Copy text and Paste inside new note doesn't work

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, jorgeact said:

When I try to paste any text that I copied from my web browser, I can't paste in a new note :(

No issue for me on my Mac

You might experiment a little to see if you can identify a pattern
for example,
copying text from this web page
- will it paste into a new note, and existing note, some other application

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to copy and paste the overview text from a trip description at http://www.southernexplorations.com/amazon/amazon-machu-picchu into Evernote. I select the Overview in Firefox and copy it, but when I hit Paste in Evernote nothing goes in most of the time. Sometimes it works, but mostly not. 

I can paste the same text into the vim text editor, and I can copy and past text from vim into an Evernote note, but something isn't right going from Firefox to Evernote.

And yes, I could just use the Web Clipper, but the workflow is easier for me to copy and paste, and copying and pasting is one of those fundamental things that is supposed to work.

• Evernote 6.10
  • MacOS Sierra 10.12.1
  • Firefox 50.0
  • Level 5*

Hi  Have you tried 'paste and match style'?  Or have you pasted the text into an otherwise blank note and (if it didn't show up) tried 'remove formatting' on that note?

I'm not on Mac,  so can't verify the problem,  but when that text pastes into a text editor it's being shown without any embedded style codes.  It may be the additional coding that's causing a visibility problem in Evernote.

• 3 months later...

I've just upgraded to Sierra 10.12.3 (& Evernote 6.10) and am having the same problem pasting text from Preview (pdf).  It works fine when pasting to other applications, just not to Evernote...

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I've having the same issue, running Sierra 10.12.3 and Evernote 6.10 - if I copy text from a pdf in Preview it will not paste in a note in Evernote. Copying from Chrome, Word and pdfs opened with Acrobat all work without a problem, and text copied from Preview pastes fine in Word/Chrome.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I believe this is a known issue - meantime the work around is to assemble (or edit) your document in something that does accept pastes,  then copy and paste the whole into a note,  and/ or just attach the document you were working on as a file.

• 5 weeks later...

I see the OP was concerned about not seeing any text when pasting into a note.

I am baffled by the Match Style / Format issue - Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.4  - and I did a routine software update today. Yesterday, anytime I pasted, I could see the format of clipboard with a simple command + V (no shift) after copying. Today I am pasting from my clipboard and the formatting is not "matched."  I tried Paste Match Style from Edit menu, the shortcut command + shift + V  ... I even tried fiddling with "simpify format," to see if I had "toggled" a setting ... nothing. 

Frustrated by the lack of consistent behavior, and lack of any defaults or setting adjustments in Preferences. Did something happen after the software update? Or was some account setting altered after I used the app on android?

Can anyone help, or provide an update on either issue? I am going to post this in a new thread, as it differ's from OP's heading.

Thanks!

Edited by gurlinthewurld
issue of OP was slightly different from my issue
  • 3 months later...
I am having the same issue although it is intermittent.  
With the particular email that I am attempting to "paste" into an Evernote, it does not work in the ongoing communication Evernote for a client or in a blank Evernote.  Just copied and pasted another piece of content into it without a hitch.  

I can not paste anything into a newly created Evernote.  I'm on a PC (Windows 7), not a Mac.  The source of the text is just the plain old text editor.  I copied from a web page and pasted to the the simple text editor (called Notepad).  Then I highlighted the text in Notepad, copied it to buffer, and attempted to paste to Evernote.  It fails to respond in any way.  Then I went to an older (pre-existing) note and was able to paste into that note.

So -- the issue is NOT specific to Mac; NOT related to formatting; NOT related to the source of the text (i.e. what application it was copied from), and IS related to the difference between a new note and an old note.

I exited Evernote client, and restarted it, and I still can NOT paste into the "new" note.  So there is something durably wrong with the "new" note, even after it is not so new anymore.  The defective note is already synced to the cloud since I can open it on my iPhone.  But, still defective for receipt of pasted text on the PC inside the client.  The client version is:  6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public.  So I updated to New version: 6.6.4.5512 (305512) Public.  EXACT SAME BEHAVIOR.  I'm stumped and a bit upset. This is useless without being able to paste.  

I found that I could type in Evernote several words, then copy those words, and paste them even into the note that will not receive text from outside the note.  So it seems to care if the buffer was filled inside Evernote vs outside evernote.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, chuckepstein-1 said:

I can not paste anything into a newly created Evernote.

Can you post an enex export of the note.  We can then look at the code behind the note and maybe get an idea of the issue

17 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you post an enex export of the note.  We can then look at the code behind the note and maybe get an idea of the issue

let me correct one thing -- the PASTE failure is NOT specific to the new note.  I can't paste the simple text into an old note either.

• Like 1

I figured it out, really. There was a character in uni-code format in the source material (which came originally from text on a web-site).  That uni-code formatted character was preserved in the Notepad rendition of the text, but that was not accepted by Evernote.

Here is the URL that was the source of the text:

http://www.swarthmore.edu/student-handbook/academic-resources-and-support

The text I could not paste into Evernote is here, between the two following words:  

classrooms,
and

• 6 months later...

The problem I had was that when I tried to click on the new note or even an old note the copy paste menu did not appear even though I had contents on the clipboard. A workaround I stumbled upon was to type a character into the new note, then highlight that character , bringing up the copy paste menu. Selecting paste pasted the contents of the clipboard into the note (even though it was a fairly large amount of text). This is using an Android phone, FWIW.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, noted33 said:

The problem I had was that when I tried to click on the new note or even an old note the copy paste menu did not appear even though I had contents on the clipboard. A workaround I stumbled upon was to type a character into the new note, then highlight that character , bringing up the copy paste menu. Selecting paste pasted the contents of the clipboard into the note (even though it was a fairly large amount of text). This is using an Android phone, FWIW.

Given this is a Mac forum,  you'd be better off posting in the Android area.  I think Evernote uses the Android copy/ paste process,  so you might check when reposting to see if the same problem exists in any other app.  It would also be useful to know what device you're using and what Android version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi , my copy paste doesn't work from Microsoft Outlook . I-m trying to copy paste some code from an email to a new note in evernote and it's not working. 

mac os catalina  10.15.4 (19E287)

evernote Version 7.14 (458244 Direct) 

This is a joke. You can't charge a subscription and not have this basic feature working .

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...