be able to access the web client

What difference will I see after this move?

You should not notice any difference to your Evernote account after it has been moved into the Google Cloud environment.

Is there any risk to my data and notes that I’ve stored in Evernote?

No. Protection of your data is our highest priority. The migration process includes copying data onto a new server within the Google Cloud platform. We perform thorough checks to verify all your data has been successfully copied. If any discrepancies appear on the new server, we will not perform the migration until we are able to find a solution, and your data will still reside within the current Evernote data center.

We understand this work will disrupt some of our customers, and we will do everything we can to keep that impact to a minimum. We appreciate your support while we make this move.

The Evernote Team

• gbarry pinned this topic

Just confirming that Premium users will still be able to access notes offline that have previously synced to their device previous to the outage and new notes created during the outage are local until the Evernote service comes back online and they then sync to the Evernote Cloud. Right?

43 minutes ago, Demetri said:

Just confirming that Premium users will still be able to access notes offline that have previously synced to their device previous to the outage and new notes created during the outage are local until the Evernote service comes back online and they then sync to the Evernote Cloud. Right?

Demetri - That is correct, any Evernote client will function as if it were not connected to the internet. As soon as the Evernote service comes back online things will start re-syncing.

hope this helps

Ben

• Level 5*

Hi.  Of course you will be,  but I hope you're publishing this as widely as possible - I can see a flood of panicky users if they're not aware their service is being affected,  even if only briefly....

• Level 5*
On 12/2/2016 at 8:51 AM, benmc said:

Between December 8 and December 16, there will be two windows of time during which  Evernote will be unavailable to you.

I have some emails that are automatically forwarded to my Evernote email address, probably 10-15 a week based on a filter in my Gmail account. Will those all be captured once the various service windows reopen?

• Level 5*

Trying to get my head around this too - so when syncing between devices is unavailable,  editing on one device and on another will generate conflicts;  and when Evernote is unavailable,  clipping web pages - which goes straight to the server - will do what? 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

clipping web pages - which goes straight to the server - will do what?

Bleh - probably error out.

And I assume most (all?) third party services will just puke during the outage? For example, I add a lot of stuff to Evernote via Drafts 4 on my iPhone. I am 99.9% sure that is going to the server and not my local EN client.

So...

• web clipper
  • emails sent to email address
  • third party apps/plugins, like Drafts 4, Outlook on the Windows desktop, the "share" button in FoxIt's PDF app, etc.
  • Sharing via the Evernote button in apps like Feedly on the web
  • IFTTT integrations - will they fail, or just pause? For example, I collect all of my tweets in EN via IFTTT. Will tweets during the outages be missed or picked up?
  • Will public links I've shared be unavailable during my server move or are those saved and served up from somewhere else?
  •  Cronofy, which syncs Evernote reminders with Google Calendar. (per @Dave-in-Decatur below). 

I'm sure I've missed some scenarios...

• Level 5
15 minutes ago, EdH said:

And I assume most (all?) third party services will just puke during the outage?

Oh, you guys and your technical language.... ^_^

Another 3rd-party service to add to your list: Cronofy, which syncs Evernote reminders with Google Calendar. I hope that if I happen to change the time of a reminder in Calendar during my window of non-opportunity--oops, I guess the relevant moment would be Cronofy's window of non-opportunity--it will just hang there in Cronofy till they can connect with Evernote. I hope that; otherwise, as @gazumped says, there will be conflicting changes.

One other thing: since we can't know when our particular service-unavailability will be, what will happen if we try to sync then? I hope our software will give us a can't-connect type error message, rather than leaving us to think something has synced when it hasn't.

So a little more info will be helpful. But I greatly appreciate @benmc for giving us the alert.

9 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

Thanks for the update. Pity that the times are during my 'peak use' of EN. :( 

Sorry about that, we thought long and hard about the best times to do this work and when you have 200 Million users worldwide there is never a good time. 

On 07/12/2016 at 9:10 PM, benmc said:

Sorry about that, we thought long and hard about the best times to do this work and when you have 200 Million users worldwide there is never a good time. 

No problem! I presume the notes I make during that period will save locally, and then sync when the maintainence has stopped?

Also, will intergration work? For example, if I type a note up on Drafts 4, and then save that note using the Evernote intergration, will it save to EN? Also, is EN web available at that time?

Thanks!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

No problem! I presume the notes I make during that period will save locally, and then sync when the maintainence has stopped?

That's the case when you can't reach the web, in general.

2 hours ago, GiacomoLaw said:

Also, will intergration work? For example, if I type a note up on Drafts 4, and then save that note using the Evernote intergration, will it save to EN? Also, is EN web available at that time?

On 12/2/2016 at 11:51 AM, benmc said:

Your Evernote account is physically located on our servers. It will take approximately 30 minutes to move the server your account resides on from the Evernote data center to the Google Cloud platform. During that time, the service will be unavailable to you. You will not be able to sync notes between devices, and you will be unable to access the web client.

Assuming that the servers are not available to you, then it's a safe bet that they won't be available to any integration service either.

I  seem to have lost all my data because I did a sync before I saw that you were migrating to the Microsoft cloud. Will I be able to get my data back? I understand that you will assign me a low priority since I have a free account. I am an old retired guy, so I don't need a lot of sophisticated subroutines. Literally everything that I need to be able to remember, but am unable to remember in my head, is written in my Evernote notes. Please help me. 

Hi Evernote team,

I have getting some unusual notifications and incidents in the last few days and I an not sure if this is as a result of this migration.

1. My bank cancelled your yearly fee payment via PayPal due to some breech

2. I have paid since then via by credit card

3. Now I am still getting notifications that I need to upgrade  etc.

Can you please check there is no security breech or problems from your end 

• Level 5*

Hi.  Your issues shouldn't be due to the migration,  but you'll need to raise a support request to sort out any payment issues.  If you paid through iTunes,  your 'come back' message may simply be due to slow comms between Apple and Evernote.  No clue what would have caused your payment cancellation.  Check your 'My Account' page and go to 'manage subscriptions' to confirm your current account status...

I'll flag this post for a forum Admin to have a look at - if you post your ticket number back here they may be able to help.

Hi

We wanted to let you know that one of the final verification checks for today’s maintenance took longer than planned and as a result we be starting the maintenance at 11:00 PST.

We appreciate your patience.

Regards
Ben

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, benmc said:

We wanted to let you know that one of the final verification checks for today’s maintenance took longer than planned and as a result we be starting the maintenance at 11:00 PST.

Very poor choice of timing.  Why not wait and do it in the early AM hours when fewer people are trying to use your service?

FYI, the Evernote Service has been unavailable to me in the Houston, TX area for about two hours now.  It is not just slow, it is totally unavailable, in spite of your online status page:

Evernote Status

Dec 11, 2016 (11:11 am PT)

Evernote Site Maintenance beginning - 12/11/2016

Please expect slowed connections for the next hour.

All

Our maintenance today was successful but we did experience a number of periodic sync errors for a small number of our users that have now all been resolved. Our Operations and Engineering team are going to continue to monitor the service closely over the next 24 hours.

Regarding the timing of our maintenance windows, unfortunately as we run a global service there are no windows when the service is not used. Today we were trying to prevent running into the start of the Asia Pacific business day.

We also recognize there are improvements that we need to make to ensure maintenance is invisible to our end users, our move to cloud helps close these gaps.

Regards

Ben

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, benmc said:

Our maintenance today was successful but we did experience a number of periodic sync errors for a small number of our users that have now all been resolved.

I guess I was one of those "small number of our users".  ;)

IAC, service now seems to be restored for me.

3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I guess I was one of those "small number of our users".  ;)

IAC, service now seems to be restored for me.

I think you would have been. We have reviewed all of the logs and around 2.5% of our users would have been impacted, I hope it was not too painful for you.

Ben

You guys need to be more future proof in your thinking and choice of providers. Google isn't where I want my personal data. Using a centralised cloud service is a mistake! Your  (our) data will get hacked at some point.

You should be looking at solutions like the SAFEnetwork from MaidSafe. When a new startup builds an evernote competitor on safe then I'll be the first to move.

Ben...

Help! I must have been one of the 2.5% and after multiple attempts at re-sync, my notes and updates since November 15th are GONE.  Granted I only have a standard account, but when I logged on tonight to check my to-do list for the week, I have nothing but an old note from November.  

Please let me know what I can do to get my notes back!

CH

On 09/12/2016 at 1:44 PM, jefito said:

That's the case when you can't reach the web, in general.

Assuming that the servers are not available to you, then it's a safe bet that they won't be available to any integration service either.

Okay, great. Thank you! :) 

Is the fact that note editing with checkboxes is no longer possible from Android device linked to this update? Already the "tap to add" note is bare without options, now the notes you create on the way are equally bare.

6 hours ago, Lelde said:

Is the fact that note editing with checkboxes is no longer possible from Android device linked to this update? Already the "tap to add" note is bare without options, now the notes you create on the way are equally bare.

There were no application updates made as part of our cloud migration.

9 hours ago, hallcs said:

Ben...

Help! I must have been one of the 2.5% and after multiple attempts at re-sync, my notes and updates since November 15th are GONE.  Granted I only have a standard account, but when I logged on tonight to check my to-do list for the week, I have nothing but an old note from November.  

Please let me know what I can do to get my notes back!

CH

CH

Thats not good, can you Message me with you email and I will have someone from our Support team reach out to help you work through this.

Ben

14 hours ago, RungTai Wu said:

China government block any Google services,

I just want to know whether those users (Evernote International) in China will face problem in synchronization?

This was one of the conditions we tested before starting the migration and there was no blocking of our service or synchronization errors. If you have issues please reach out.

Regards

Ben

16 minutes ago, benmc said:

This was one of the conditions we tested before starting the migration and there was no blocking of our service or synchronization errors. If you have issues please reach out.

Phew! Often go to China, would have been havoc if EN could not be used there.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, adamf2 said:

You guys need to be more future proof in your thinking and choice of providers. Google isn't where I want my personal data. Using a centralised cloud service is a mistake! Your  (our) data will get hacked at some point.

You should be looking at solutions like the SAFEnetwork from MaidSafe. When a new startup builds an evernote competitor on safe then I'll be the first to move.

So far, a new competitor that works the way Evernote does hasn't appeared on any service, anywhere. It's not (strictly) about the backend; it's primarily about the actual functionality.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Lelde said:

However, maybe pass on to the people working on apps that for about 4 days the editing options have been very limited (Android, Samsung 4.1.2). I sort of miss them :) 

Then you should post in the appropriate subforum for feature requests and bug reports, probably https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/208-android-product-feedback/ in your case.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, RungTai Wu said:

China government block any Google services,

I just want to know whether those users (Evernote International) in China will face problem in synchronization?

You should be checking out the discussion below and posting there

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, adamf2 said:

So you don't want to use a centralized cloud service, but you want to use MaidSafe (a de-centralized cloud service?).  
- Why do you think there's less risk of being hacked?
- Do you think Magsafe can handle the scale of Evernote's data requirements?

There are various cloud services available - would any of the others satisfy you?

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

So you don't want to use a centralized cloud service, but you want to use MaidSafe (a de-centralized cloud service?).  
- Why do you think there's less risk of being hacked?
- Do you think Magsafe can handle the scale of Evernote's data requirements?

There are various cloud services available - would any of the others satisfy you?

It's not just another cloud service. They are doing amazing things that companies like evernote could take advantage off if they had some vision.

They are rewriting some of the underlying layers of the internet and doing things that have never been done before, Things like - https://maidsafe.net/features.html

Imagine being able to share a 1tb HD instantly at high speed.

Websites that don't slowdown with an increase in traffic but instead speed up!

It's still in Alpha but when it launches it will have a massive impact IMHO.

This video is very informative...

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, adamf2 said:

Maybe, but being in Alpha, I am glad this wasn't even considered by Evernote. I wouldn't put ANYTHING important on a product that is today in ALPHA and may not ever launch properly, or may not live up to the promises.

When you say Evernote has no vision here, I think what that really means is "Evernote has no vision of storing our user's critical data on a service that is in Alpha testing and could be woefully underpowerd for our millions of users or worse, just wipe out massive amounts of data while the product is in development. Instead, we've chosen to go with one of the most powerful, robust, and scalable cloud services that exists today."

And before you say "oh, they will launch" they say they have been a startup for 8 years and that was last year and they still are not feature complete and in beta phase to lock down the code.

Repost in 2020 and let's see what it looks like.

I didn't mean for them to use an alpha project but just wait things out and be more forward thinking. 

I want my data to be as secure as it can be and data centres are not secure. They will get hacked! The NSA gets hacked. 

With The SAFEnetwork there is no central place to attack. Your files are cut up and distributed randomly all over the planet. Only you have the keys to recover them. 

Do you really trust google??

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, adamf2 said:

Do you really trust google??

Yes, I trust the Google Cloud service - it has a good track record and is used by many companies, including Apple iCloud (where I back up my Evernote data)

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, adamf2 said:

I didn't mean for them to use an alpha project but just wait things out and be more forward thinking. 

I think the reason Evernote is moving to another service is because their service is nearing the end of how much more users/data they can handle, so at some point, probably sooner rather than later, current users will begin to suffer through increased outages/maintenance periods, slower response times, etc.

As for data centers not being secure, you do realize that data centers and public cloud services like AWS, Google, and Azure are not the same thing. The latter three (and probably a few others) are generally more secure than enterprise data centers

I think it would be the height of irresponsibility for Evernote to just "wait things out" and then jump on a new untested technology. No thanks. I'd prefer to see some other big name players jump on it first, and let me on a later train.

You read about companies getting their data centers hacked all of the time. When was the last time Google, Amazon, or Micrsoft made the news because their servers were actually hacked? I am not talking about someone fishing for a user's email account. I mean an honest hack that got straight to the databases bypassing all of the user logins, giving the hacker total access to data?

Just one link please. Thanks.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, adamf2 said:

They are rewriting some of the underlying layers of the internet and doing things that have never been done before, Things like - https://maidsafe.net/features.html

Imagine being able to share a 1tb HD instantly at high speed.

Websites that don't slowdown with an increase in traffic but instead speed up!

This video is very informative...

Thanks for sharing this.  If MaidSafe really happens, it will be incredible.  It is a revolution of digital security.

Just a reminder that our work to migrate the Evernote service to Google Cloud continues Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 09:00 to 21:00 PST. You may notice sync errors during the expected 30 min window in which your specific shard is being migrated.

We will update this thread if this plan changes.

regards

Ben

So does this explain why Web clipper isn't working at all this past week? The only threads I can find on the topic are a couple years old. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, everything I can think of? When I click the button, nothing happens. Also when opening pdfs on the web, I no longer see the automatic message "save to evernote." ??

• Level 5
59 minutes ago, Sue Wharton said:

I am very frustrated.....we are a home builder and my site supers depend on this information to access in the field.

I can only assume this is the problem....have called twice and no reply....I have received emails stating my credit card was the problem....that is not true.

Please get back to me....asap.....swharton@cedarknollbuilders.com

Thank you.....Sue Wharton

@Sue Wharton, this is a user-to-user forum, and while Evernote staff do monitor it, it is wide open. I wouldn't leave an e-mail address in plain view. I do hope you're able to contact them and get the issues sorted out for your business.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Sue Wharton said:

I am very frustrated.....we are a home builder and my site supers depend on this information to access in the field.

I can only assume this is the problem....have called twice and no reply....I have received emails stating my credit card was the problem....that is not true.

Not sure who you called, but you should contact Evernote directly at 

Contact Evernote Support Twitter @evernotehelps         

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Kenji Katsuragi said:

Isn't everyone reacting excessively?

Not when Evernote Service has an outage for several hours for no apparent reason.  I did NOT get any notice of this event, and Evernote cannot, and should not, rely on this forum to communicate planned outages.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Kenji Katsuragi said:

What any trouble don't I have 

I have little trouble
Syncing is down so I could have conflicts if I try to access/update a document on two devices
My iPad and Mac have full copies of my notes, but mobile users without offline notebooks have an access problem
Web clipping is also down, since it uses the servers for storage

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, MichelleCdn said:

So does this explain why Web clipper isn't working at all this past week? The only threads I can find on the topic are a couple years old. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, everything I can think of? When I click the button, nothing happens. Also when opening pdfs on the web, I no longer see the automatic message "save to evernote." ??

Hi.  This migration isn't causing your issues,  though you clearly have a problem with your browser / clipper -  what OS / Browser / Clipper version do you have?

I am on Mac OS 10.9.5, Safari 7, Clipper 6.10.2

I know my OS and Safari are a bit older, but I need to leave them as-is for now. (Thanks, Apple.) And it worked fine until last week. I didn't change anything, just opened Safari one day and it doesn't work now?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, MichelleCdn said:

I am on Mac OS 10.9.5, Safari 7, Clipper 6.10.2

I know my OS and Safari are a bit older, but I need to leave them as-is for now. (Thanks, Apple.) And it worked fine until last week. I didn't change anything, just opened Safari one day and it doesn't work now?

Have you tried Chrome to see if you can get it to work at all on 10.9?

I haven't tried Chrome but do use Firefox occasionally. Just loaded the Web Clipper there and it works fine! So it seems to be a Safari 7 issue? Looks like I need to switch browsers.   I think I can get Chrome for 10.9. A slight pain, but certainly do-able. Thanks for the help! :)

All

We wanted to provide you an update on our cloud migration. Progress has been good, we are now running over 60% of the Evernote service from our new home. The downtime experienced by customers has averaged 20 minutes vs our original expectation of 30 minutes.

There are two changes we will be making to our schedule
  • This evening (12/15) at 21:00 PST we will need to perform a restart of the service in order to deploy a patch fix. There will be a period of 20 minutes when the Evernote service is unavailable.
  • We will continue the migrations this Friday and will be completing the migration of the final servers on Monday 19 December between 09:00 and 21:00 PST.
We appreciate your patience as we work through the final steps of our migration.

Regards
Ben McCormack

I have purchased the premium version for 1 year in July 2016 but since about one week my account has been downgraded to the basic version automatically . All attempts to open the support page to adress this problem leads to an error message (unexpected error /SupportLogin.action). How can I reach evernote to report this problem?

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, dcavar said:

How can I reach evernote to report this problem?

Three methods

- The web site - but only for paying users - you might not be eligible :)Contact Evernote Support 

- Twitter Twitter @evernotehelps  

- Hope that @amanda_h pops in on the discussion

btw  You should be aware of the discussion and forum you're posting in
        Better to post in the correct forum

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, jefito said:

Damn, am I going to have to rejoin the Twitterverse just to get in on this?

Honestly, a lot of companies have excellent support on Twitter. I've dealt with Verizon Wireless, Apple Support, Starbucks, Evernote, and Cox Cable on Twitter and the response is a bazilloin times better than calling them up.

Hi,
How can I revert back to a previous version. It seems that some sync conflict deleted my latest edits of one of my notes. WHat I did:

I extended one of my notes last Wednesday through the web browser app on my desktop (which is quite important to me). Today I opened the evernote note on my phone and it was a way old version (had newer ones before on the phone). However, now I wanted to check the content on my desktop (web browser app) again. First I saw the newest edits for about 5 seconds and then it was also reverted to that old version.

Can you please help me to revert back to my latest version? I hope I didn't lose that content...

Thanks

Btw: I tried to open a support ticket but everytime i click on contact support (https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action) I get an error message saying: 

Unerwarteter Fehler.
Unser Server hat unerwartete Probleme mit der Bearbeitung deiner Anfrage(/SupportLogin.action) 
Damit du auf diese Seite zugreifen kannst, musst du dich an deinem Konto anmelden.

But this only brings me back to my evernote account.

16 hours ago, xlr8t17 said:

Hi,
How can I revert back to a previous version. It seems that some sync conflict deleted my latest edits of one of my notes. WHat I did:

I extended one of my notes last Wednesday through the web browser app on my desktop (which is quite important to me). Today I opened the evernote note on my phone and it was a way old version (had newer ones before on the phone). However, now I wanted to check the content on my desktop (web browser app) again. First I saw the newest edits for about 5 seconds and then it was also reverted to that old version.

Can you please help me to revert back to my latest version? I hope I didn't lose that content...

Thanks

Btw: I tried to open a support ticket but everytime i click on contact support (https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action) I get an error message saying: 

Unerwarteter Fehler.
Unser Server hat unerwartete Probleme mit der Bearbeitung deiner Anfrage(/SupportLogin.action) 
Damit du auf diese Seite zugreifen kannst, musst du dich an deinem Konto anmelden.

But this only brings me back to my evernote account.

Can confirm, same with me right now.

Entweder Migration noch nicht beendet oder genereller Fehler. Werde ich im Auge behalten.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

Can confirm, same with me right now.

22 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Have a look into Note History to recover previous versions - it's a paid feature,  but will be available for that note even if you only subscribe for a month.  If you're a Basic user,  you don't have access to support except via this forum,  but you can message them on Twitter

@gazumped thank you indeed, but I am too "much old Europe(an)" to consider a Twitter account as a way of communicating problems.

With Google login provided Evernote might just consider using Google+ accounts for such purposes. 

As discovered yesterday the link to contacting support from my Premium account is currently broken "unexpected error"  (so much for the developers of enhanced user experience):lol:

• Level 5*

I'm a pretty elderly European too,  but needs must..  If you're aware of Google+ though,  you could also try the Evernote groups there...  The company was aware of an issue with the support page as of yesterday - they think they've now fixed it.

3 hours ago, eric99 said:

Is the move to the google cloud sucessfully completed now ?

Yes 99%, we are just finalizing the move of some services that are not customer impacting.

Ben

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, benmc said:

Yes 99%, we are just finalizing the move of some services that are not customer impacting.

Ben

Seemed to be a pretty painless process from this side. I am sure not so much from where you are sitting. Well done!

• Level 5*

so after this was posted, there was another thing where EN was down for 15min for system maint. Will this continue? I was hoping moving to Google would substantially mitigate those 15min downtime events.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, evernote-fan said:

Is the encryption at rest feature already active? 

Assuming that it's on the Google Cloud, then yes, that's probably true (see https://cloud.google.com/security/encryption-at-rest/). The real question would seem to be when/how often is your Evernote data at rest, and when is it not?

Edit: educating myself a bit about data at rest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_at_rest (hey, Wikipedia is always correct, right?). It's just data that's neither "in transit" (e.g. being synced, which we know is encrypted), nor "in use" (being processed by an application, as with indexing, OCR, ML, etc., and probably searches that are done on the server, as when using the web client, and maybe mobile apps; these are almost certainly done on unencrypted data).

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, jefito said:

Assuming that it's on the Google Cloud, then yes, that's probably true (see https://cloud.google.com/security/encryption-at-rest/). The real question would seem to be when/how often is your Evernote data at rest, and when is it not?

ANd how granular is it? I would assume on a note by note basis, as decrypting/encrypting my 8+GB database would not be a fast thing. It says "chunks" though. I wonder what a chunk is for Evernote. the doc says 256KB to 8MB, but both of those would entail multiple notes and probably a partial note in the chunk, which seems weird. Could one note be split between 2 chunks and encryption keys?

And are we under AES256 or AES128?

Either way, we are much better off today than yesterday as customers. I'd like to see some of that encryption come to the macOS and WIndows clients though instead of forcing us to rely on bitlocker, veracrypt, etc.

Well tough luck for me. And for every Evernote user who'll visit Sudan

Google platform blocks Sudanese IP's. so not Evernote or any service hosted on it will be able to used from here.. KhanAcademy for instance

I didn't know about the migration a week ago when i couldn't sync my notes. Been with support but I don't think they have a clue of what is happening, but when i read this announcement i knew why i can't access Evernote and why it wouldn't work again for me

Been a user since 2011

Moving is going to be a pain

• Level 5*
On 2016-12-25 at 6:15 AM, muhadi said:

Google platform blocks Sudanese IP's. so not Evernote or any service hosted on it will be able to used from here

I find this shocking news and want to learn more about it

Discussion moved to

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you point to the source for this information, and any other IP's that Google Platform blocks.

You should be posting this in the discussion below 

Posted

Google cloud platform blocks usage from countries that was embargoed by U.S. government which is clearly over complying since the embargo it self is lifted on digital services. Amazon AWS doesn't ammend such policies and can be used from anywhere in the world

Getting message @1PM 12/26:

Evernote Service is unavailable

Possible reasons:

We may be performing regular system maintenance (typically Wednesday evenings, US Pacific time)

We may be experiencing unexpected problems that require a brief outage

In either case, we are working to restore access to the Evernote Service as quickly as possible.

Desktop versions of Evernote will continue to work, but will be unable to sync until service is restored.

====

Update:

System came back up a few minutes later.  This is the second outage that I have seen in the last week.  Are these going to be more common now that Evernote has moved to Google's servers?

• Level 5*

I don't think this is down to Google or Evernote specifically.  The holidays are a busy time of year for the internet.  The folks who aren't facetiming their nearest and dearest are busy streaming music and films.  My internet speeds in the UK are unbelievably slow compared with normal.

Check http://status.evernote.com/ if you're in any doubt.

Happy holidays... :(

Archived