Feature Request: Hide tags from shared notebooks in tag list

Schwatr

Idea

9 replies to this idea

I would add to this feature request.  This would also be very helpful for those of us who use tags extensively, but need that tag list on the left side of the screen to not have everything (so that we can't find the ones that we are actively using the most), and basically be able to manage that list display.  Currently you can control-click (Mac) on a tag in the list and it gives the ability to Delete Tag; can it also give the option to Hide Tag, and it remains a tag but just doesn't show in that list for that device?

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 10.48.18 AM.jpg

• Level 5*

Let's face it; shared tags are problematic in Evernote, at least with respect to organization and other UI functionality, like the original poster's request. Seems like a rethink would be in order. A view (or setting) whereby tags from other accounts appear in their own trees would be nice, except for the fact that you might not have a full tag tree from another account. But at least a view where tags from different accounts are separated would be helpful sometimes.

Outside of that, they work fine in searches, as far as I can tell, if you consider a tag with the same name from different accounts to have the same 'meaning' (which is not guaranteed). Maybe a way to search for account based tags would be helpful too. For example, if tag "A" exists in you account and in notebooks shared to you by Dave, then a search on tag:Dave:A would restrict to only Dave's notebooks (since his 'A' can only exist there), while a search on tag:A would search on all notebooks.

Edit: 9/3/19: Forgot to upvote this. Done.

• Like 1

Maybe "Dave" has a nest of Tags. He could name his nest "Dave" and then all of his Tags go under that.
You then would do the same thing, if sharing your Tags back with him.
Then, maybe, just his Parent Tag shows in your list, and if you needed to see the others you could expand the list?

Haven't tested that though, just a thought.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, EverBrook said:

Maybe "Dave" has a nest of Tags. He could name his nest "Dave" and then all of his Tags go under that.

I use the "nest" process, in both the hierarchy and the alphabetic tag list
I have 4 master categories; ?Who, !What, @Where, .When
All my tags are prefixed with with ? ! @ .

• Level 5*
On 8/10/2018 at 5:09 AM, EverBrook said:

As far as I know, tag hierarchy structure from shared notebooks is not replicated in the tag tree that it's shared to. So you wouldn't have a "Dave" tag root node with all of its subtags nested beneath; you'd just have the imported subtags listed at root level. At least that's my experience. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, VivekKrishnaPrasad said:

Wonder if addressing tagging on shared notebooks is in active pursuit by the dev team.

There's no indication that this is a priority for the development team.

You're welcome to indicate your support for this request.  Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion.  Current count is 1

I would like to have that feature. Just because I have a shared notebook with someone cannot imply that I am forced to see his hundreds of tags cluttering mine.

For me this is a major stopper for using shared notebooks.

Thanks a lot, regards.