Deleting Encrypted Data accidentally

mkporayko

Idea

It is very easy to delete notes accidentally with this program. If you have the basic program, you cannot recover your data and it can be lost completely in the free version of the app. When you delete the password entry for the encrypted note, the note is completely deleted without any warning or ability to recover it.  This is a serious design flaw that has not yet been resolved. This is extremely disappointing and should be seriously considered if you are going to use this program for storage of information that you feel will be secure.

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, mkporayko said:

It is very easy to delete notes accidentally with this program.

Any ideas on design changes?
My suggestion is for Evernote to implement a read-only feature to minimize accidental deletion of content

>>If you have the basic program, you cannot recover your data and it can be lost completely in the free version of the app. 

You might want to consider implementing a backup process.
Its easy enough to do on Macs - my process is documented here

My process runs over night so I still run the risk of losing data during the day.
As you mentioned, Evernote has a Note History feature that captures data more frequently.

If you accidently delete a note, it can be recovered from the Trash notebook.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, mkporayko said:

If you have the basic program, you cannot recover your data and it can be lost completely in the free version of the app.

Same applies for paid versions of the program.  Deleted notes are only recoverable from trash or a backup in all versions.

I believe that this is a problem when using this app ------ best to use something that at least warns you when information is about to be deleted. It's not like this would be a difficult feature to add to the program.  Too bad.  It should be know that this is a defective app and advertised as such so that more people do not lose their information. The updates had claimed that they fixed this problem, but it is not so! May the user beware.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mkporayko said:

I believe that this is a problem when using this app ------ best to use something that at least warns you when information is about to be deleted. It's not like this would be a difficult feature to add to the program.  Too bad.  It should be know that this is a defective app and advertised as such so that more people do not lose their information. The updates had claimed that they fixed this problem, but it is not so! May the user beware.

What problem, and what claims from updates?

If you accidenly deleted a note, why not retrieve it from the Trash

Still not clear on what issue you're reporting - Mac and something about encryption password?

I just lost my list of passwords, family member social security numbers, and a bunch of other data I had stored as encrypted content.  I believe I did exactly as noted above.  I inadvertently deleted the password field from the note.  That this happened without the opportunity to confirm is a serious flaw in what I had always considered to be a pretty good app.

2016 and still not yet resolve?  I also encounter this thing today...  I visited one the site that I need to log in so I look at my evernote to look at the log in information on that site (which is encrypted of course)   and by chance I hit the back space... and it really got deleted..  lucky you can "undo" it (ctrl z).

but the question is what if somebody who happen to play some prank on you and deleted those notes...  

Damn... we need solution here.  

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, keruchan said:

but the question is what if somebody who happen to play some prank on you and deleted those notes...  
Damn... we need solution here. 

I back up my data

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, ranjeev said:

While typing my encryption password, the new iOS app bloody overwrote my encrypted text which happened to be my crypto wallet passphrase.

Any suggestions what can be done?

This happened before the new IOS app.  If you start typing before the enter password dialogue opens you will type over the encryption.  This may have happened to you.

As a premium subscriber you can use note history to retrieve a previous version of the note via the desktop app.

Nope, I am sure that’s a bug and not a feature. To reproduce

Step 1. Tap on the encrypted text 

Step 2. Password prompt appears (the bug - focus is not on the text entry)

Step 3. Start typing your password 

Step 4. You realise password not registered, tap on the password entry box

Step 5. Too late, encryption text disappears

I experienced this twice, plus the new iOS app slow performance is a real bummer.

Been with Evernote since Jan 2009.

• Sad 1

The same exact thing happened to me this morning (and I'm a PLus-level subscriber). My most recent encrypted note with a list of important passwords completely disappeared when I accidentally hit the backspace when trying to enter the de-encryption password.  As a result, the whole note text seems to have disappeared.

This is a serious design flaw in Evernote.  At a bare minimum, all versions the program should provide a warning before erasing the note text, or--better--not delete the encrypted text at all.

(To be clear, I still have the note itself, but now it's blank,  There's no copy of the deleted encrypted text in either the Evernote Trash or the computer's Trash files.  Apparently,  I have to upgrade to find past versions of notes, when this is clearly a design flaw!?  Seems like lazy programming to me.  Seriously considering abandoning Evernote--even though I've been a member since 2009.)

• Level 5

This is IMHO no design flaw - or do you know any program that will ask you for a confirmation when you hit a delete key ? It would be unusable, always clicking away confirmation boxes.

It is up to you to decide about your contents fate now. It is not a simple choice, because if you decide to get it back, you will have to abandon your Plus subscription. You need to upgrade to Personal, and there is no way back to Plus afterwards. You can decide to go to Free later, or continue with Personal or above.

For all notes note history is permanently written. This are older versions of a note, and a new version is written to history when the note is changed. You can access it, go back in time and decide to set back to a prior version, or create a new copy with that older content.

But to access it, you need to be at least on the grandfathered Premium, or on the newer Personal subscription. Free and Plus don't have access to note history. 2 other conditions are the use of a desktop client, and the not itself still must exist - not a duplicate, since the duplicate comes along with its own note history, which likely will be empty. It seems these conditions are met in your case.

So now it is up to you to decide: Upgrade to Personal, and get access to note history, or stay at Plus, and leave the content lost. You must not hurry the decision - up to now (at least to my knowledge) note histories have not been deleted.

Remark: No need to argue with me about these options - I am just another user, and I can only tell you what works, and how. I don't take the decision, and I don't take blame that the options may not be satisfying. Text encryption is not meant to serve as a replacement for a password manager, and you just found out why. To mention it: Using it to store crypto keys sucks as well.

I can't reproduce the steps that ranjeev is talking about in v10.47. Perhaps he was working in the Legacy version or perhaps that specific issue has been made better.

It does seem relatively easy to accidentally delete an encrypted block by pressing any key when the block has the blue highlighted select box around it. (This is from 10.47 right now on Desktop). This behavior is also consistent with how the Editor works in general. If you have an attachment, image, sketch, etc selected and press any key, it will replace that object with the text. It is pretty easy to also press Ctrl-Z too after the fact to restore it, but if you didn't notice right away and went to a different note, then you are in trouble.

Access to the version history was the main reason for me to upgrade to Personal from Plus. There were other factors too, but that version history feature even outweighed the new task, home, and calendar integration features. I figured since I had recently really started using Evernote for critical business (both work and personal) then it made sense for me to pay that extra for that extra peace of mind.

18 hours ago, Manderse1 said:

Apparently,  I have to upgrade to find past versions of notes, when this is clearly a design flaw!?  Seems like lazy programming to me.  Seriously considering abandoning Evernote--even though I've been a member since 2009.

Now is as good a time as any to re-evaluate. It may be that there are other apps out there now that would better fit your usage of the product. I did something similar when I lost some data a couple of years back in Evernote and it seemed to be due to some kind of sync bug that wiped out my data (and I was still on Plus at that point too). I ended up sticking with Evernote in the end (and eventually upgrading to Personal to boot) after trying over a dozen other products. They all had missing features or design flaws too (at least to me).

• Like 1