(Archived) Display pdf WITHOUT preview in Mac Client

drnkusv

Idea

I have started using Evernote many, many times over the past year or so. Every time, I open the Mac client and find that in every note, all PDFS are displayed as full previews in the note. So if I have a note with three 200-page PDFs attached, as far as I can tell, the only way to get to the second PDF is to scroll past 200 pages in the note. This usually causes me to stop using Evernote.

For the love of God, is there any way to get the Mac client to just display an icon for PDF files like it does for all other files? I suppose the full page view could be nice in certain situations, but can't it be turned off?

I really hope there is some simple switch and I will feel like an idiot when someone points it out. Because why in the world would there not be.

(By the way, I think Evernote is a great concept, and I really, really want to love it. Really.)

33 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

far and away the thing that irritates me the most about EN is this. However, Dave has been in here a couple of times and made some comments - none of which indicate that this is going to change in the near future so I guess we live with it or find another solution.

Thanks for the feedback. While most people want to be able to read the PDFs that they add within their notes, we can definitely see the value of adding a feature to display a PDF as a file attachment instead.

Thanks

It would be good if there was a toggle for this.

I'm not sure I understand, but if this is requesting what I think it is, I would like to request a button in prefs to turn it on or off. I usually upload each .pdf as a separate note, and I read them right in the application. So having that ability removed would actually reduce my convenience. So please don't implement it without a way to switch it back to the way it is. Just my $.02. Thanks.

Well, you have your wish. Now with contextual menu option to view inline or as attachment, and with preferences setting for same. I like viewing as attachment because:

1) I can more easily manage multiple PDFs in one note (just as with other file types)

2) quicklook gives me a fairly robust emulation of the inline mode.

Good work. Thank you!

Yes, the next Mac release has an option to toggle a PDF from "inline" to "attachment" display mode via right-click (Cmd-click) context menu. There's a new preference to say how PDF clips should start (inline vs. attachment).

Yes, the next Mac release has an option to toggle a PDF from "inline" to "attachment" display mode via right-click (Cmd-click) context menu. There's a new preference to say how PDF clips should start (inline vs. attachment).

This isn't working for me. I want all my PDFs to always display inline, but even with the preference set that way, most imported PDF files initially display as attachments.

This isn't working for me. I want all my PDFs to always display inline, but even with the preference set that way, most imported PDF files initially display as attachments.

+1 on this issue.

Though my setting is to display inline, sometimes a file gets imported as an attachment, some other times it doesn't and nicely displays inline. This is true for both scans coming from my Canon P-150 and if I drop a file on the Evernote icon in the dock.

Running RC1 build 127027.

Ciao, Luca

It's a great feature for PDF, thanks for adding it, it would be great if the same was available for all kind of attachment though.

Sometime I add very large images to my notes. Those pictures are not meant to be displayed in EN but just stored for easy acces for further editing using external programs, the same display option available for PDFs would be a lovely addition for this use case.

• Level 5*

My last post sounded very negative - I absolutely love EN, use it dozens of times today and depend on it way too much probably.

It's this regular use that makes little things stick out and become annoying.

Thanks for the feedback. While most people want to be able to read the PDFs that they add within their notes, we can definitely see the value of adding a feature to display a PDF as a file attachment instead.

Thanks

is this thread dead? will this feature ever be implemented? i'd really like to see this work.

incidentally, i even went so far as to do the pdf attachment via the web interface but when i did a sync to the mac client the pdfs were all previewed again. :?

Count me in as another user who really would like to see the ability to attach a pdf without previewing it in the note.

Sometimes it is nice to have the preview, other times it makes the note virtually impossible to use/navigate (especially when you have a long pdf or multiple pdf's attached to the same note).

The ultimate solution would be something similar to the quick look option that appears for other types of attachments in Evernote for Mac, with the pdf just appearing as an icon, but being able to click a button to open the preview function in the note.

Please implement this functionality, it would make Evernote much more useful.

• Level 5*
There is no way of doing this at the moment.

It's been asked for lots of times.

It's incredibly annoying.

It seems like a simple thing to implement as they are doing the same with every other file type.

I'm not quite sure why they haven't.

Why has this still not been implemented?

People have been asking for this for so long, and at best all the answer the thread gets is 'Yes it would be a great feature'. I'm assuming that for some technical reason this is a big ask, but could someone at least confirm that this is something being worked on?

Give me this feature instead of the Trunk any day of the week.

Thanks

Thanks for the links. I suppose I was using hyperbole to make a point.

I realize I am being a tad over-dramatic about this. But, in all seriousness, can anyone suggest any possible rationale as to how the current implementation is reasonable? The system is expressly advertised as being useful for storing PDFs -- more than one PDF per note, in fact. Many PDFs are really long. How can anyone think that the way they are being handled makes any sense?

That's what drives me crazy. The current system makes no sense. It is really, really easy to fix. (I concede it may not be the easiest fix EVER, but there is no disputing that it is easy.) So why has it been left for so long without being fixed>

Anyone from Evernote listen in to this forum?

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16125&p=64523&hilit=read#p64523

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15759&p=62395&hilit=read#p62395

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=15644&p=61868&hilit=read#p61868

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15468&p=61298&hilit=read#p61298

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=15125&p=59406&hilit=read#p59406

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14921&p=58381&hilit=read#p58381

They don't always post a "yeah, we read it" note, though.

It's a bit presumptuous of you to say "This HAS to be the easiest fix ever", unless you're directly involved with the development of EN.

Thanks.

Anyone from Evernote listen in to this forum? This HAS to be the easiest fix ever, because it is the same exact thing you are doing with every other file known to man -- except for PDFs. Just treat PDFs exactly the same way as you treat everything else.

Please?

• Level 5*

There is no way of doing this at the moment.

It's been asked for lots of times.

It's incredibly annoying.

It seems like a simple thing to implement.

I'm not quite sure why they haven't.

Archived