Button to shortcut a note?

I'm looking for a button or something to shortcut a note in the Windows client ... but I can't find one at all! Am I blind? I can't even find a "add note to shortcuts" command in any of the menus that run across the top of the window. I must be blind. Are the only two ways to make a note a shortcut to either drag the note to the shortcuts area, or right-click and click "add to shortcuts"? It would be awesome if there were a little star or something like that in the window UI itself that you could click to add a note to shortcuts, and also to quickly see that the note was / was not in shortcuts. It would also be great to have the same feature for anything else that can be saved to a shortcut: saved searches, notebooks, etc. 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, jyc23 said:

I'm looking for a button or something to shortcut a note in the Windows client ... 

Is this shortcut to shortcut button something that would be in frequent use?

I actually don't have any notes in my Shortcuts area; it would get too cluttered.
I do have a !HotNotes tag and i add it to notes I need quick access to

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you right-click the note title and hold Ctrl while clicking 'Copy Note Link' you'll get a 'classic' direct link to the note.  Create a new shortcut on your desktop and add that URL.  Provided Evernote is open,  you'll jump straight to a note from this external shortcut.  Otherwise (I think) Evernote loads first,  so things happen more slowly.

You can also use the standard note URL which will open the note in a browser and require your login,  or you can share and create a public URL which will open the note for anyone with that URL.

As long as Evernote is open however,  it's a lot easier (and neater) just to use the in-app shortcuts bar.  Just sayin'

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I do have a !HotNotes tag and i add it to notes I need quick access to

I do use shortcuts, but use a !Critical tag as well, and one of my few shortcuts is to a saved search for notes that are !Critical but not in my zCompleted notebook. So sort of like a shortcut shortcut.

I actually do shortcut notes quite frequently (and by shortcut, I mean the an item in Evernote's shortcuts menu, not a Windows shortcut -- sorry if I confused anyone!). I work a lot on the mobile client (iOS / iPhone), and make use of the little star in the lower left corner of the note screen that you can tap on to shortcut (or un-shortcut) a note. I was just surprised when using the Windows client (which I just started doing not long ago) that there wasn't an analogous UI feature ... and in fact, that there wasn't a very clear, obvious way to shortcut notes in general (or even shortcut anything in general ... it seems that the shortcut functionality UI is tacked on, rather than woven well throughout the Windows client interface). I'd be happy to mock something up ... maybe I'll do that tomorrow. 

• Level 5*
On 11/25/2016 at 10:01 AM, jyc23 said:

I can't even find a "add note to shortcuts" command

You can drag the note to the shortcuts bar, or right click the note and Add to shortcuts.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm a very visual kind of person, and I also like interfaces that make it clear what the status of things are. Whether or not something is a shortcut / favorite / whatever is something I think would be helpful to see. Whether a note has a reminder is already something that is visible in the UI (the little alarm clock which changes appearance when there is a reminder). What I think might be helpful for someone like me would be a little star which both shows whether a note is a shortcut, and also allows you to toggle the shortcut status of the note. Something like the attached screenshot. 

Barring that, it would be great to have an "add to shortcut" menu item in the menu of a note when the note is in its own window.

In fact, right now, if a note is open in its own window, there is no way to make that note a shortcut from that separate window. You have to go back to the main Evernote window and find the note snippet or entry in a list in order to either drag it to the shortcuts area or use the "add to shortcuts" in the right-click menu. At least for me, I will often create new notes in their own windows, and it may or may not be the case that that note is in the list of notes in filtered in the main Evernote window. So, to make that note a shortcut, I have to re-filter the Evernote notes list so it includes the note I want to shortcut, then re-filter it to what it was before, which interrupts my workflow. 

As with a lot of the things I gripe about, this isn't a dealbreaker. It's just unnecessary complexity that could be simplified fairly easily, I think.

P.S. I was mistaken about the location of the shortcut star in the iOS / iPhone client. It's actually located under the triple-dot menu in the lower right. But still, it's attached to a note, which is important -- I can make the decision about whether I want to shortcut a note directly from the note itself, without having to back out to a list or some other view. The shortcut star appears in the lower left when you tap on a tag, or a notebook. I guess the triple-dot is a way to condense overflow menu items. 

3.PNG

• 1 month later...

Still griping about this. I have a note open in pop-out note view (Windows 10, latest version of EN) and there's no way from the pop-out note to make it an Evernote Shortcut. Not anywhere in the menus, not in a toolbar, nowhere. I have to go back to the main Evernote window, find the note, and then add it to shortcuts. It seems like it would be a very easy modification to have a "Add to Shortcuts" command in the menus of a popped-out note. I mean, the menus in the popped-out note window have everything from Present to Sync to Options and even Account Info (why does that have to be in the menu of a popped out note??) but no option to Add to Shortcuts. 

• 2 months later...

Archived