rubenb

Firefox Evernote Web Clipper 6.9.3 for Firefox released (Official Thread)

Idea

I'm very pleased to announce Web Clipper 6.9.3 for Firefox.

Thanks to the new 'Web Extensions' API in Firefox we're able to jump from version 6.2 to 6.9.3 and provide you the same feature set we have on other browsers. Moving forward, we'll be much quicker to update it. (We'll submit 6.10.1 for review today).

To install Web Clipper for Firefox, go to:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/
This new version works in Firefox 49 or later. For older versions, please visit the extensions versions page and download Web Clipper 6.2.

1 person likes this

92 replies to this idea

I tried 6.10.2. The help tab doesn't open every time I open Firefox, so that's fixed. But I can't use it at all. It makes me sign in first, which I tried to do. I type in my info, the window sits there for five seconds, and then it disappears, but apparently I'm still not signed in because the little red "x" is still sitting there next to the clipper icon. After that, every time I click on the icon to clip, a blank window pops up for about 1 or 2 seconds then disappears. Back to 6.2.0. (Don't know if it makes any difference, but I'm running Windows 7.)

Hmmn.  Hopefully @rubenb will look into that - my version of 6.10.2 seems to be working fine now.  Have you tried removing the extension and restarting Firefox,  then reinstalling?

Yes, I removed 6.2.0 and closed Firefox. Then came back in and installed the current version, 6.10.2. I've done it several times and it still will not work, so I am back with 6.2.0.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pam D said:

Yes, I removed 6.2.0 and closed Firefox. Then came back in and installed the current version, 6.10.2. I've done it several times and it still will not work, so I am back with 6.2.0.

Dito.

Hi everyone !

Evernote Web Clipper 6.10.2 + 3 released

This is what I can read on Evernote forums (posted Dec 23rd, 2016). Rubenb posted it and so, I figured it would be the final episode of the clipper story. Alas, when I go on the official Firefox download page :

https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/versions/

the module download is impossible. A message indicating the module is corrupt shows off. This has been the case since it was published.

Is there going to be an end to this ?

Hi.

4 minutes ago, Fab42 said:

A message indicating the module is corrupt shows off.

Hi.  What version of Firefox do you have?  Maybe @rubenb can comment...

Firefox 50.1.0, so I guess, the latest official version.

(and by the way, a message pops up when I click on "install" on this page. Says the module was not verified by Mozilla so I should be careful about it. But I guess it's standard procedure related to Mozilla publishing rules. Yet, the message also stipulates that this version can't be installed for the above reason.warning.JPG

1 person likes this

I thought this missing option, WebClipper to Evernote Windows, was a bug that eventually would be fixed. So this time i decided to swallow the inconvenience for quite some time and don't waste time reading long community threads. Well then!

I understand that you really wanted to go the route with Firefox WebExtensions, get some out of the box coding benefits, and sacrifice web clipping to windows.

But removing essential functionality, that you should know is deep in user's workflow, is serious. I have not been warned directly.

Have someone been approached by Evernote, asked to sign up for email alerts (or RSS feed) on "Very important product changes"?

That would have been professional, and I wouldn't have the feeling that I should spend some time testing alternatives.

2 people like this

..forgot to say: Also tons of new bugs in the new WebClipper shell.

Really no need to use it at all, because it fails to clip much of the page 4 of 5 times. Specially when making a selection.

So it is copy from web page, new note, paste, copy from  web page title, paste in title field and so on.

Evernote for Windows also struggle a little these days:
Notes need to be edited more often than before it seems, to be readable Undo hardly works, definitely not when pasting.

Strangely enough, the latest version of the webclipper published that was supposed to solve all problems (6.10.3) for Firefox 50.1.0 has disappeared from the Firefox Add-ons page. Seems like @rubenb has disappeared since his last publication which mentions something that does NOT exist (anymore).

Evernote Web Clipper 6.10.2 + 3 released

Well, everything's fine. Users are left by themselves. Really unprofessional.

So I have the problem (2nd time in last couple months) where since last night, my evernote cannot connect to evernote servers from my home. This is a complete pain in the ass, because without the local save option, every time I try to clip a web page, I cannot. The evernote clipper just sits there, icons spinning, trying to bring up the organise section. There isn't actually another way I know of to easily clip the web page with the right formatting etc as clipper does. In the prior version with local save, this is no issue as the note is clipped locally and syncs to evernote in the background, seamlessly once EN server issues/internet issues are resolved.

PLEASE, PLEASE bring back local clipping. I am seriously less satisfied with EN since this change happened. You do not realise how many issues it causes until the change came about.

Although I love the cloud backup/storage and the whole sync thing, this type of issue is the reason I will never, ever go 100% cloud by choice. I need to be able to access my data when I want to and no matter how reliable EN side is over time, it always tends to fail when I need it!  Cloud is my backup, not my primary. With the local storage option, you turn internet/en issues like this into a near non-event, vs a complete failure. Local save has to benifit EN as an organisation greatly?

Please can someone from evernote comment on this. If the feature is never going to be brought back, I need to look at alternatives to the clip tool and in extreme, Evernote.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, pjsmith said:

Please can someone from evernote comment on this. If the feature is never going to be brought back, I need to look at alternatives to the clip tool and in extreme, Evernote.

Hi.  Evernote don't (usually) comment on individual issues - if they identify an issue,  they'll work on a fix and release it when they can with no particular fanfare other than a release note here (also usually).  I totally feel your pain - my usual working process is to grab a clip of a confirmation web page or email and add my own comments and tags in Evernote.  Every time I clip now,  I have to manually sync before I can continue.  Also I recently clipped a page of banking details which I wanted to encrypt - which is now somewhat less secure because it went to the cloud before I was able to encrypt it.  Memo to self: don't clip personal stuff.

Even so - we won't know whether local clipping is coming back - or even possible - until Evernote is ready to release something - or @rubenb is able to comment...

1 person likes this

I'm with pjsmith on this. You can only rely on the Cloud if you have 100% network uptime which NOBODY has.

And if it's not bad enough that I can't clip locally on Windows/Firefox, now I've lost ALL my local/offline notes on my iPad because it has updated to the latest version of Evernote, which kept crashing and would not run until I removed the app (which also removes all the data, i.e. offline notes) and reinstalled it.

But now the app is running, it will not download any offline notes or notebooks, so I can't get them back. No matter how many times I try everything (including turning the setting off and on again, removing the app from memory and reloading, restarting the iPad, leaving it sitting waiting to download with the app open for a full 12 hours, everything). It refuses to cooperate.

I don't know of any way to roll back to the previous iPad version and disable updating it EVER. If someone could help me on that, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise I have paid for something I can't use.

What a car crash these updates have been. I feel really let down, because I have relied on Evernote; in hindsight, perhaps too heavily.

Using Waterfox 51.0. Latest up update of web clipper won't install. Installation dialogue box says it cannot be installed because download "appears to be corrupt". Using version 6.2 of web clipper opens the clip dialogue box and allows me sign in, but doesn't select anything on the webpage to save. Really disappointing as I use the clipper quite a lot, and it'll be a pain if I have to keep using a different browser just for this purpose.

Anyone with clipper issues tried right-clicking the page to be clipped?  I get a little sub-menu like this which works as well as the main toolbar icon...

ScreenClip [6].png

such releases are not so interesting, bc it doesnt work. I dont know how to clip in future. clearly was discontinued, evernote printer-driver never made, although requested by thousands of user.

pls tell me, how to clip with firefox?

6 hours ago, b64 said:

such releases are not so interesting, bc it doesnt work. I dont know how to clip in future. clearly was discontinued, evernote printer-driver never made, although requested by thousands of user.

pls tell me, how to clip with firefox?

I'm currently using Clipper 6.9.3 quite happily with Firefox 53.0b2 although there is a newer version that I don't like much.  Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Clipper in your Firefox and what exactly happens if it fails?  Have you tried the clipper in other browsers like Chrome?

Clearly will still work if you have the app installed,  but the current clipper versions now include a 'simplified' option which is pretty much the same.  If you really want Clearly, this app developer - http://readable.tastefulwords.com/ - was taken over by Evernote to create Clearly,  but the original bookmarklet app still survives.

And no,  there's no 'print' option in Clipper - just use the Browser print function for the page,  or print from Evernote for articles and clipped selections.