Bulleted list copy/paste problems

Go to solution Solved by BSR,

Anyone else seeing this?

1. Create a note, make a bulleted list with multiple indention levels
  2. Create a new note and start a bulleted list there, too
  3. Go to note created in step 1, copy a chunk of list data
  4. Go to note create in step 2, place cursor within the list there and paste the list data from Note 1

What I see is that not all the data from the list in my clipboard is pasted into the new list. Usually it just pastes the last bullet and its child nodes

• Like 1

I've been having the exact same issue as well. I've restarted my computer (Macbook Air, OS X El Capitan 10.11.6) multiple times and I've uninstalled/reinstalled, but to no avail. Any tips on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated because all of my notes are bulleted lists actually. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been having problems with bulleted lists in the iOS version for years and it seems they have propagated the behavior to the macOS client.

Bulleted lists are still dysfunctional

Copy/paste bugs

First Post - BULLET BUG in EVERNOTE/IOS

These bugs have variably disappeared and reappeared over the years for me. 

I keep seeing promises of some new unified text editor that is cross-platform, which may hopefully fix all of this. Maybe things need to get worse before getting better?

My current bulleted list experience on Evernote on macOs has become intermittently poor. Recently I've been getting lots of odd behavior:

• phantom bullets with an additional line space that can't be removed or edited 
  • can't double click to open any attached document in a bulleted list (note scrolls to top and attachment is deleted)
  • copying one set of bulleted list items to another results in loss of information as noted in this post
  • fn + delete in a bulleted list deletes to the left as opposed to rightwards while in a list
  • on prior versions of macOS (Yosemite and before) bulleted lists could be copied between Evernote and Notes.app. Evernote --> Notes.app works. However, for Notes.app --> Evernote, now the bullets are interpreted as a character and are added in line as tiny dots with change in the size of the font

I still like Evernote a lot, but with each update it seems I need to learn a new set of work arounds. One work around that seems to help if things get messy when copying form one list to another to use the shift + option + command + v to remove formatting. However, this changes the bullets to stars and there is some clean up necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Add me to the list on this one.

This was never a problem up until Decemberish. Now there are phantom bullets 20-40% of the time. I can't quite pinpoint what conditions yield it, but I do see it more often when I task switch back and forth between Evernote and something else.

But yes, infuriating. Makes it soooo slow to find it, go back, backspace/delete, repair the bullet and keep typing. It's a freaking text editor for crying out loud.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I'm seeing this as well on OSX.  I cannot copy even simple text from Gmail into Evernote (ie, a one line sentence I emailed to myself, with not changes in formatting at all).

I contacted support, and rather than confirm that they were doing anything about this, asked me to go to this forum and add my experience here.  Sad.  Not getting my hopes up that they'll fix this simple and obvious bug.

I got the "we are unable to replicate this" line from Support.  I sent them an example, but no joy on that.  I gave up, not having the time to waste in trying to get somewhere down that road.

My work-around: 

1)  Never delete the copied bullets from a note until you're sure they've been successfully pasted into another.

2) When you can't copy from outside of EN (eg gmail or a web page), try copying everything up to the last punctuation mark, as in.  Copy all of the sentence until you get to the period, question mark or exclamation point -- don't include that final mark character in the highlighted text.  That's worked for me some of the time.

3)  When you're copying from EN to a web article you're writing, I've found that the "don't include the final character" trick -sometimes- helps.  Not always.

3) always try to paste copied content at the end of a bulleted list.

• Solution
18 hours ago, Meraig said:

I got the "we are unable to replicate this" line from Support.  I sent them an example, but no joy on that.  I gave up, not having the time to waste in trying to get somewhere down that road.

My work-around: 

1)  Never delete the copied bullets from a note until you're sure they've been successfully pasted into another.

2) When you can't copy from outside of EN (eg gmail or a web page), try copying everything up to the last punctuation mark, as in.  Copy all of the sentence until you get to the period, question mark or exclamation point -- don't include that final mark character in the highlighted text.  That's worked for me some of the time.

3)  When you're copying from EN to a web article you're writing, I've found that the "don't include the final character" trick -sometimes- helps.  Not always.

3) always try to paste copied content at the end of a bulleted list.

Hi @Meraig,

I'm the agent that took your ticket and I did note that I was able to reproduce the issue. Our developers have been working diligently to make many improvements to the note editor for the next release, version 6.11. 

Thanks for hanging in there. I appreciate your patience while the team works on the editor. I do think once their work is complete, you will see consistency with the way bulleted lists and other elements display in Evernote and other apps.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime. 

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

I've been having this issue as well and is causing me an unnecessarily large amount of time to fix my notes. I need to take notes quickly in meetings and this is destroying my attention while trying to fix. Without a resolution soon, I will have to drop Evernote and go back to One Note even though I would prefer not to.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Adding my vote for a feature fix for pasting lists. @BSR, you hinted it may be fixed back near 6.11 (March 2017), but it's now Aug 2018, and it looks like this is still an issue in 7.2.3. I understand that new features need prioritize functionality, but you make a note application. This seems like basic functionality.

Most of my notes have at least one list, and not being able to copy/paste into Word (for blog posts), Outlook (for work email), or even a basic Google Doc (for collaborating) is infuriating. Please fix this, Evernote.

FWIW, this isn't a one-off request: 

• Like 2
On 1/1/2017 at 10:42 PM, Tcellguy said:

I've been having problems with bulleted lists in the iOS version for years and it seems they have propagated the behavior to the macOS client.

Bulleted lists are still dysfunctional

Copy/paste bugs

First Post - BULLET BUG in EVERNOTE/IOS

These bugs have variably disappeared and reappeared over the years for me. 

I keep seeing promises of some new unified text editor that is cross-platform, which may hopefully fix all of this. Maybe things need to get worse before getting better?

My current bulleted list experience on Evernote on macOs has become intermittently poor. Recently I've been getting lots of odd behavior:

• phantom bullets with an additional line space that can't be removed or edited 
  • can't double click to open any attached document in a bulleted list (note scrolls to top and attachment is deleted)
  • copying one set of bulleted list items to another results in loss of information as noted in this post
  • fn + delete in a bulleted list deletes to the left as opposed to rightwards while in a list
  • on prior versions of macOS (Yosemite and before) bulleted lists could be copied between Evernote and Notes.app. Evernote --> Notes.app works. However, for Notes.app --> Evernote, now the bullets are interpreted as a character and are added in line as tiny dots with change in the size of the font

I still like Evernote a lot, but with each update it seems I need to learn a new set of work arounds. One work around that seems to help if things get messy when copying form one list to another to use the shift + option + command + v to remove formatting. However, this changes the bullets to stars and there is some clean up necessary. 

This ^ has been my experience. I use bullets and todo's heavily in my workflow, and find that Evernote updates randomly break bullet and todo functionality. 

Another issue is that adding a todo to a bulleted line now adds horizontal padding to that line, so I can't see as much of my todo-list at once. I would love the option to disable this padding.

It's gotten frustrating enough that I've started to post on Evernote forums. 

Edited by mark.c.pallone@gmail.com
Add "This has been my experience"
  • Like 1
  • 4 years later...
  • Evernote Expert

Are you using the Legacy application? This thread is 4+ years old and pre-dates the current release. The issues which affected the old, now Legacy, release may not have been resolved and if not they will not be fixed. 

Let us know which version of Evernote you are using.