Tag Tree Fell Down 3 Times During Moving Between Parent Tag

To whom it may concern:

As the topic title described, I just had "Tag Tree Fell Down 3 Times During Moving Between Parent Tag", two times happened in the last version, one time happened in the most updated version, I used last version for an unsolved issue mentioned in another thread, I hope this issue fixed as soon as possible, I am in a middle of a re-organization of my 1500 tags. Thank you for your attention.

Regards,

7 hours ago, csihilling said:

What does tag tree fell down mean?

A tag tree was under parent tag A, after moved from tag A to tag B, the tag tree is gone, all tag in the tag tree became flat under tag B.

On a personal note, among three mentioned incidents, one of the tag trees contains approximate 360 tags(In a tree structure).  The point is, it is a sever impact to the benefits I could get from utilization of Evernote tag system. While Evernote Twitter people was already in touch with me by asking some personal details related to my account, I am looking forward to a quicker solution to recover my confidence while utilizing Evernote tag system.

• Level 5*

I performed a small test (not 360 tags, more like 40-50) in the Windows client, both with the tag tree in the left panel and with the tag view panel (and even dragging a tree from the tag panel to the "Tags" top-level entry (so that the tree was moved to the Tag tree root. In all cases, moving a tree to another location preserved the tree. It *should* work, and did for me. I think that your best bet would be to contact support.

• Level 5*
On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎29 at 1:53 PM, Benjamin X Yang said:

To whom it may concern:

As the topic title described, I just had "Tag Tree Fell Down 3 Times During Moving Between Parent Tag", two times happened in the last version, one time happened in the most updated version, I used last version for an unsolved issue mentioned in another thread, I hope this issue fixed as soon as possible, I am in a middle of a re-organization of my 1500 tags. Thank you for your attention.

Regards,

It seems to be a bug that was previously addressed and for the most part fixed in the left panel but seems to have been overlooked in the "Tags View" window. My guess is that the issue happens when you try to move a parent tag, but have at the same time selected the parent tag's child tags as well. If you want to keep the tag structure after the move it is important that only the parent tag is selected, and not the child tags as well.

So if you look at Frame B, it is important that you only select Legal, and not select Copyright etc. if you want to keep the structure.

A safe bet rule overall if you want to move tags in the hiearchy, is to never move a parent tag together with other tags in the same action.

• Level 5*

Guys are we saying that if you want to move a tag tree,  you only need to select the parent tag,  but that the parent and all its children will move?  Or is it necessary to move the parent tag and then select and move the children to the correct location?

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Guys are we saying that if you want to move a tag tree,  you only need to select the parent tag,  but that the parent and all its children will move?  Or is it necessary to move the parent tag and then select and move the children to the correct location?

First one is correct, yes.

The unexpected bug occurs when you think you have to select them all to move them all in a bulk.

Thanks for all recent replys, the concept of mentioned operation behavior guessed and described by @gustavgi as below is not in my mind,

7 hours ago, gustavgi said:

... My guess is that the issue happens when you try to move a parent tag, but have at the same time selected the parent tag's child tags as well. ...

so since the concept is not in my mind, it is not likely I repeated the operation behavior three times. No, the incidents did not happen because of that.

In regard to 

11 hours ago, jefito said:

I performed a small test (not 360 tags, more like 40-50) in the Windows client, both with the tag tree in the left panel and with the tag view panel (and even dragging a tree from the tag panel to the "Tags" top-level entry (so that the tree was moved to the Tag tree root. In all cases, moving a tree to another location preserved the tree. It *should* work, and did for me. I think that your best bet would be to contact support.

I too, performed a few test, but smaller than yours, I can not afford bigger test for the time being, the problem is there, it just happens by chance if I can put it in this way.

After my incident, I dramatically reduce the moves to move a tag tree.  If I have to, I moved a branch by a branch and created a placeholder tag in advance at the targeted location to prevent the tags mixed together if it happens again...of course, this is not a acceptable and workable solution, I did this as a damage control, because the 360-tag tag tree is within a bigger tag tree of approximate-600-tag tag tree. Anyway, it's catastrophic to the vision that I had based on the design of the Evernote tag system.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2016 at 10:57 AM, Benjamin X Yang said:

...it just happens by chance if I can put it in this way.

Dear all:

For the record.  I have a new guess about the possible cause of the problem in this thread, the guess reached me while I am, AGAIN, working on the optimization of my personalized Evernote tag management.  I just tried to add/remove/modify a few tag assigned to 100 notes or so, during the operations, Evernote system docked into several few-seconds-long unresponsive status(The problem has been happening since then), my guess is, the incident in the 1st post could occurred when I kept on pushing the Evernote system further by more Add/Remove/Modification operations to tags during the period of few-seconds-long unresponsive status. Then again, it is just my guess.

Kind Regards,

Ben

P.S.:

The "Automatically Select Child Tags" in "Navigation Options" is checked in the scenario in this thread.

• 5 months later...

For the record, after a long period of time without a new incident of the titled issue, it happened again just now.  Except the size of the tree is smaller than previous one, no serous damage made, but this can surly alert me.  This record is meant to be an awareness-raising purpose.

Archived