Web clipper keeps logging out

I am using Web Clipper 6.10.1(35f63f9)/11.00.926 on Chrome 54.0.2840.99 m and Windows 7 Pro 64.. Every time I look up from my work Web Clipper has that familiar red dot. But actually now that I have click on it to get the above version number it is once again logged in... I am confused this is very different behavior than in the past  

• Like 1

Hi y'all,

I apologize for any inconvenience this is causing. Our development team is currently in the process of investigating this issue. Unfortunately I don't have an ETA for when a fix will be released, but will post back once we get updated information.

Thank you for your patience while the dev team gets this sorted out.

• Like 1

This issue just started for me, perhaps a week ago, maybe 10 days. At first it would happen occasionally, though FAR too frequently. Now it can happen several times in a day. Macbook Pro, using Safari 9.1.3 (9537.86.7.8) Is there really no update since 9 December? Now that I'm paying for the luxury of Evernote I'm even more desirous of having it all work well (and I consider clipper to be just a necessary service of EN.) Thanks! 

This won't really help anyone, because I don't know WHY it happened, but the day after I added my post here the problem spontaneously stopped. I did all the same things I had tried before, but for what it is worth: uninstall and reinstall Clipper, check all your permissions on Safari, close and open everything ... Hoping it lasts, and that it spreads to everyone else on here.

• Like 1

having the same issue, Evernote is basically unusable now. OneNote clipper works perfectly and I have no choice but going back to OneNote...

• safari: Version 10.0.1 (12602.2.14.0.7)
  • Evernote clipper: Version 6.10.2
  • macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2657)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 09/02/2017 at 1:16 PM, jeremyduncan said:

Is "stay logged in" a paid feature now?

Nope, because I'm paid, and still have it. Has everyone done the request described at  

? I wasn't able when it was first posted, but I will now, and I assume the more they get the more they'll get on it. Process should be pretty similar whether Mac or PC, I'd assume. 

For a short while, the problem seemed to be solved. That was a few weeks back. Now the problem has reoccurred, and I am experiencing it on Safari and also Chrome. My Windows PC is also similarly affected with Chrome. Basically, this problem seems to be platform agnostic. I've used Evernote since the early days but this problem has really become widespread about a year back. Hope the technical team looks into this. I've been keeping up with the blog, and am impressed with efforts to change to Google Cloud etc. but I'm afraid something as basic as this UX problem certainly needs more attention than background hocus pocus.

• Like 2

I have the same problem.   I seemed to of corrected it a couple of months ago awhen I selected the "keep me logged in" option on Evernote.   Then the web clipper stayed logged in.  Just started again.   But now cannot find the "logged in" option.   Using Safari, Sierra, up to date. 

• Like 1

I have also been experiencing this problem for about a month now. I'm using El Capitan with Safari (10.0.3) and Web Clipper 6.10.3. The peculiar thing is, I think it started about the same time that I downgraded my subscription plan from Premium to Plus. Coincidence? Probably.

Was having this problem a while ago. Deleted and re added the safari extension and it was solved...until friday 2/10.

I tried same fix but this time it hasn't worked. Clipper appears to be logging off after 20' or so.

Evernote v6.10 (direct), Safari 10.0.3

• Like 1

same problem on Windows 10, Chrome 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit) and Web Clipper 6.11 (7dea5a8/1.1.0.926)

But still the Evernote Web Clipper is much better working than the one from OneNote. Just compared some sites days ago. So keep pushing it, Team!

Having same problem on Mac Sierra 10.12.3 with Safari 10.0.3. Been happening for a few weeks now. Tried reinstalling plug-in but no help. It's at the point where I'm finding new workflows that don't involve Evernote. This condition is bad, because it means my knowledge stream will become partitioned again--the exact thing that I purchased Evernote to help me solve.

On 2/12/2017 at 10:10 PM, CIA85044 said:

I have the same problem.   I seemed to of corrected it a couple of months ago awhen I selected the "keep me logged in" option on Evernote.   Then the web clipper stayed logged in.  Just started again.   But now cannot find the "logged in" option.   Using Safari, Sierra, up to date. 

Now, after reinstalling both Evernote and the Webclipper... the problems no longer an issue.  

2 hours ago, CIA85044 said:

Now, after reinstalling both Evernote and the Webclipper... the problems no longer an issue.  

I'm going to try the EN AND Clipper solution. But honestly, if this does not resolve the problem for all of us, I think it's time for Evernote to start issuing refunds on our paid accounts. Prorate for every day this isn't resolve, that is fine with me. I've been in these forums for months, counting the first time this occurred and this so far unresolvable second epidemic, I've submitted the help request and not even heard back on it, and, like ofchaos I'm having to revise my workflows because web clipper is an integral part of Evernote's usefulness for me. This is NOT the return on investment I was seeking from my paid subscription! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have had this problem using Chrome on PC for a long time. Clipper logs out after about 12 hours. Does anyone have a current suggestion. Have tried a few of them from this forum but nothing sticking. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So I don't know if this will help anyone, but here's what I dealt with, what I learned, and how I fixed the problem.

Browser and OS: Chrome for Windows 7 (version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit)) - newest version

Issue:

Uninstalled and reinstalled Evernote Web Clipper today because no matter what, after logging in to web clipper, if I restarted Chrome I would be logged out again.

* Evernote wasn't the only web clipper doing this. OneNote was too.

What I learned:

Evernote and OneNote authenticate via URLs. Evernote didn't use to do this I think. The authentication used to be internal to the web clipper because I remember the login prompt coming up in the web clipper area, but now the login appears in a new browser window.

For security reasons, I have Chrome set to clear browsing cookies when exiting. This causes issues with anything authenticating via URL since that authentication cookie gets wiped when closing Chrome.

Solution:

Two things to remember about Evernote Web Clipper authentication:

1. Once you login to Evernote Web Clipper, you can NEVER logout of Evernote. I mean it. Even if you visit www.evernote.com and login to the web version, if you click logout there you will be logged out of the web clipper too. I've tested it.

* Don't be fooled when you visit www.evernote.com, click Sign In, and are greeted by the login screen. Don't assume it's a different login session since you have to enter your credentials. If you click logout after you login, you will be logged out from the web clipper.

2. You have to allow evernote.com to save cookies. I personally have "Keep local data only until you quit your browser" selected, which was causing my issue with Evernote and OneNote.

a. In Chrome, visit chrome://settings/content and look under Cookies.

b. If you have "Keep local data only until you quit your browser" or "Block sites from setting any data" selected, then you have to click "Manage exceptions".

* Alternatively, you can select "Allow local data to be set" under Cookies instead. This allows all websites to save local data.

c. For Evernote Web Clipper, enter [*.]evernote.com as the URL under "Cookie and site data exceptions". The format [*.]evernote.com will ensure all evernote.com subdomains are also allowed.

d. Click Done on the "Cookie and site data exceptions" window and Done on the "Content settings" window to return to the main Settings page.

I hope this information helps someone. Both my Evernote and OneNote Web Clippers are working again after I added the exception URLs, and now I know to never click logout on any evernote.com pages.

• Like 1

This really sucks, and my patience in over. I've installed it on new computers, new instances of Chrome, and everything. I've been paying for this piece of ***** for years, and I haven't been able to use it 9 months. $7/ month * 9 months = $63, for absolutely nothing

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-4-16 at 0:33, Stacy N dijo:

So I don't know if this will help anyone, but here's what I dealt with, what I learned, and how I fixed the problem.

Browser and OS: Chrome for Windows 7 (version 57.0.2987.133 (64-bit)) - newest version

Issue:

Uninstalled and reinstalled Evernote Web Clipper today because no matter what, after logging in to web clipper, if I restarted Chrome I would be logged out again.

* Evernote wasn't the only web clipper doing this. OneNote was too.

What I learned:

Evernote and OneNote authenticate via URLs. Evernote didn't use to do this I think. The authentication used to be internal to the web clipper because I remember the login prompt coming up in the web clipper area, but now the login appears in a new browser window.

For security reasons, I have Chrome set to clear browsing cookies when exiting. This causes issues with anything authenticating via URL since that authentication cookie gets wiped when closing Chrome.

Solution:

Two things to remember about Evernote Web Clipper authentication:

1. Once you login to Evernote Web Clipper, you can NEVER logout of Evernote. I mean it. Even if you visit www.evernote.com and login to the web version, if you click logout there you will be logged out of the web clipper too. I've tested it.

* Don't be fooled when you visit www.evernote.com, click Sign In, and are greeted by the login screen. Don't assume it's a different login session since you have to enter your credentials. If you click logout after you login, you will be logged out from the web clipper.

2. You have to allow evernote.com to save cookies. I personally have "Keep local data only until you quit your browser" selected, which was causing my issue with Evernote and OneNote.

a. In Chrome, visit chrome://settings/content and look under Cookies.

b. If you have "Keep local data only until you quit your browser" or "Block sites from setting any data" selected, then you have to click "Manage exceptions".

* Alternatively, you can select "Allow local data to be set" under Cookies instead. This allows all websites to save local data.

c. For Evernote Web Clipper, enter [*.]evernote.com as the URL under "Cookie and site data exceptions". The format [*.]evernote.com will ensure all evernote.com subdomains are also allowed.

d. Click Done on the "Cookie and site data exceptions" window and Done on the "Content settings" window to return to the main Settings page.

I hope this information helps someone. Both my Evernote and OneNote Web Clippers are working again after I added the exception URLs, and now I know to never click logout on any evernote.com pages.

Thank you Stacy!!!

Evernote should hire you as support engineer.

• 2 months later...

I have had to log in 3 times this week. I ALWAYS CLICK THE KEEP ME SIGNED IN FOR 30 DAYS, BUTTON. I am on an opera browser. I use web-clipper between 30-100 times a day approx,

This is the first time I have ever been able to make a comment on your help threads. Since the day I purchased your product I HAVE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO LOG IN TO THE FORUM. 

Can you imagine paying for a service for 2 years and NEVER BEING ABLE TO CONTACT SUPPORT THE ENTIRE TIME?

I had many problems over these two years, but I found a way around them one way or the other until a it was fixed (because other people probably complained)

I really like your product but ***** YOU for not letting me log in for 2 years (into the forum).

You better believe I tried logging in at least 50 times before I gave up all hope.  

• 1 year later...