Remember position in each note

Eddie8

Idea

Hi everyone!

Firstly, evernote Rocks! Thank you for this amazing app :-)

I find myself switching between notes very frequently, some notes are quite long, thus scrolling becomes very time consuming. The workaround is to keep the notes i access most, opened on a separate window - Clutter's my mac's workspace, but at least keeps my notes open on the last accessed position

Would be nice as default function, else a selectable setting under preference.

Please work your magic and keep evernote rocking :-) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

25 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Best practice for standard usage is to avoid long notes where you can.  You may find that if you paste an image into one of your notes,  the pic will paste where you put it,  but the selection point will jump to the start of the note.  Not an issue - if your note is only one screen long.  You found the work-around already.  Good suggestion though...

I have some very long notes, and i move between different notes.

Whenever i come back to a note, i need to scroll all the way down to add text, or find the position i was at.

desired behavior:

If possible, allow us to choose if upon opening a note, the cursor moves:

1. to the beginning of the note

2. to the end

3. to the same position i was at when I last visited the note. 

Allow us to override it for specific notes or notebooks.

Evernote is great - let's make it even better.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

When my notes get too long I split them up into several notes. Then I create a special note with links to all of these notes in a table of content. This can be done in an easy way by selecting the notes for the TOC. Each note gets a link back to the table of content at the top. In this way I can easily maneuver through these notes all belonging to a single topic. Sometimes I even use this in a more complex, nested way. The top TOC note links to Sub-TOC notes etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

When I go back into a note at any time (even after logging out!) please can Evernote remember where my cursor was - and position me at that place automatically, rather than at the beginning? Amongst other things I use Evernote for a work diary and scrolling down to the last entry every time seems like a good task for the computer, rather than for me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I second this request, which has been made many times before on this forum. It would definitely enhance the usefulness of Evernote for organizing lots of information, and would make me more likely to continue using and recommending the software. Please implement this (seemingly) simple feature as a preference option for Basic users. Thanks!

I'd like to second this feature request.

It seems that this was in fact a feature of a previous Evernote version:

The disappearance of the feature was recognized as a bug and was attempted to be solved multiple times, to no avail.

Not all notes are conducive to being split. Very few of my notes can fit an arbitrary resolution of the screen I am looking at.

Splitting my numerous longer notes into multiple components would be an Utter. Madness.

Once this feature is implemented (i.e. bug resolved), it would be trivial to have the user define their preferred behavior.

This a recurrent request:

Edited by istarninwa
deleted two references to other feature requests due to merging
  • Thanks 1

Having this bug fixed would be really nice; it's been over 3 years since Evernote displayed the "remember my place" behavior--which it used to do. If Evernote wants to call it a "feature request," fine, but I'd like to have my notes go back to behaving correctly, as they used to do. Scrolling to get back to where I had been before switching between apps or having my screen go to sleep is a waste of time.

• Like 3

Concur with request. Splitting up notes (at least for me) into multiple files is not an option. Would be great if the note didnt reset to the top every time I get up to get some coffee and have to unlock my ipad.

On ipad OS 13 btw. Crashing (on Public beta 1) on public beta 2 seems to have resolved in most circumstances. Not perfect but definitely usable

• Level 5*
On 2017-05-02 at 2:59 AM, Paul B. said:

Amongst other things I use Evernote for a work diary and scrolling down to the last entry every time seems like a good task for the computer, rather than for me!

I'd recommend separate notes for each day

You might research end of note shortcuts.  Which platform?

Theres the standard of /EOD at the end of documents.  Easy to search for

Hi Evernote,

Context: I mostly use Evernote on the mac app. I keep a journal note each week and section of the note per day. Along with other project and meeting-minute notes.

Constraint: I don't like to clutter my desktop with the most frequently used notes. Instead, I rely on the 'Shortcuts' and 'Recent Notes' sections from the left toolbar. Although this works great, I find myself scrolling through long notes to my last know page position when switching between notes. I find myself doing a lot of scrolling...

Feature Request: Either as a default or optional setting, it would be great if Evernote could remember the last known page/note position. Especially for 'Recent Notes' 

Thanks for an amazing app ;-)

On 10/11/2016 at 12:38 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Best practice for standard usage is to avoid long notes where you can.  You may find that if you paste an image into one of your notes,  the pic will paste where you put it,  but the selection point will jump to the start of the note.  Not an issue - if your note is only one screen long.  You found the work-around already.  Good suggestion though...

This is nonsense. What’s the point of a note taking app if I can’t take the notes I need to take? Limiting my notes to one screen (on mobile since it’s my smallest screen) is ridiculous. I might as well just use a google doc or the built in notes app if there is a functional limit on how long a note can be. 
Looking at your quote and my reply—that would be the max length of a note and that’s useless. If something is only a few lines long I probably don’t need a dedicated app to store it. 

Your reply (on this and other posts)  makes it seem as though you feel called to be the champion of Evernote and defend it from users asking for helpful features, and making them feel like they’re the only ones with such an “edge use case”.  It comes across as demeaning and mean spirited which I assume is not your intent. I would hope you’re trying to be helpful in taking the time to reply. 

Frankly, in my experience, most people wouldn’t even think beyond “this is how it works and it’s sucks, I’ll switch to something new” much less take the time to find out the ability to request features even exists and log in to make a thoughtful reply. 

As a fellow human, please realize we are all just trying to find the easiest ways to get done what we need to get done and we are often not alone. We come here to find help, support, and Answers from fellow Evernote users, not to be belittled or endure snarky replies that serve no one. 

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, J Grant said:

What’s the point of a note taking app

I consider the Evernote editor to be a note editor app; not great for note-taking
For note taking; my preference is the Notability app on an iPad, with an Apple Pencil   
I store the documents in Evernote as attachments

Note definition: 

noun

1. a brief record of facts, topics, or thoughts, written down as an aid to memory.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, J Grant said:

We come here to find help, support, and Answers from fellow Evernote users, not to be belittled or endure snarky replies that serve no one. 

I recommend you not look at 4-year old posts for information then... You're not the original poster and haven't (unless I missed it) posted an issue.  Evernote does what it does,  and has several (or lots of) missing features.  Not jumping back to the place you last left it is (currently) still one of them.  If that's a major problem for you,  then you should probably be using different software.  As long as Evernote does not support 'remember last position' then it's reasonable to request that it should,  but not so much to expect that the developers will immediately deliver your wish.

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

I recommend you not look at 4-year old posts for information then... You're not the original poster and haven't (unless I missed it) posted an issue.  Evernote does what it does,  and has several (or lots of) missing features.  Not jumping back to the place you last left it is (currently) still one of them.  If that's a major problem for you,  then you should probably be using different software.  As long as Evernote does not support 'remember last position' then it's reasonable to request that it should,  but not so much to expect that the developers will immediately deliver your wish.

Where was the helpful comment in this? 

I never demanded Evernote to develop and deliver anything on the spot. (In fact, the app didn’t used to jump back to the top—it used to remember where you were). 

I don’t appreciate the antagonistic response and honestly, you’re making the experience of using Evernote worse. 
Instead of helpful replies, all you’re offering is denigration.

Between the bugs (functions that were there and are now gone) and glitches and hostile users in the forums, I think I’ll just find a new app that isn’t aging and bitter 😉

Nobody has time for this childishness. 

• Confused 1
17 hours ago, DTLow said:

I consider the Evernote editor to be a note editor app; not great for note-taking
For note taking; my preference is the Notability app on an iPad, with an Apple Pencil   
I store the documents in Evernote as attachments

Note definition: 

noun

1. a brief record of facts, topics, or thoughts, written down as an aid to memory.

You can consider it whatever you want but right on the homepage of the site TODAY it’s still calling itself a note taking app. 

“Your notes. Organized. Effortless.

Take notes anywhere. Find information faster. Share ideas with anyone. Meeting notes, web pages, projects, to-do lists—with Evernote as your note taking app, nothing falls through the cracks.”

I’d say wasting time scrolling to where I just was because my phone went to sleep doesn’t fit the “find information” faster promise they’re making here. 
(marketing promise, not legit promise). 

It’s fine you use it as a database and editor , I use it for that and note taking. 

Or rather, I did. After so many inane replies to honest comments, I’m leaving Evernote pro. I’ve been an Evernote user since 2011 and I’m done. The features I loved are gone and a few bad faith users are souring the experience further. 

• Level 5*
On 2/25/2021 at 9:02 AM, Johnwinds said:

Hi everyone,

I'm also very keen on this feature. Seeing that the last update was early last year, is there any news on this?

Thanks!

Hi.  Evernote don't typically issue news about feature requests - but what device are you using? There have been a zillion updates since last year...

• Level 5*

6 hours ago, Johnwinds said:

I'm using the web client on Ubuntu (there is no native client unfortunately).

Even the web client had an update to 10,  unless you have too many notes - I'm still stuck on the old version 5.33 for web on both Linux and Windows.  The position thing doesn;t much bother me because I stick (usually) to short notes.  Longer ones get created and edited in an external word processor,  which usually has this feature.  Just have to wait for Evernote to get their act together I guess... ;)

Hi gazumped,

I didn't know you had a choice of not using the latest version on the web client. I'm using 10.8.5-web (233).

I hope Evernote actually works on this and don't just ignore it (seeing it has been reported more than a year ago).

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Johnwinds said:

I didn't know you had a choice

It's not a choice - I'm stuck with the old version because I have too many notes (according to Support) to use the new one...  ;)

• Like 1