Is there a way to perfectly migrate all notes from one account to another?

I do know the exporting & importing method, but the defects are:

1. The "create time, update time info" of notes will be lost; 
  2. The structure of notebook-stack will be lost; 
  3. The worst, is the Evernote internal links (refers another note from one note) will be lost! 

Because of the huge work to re-construct the internal links among the notes, this work will be a nightmare! Is there a way to perfectly do the migration?

Say I want to migrate data from account A to B. I tried to migrate like this: in account A, share notebooks with modify privilege with B. Then move notes to B's local notebooks. However, the moved note was not really moved; the fact is: the old note was moved to trash and a exact copy of that note was created in the dest notebook. So the trouble is: all internal links to the moved note would be broken! I think this is a bug of Evernote. Since I "moved" the note to new notebook, it should not delete and create a new one, which caused the note's GUID changed so old link does not work.

Anyone can help is appreciated. Thanks. Also, if the Eevernote official team can fix the bug, or provide a perfect solution to migrate date, that will be great.

• Level 5*

The only thing that will be lost is note history (it is attached to the account) and note URLs shared. The reason the URLs are affected is note links/URLs are specific to a user. The same thing happens when a note is moved from a personal account to a business account. That isn't a bug, but by design.

The "updated" date will change as well but not the creation date.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Alan Rew said:

It's a shame that note links are lost in that situation. As a website developer, I'd like to think they were like relative URLs, and hence portable.

No. Think of it as using the full URL with the domain name, and every account is a separate domain. Furhtermore, a link like http://www.evernote.com/l/AAGOQs-KPI1LZrSjC9KQDAAxrOKw3bEut_w/ has a bunch of random stuff in it so people are far less likely to be able to "discover" notes by changing letters looking for URLs. 

Even internal URLs like evernote:///view/99999/s1/8e42cf8r-3c8d-4b66-b4a3-0bd2922c0131/8e42cf8r-3c8d-4b66-b4a3-0bd2922c0131/ https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/nl/99999/87ab325a-204e-43a7-881e-24a6ca86d6aa or are specific to that user account. I believe, but not 100% sure, the evernote:///view/99999/s1/ is unique to each account. The S1 represents the shard you are on. I don't even know how many shards Evernote has. Used to be 30 I think. The 5 digits seems to be unique to me, or at least unique to me on S1. And I don't know what the "nl" is on the common internal note link that starts HTTPS. It isn't in the internal link you can generate that is evernote:///

In any event, the note URLs/links have a measure of privacy in them, and as such, unique to each account.

THis is why I often don't link with URLs but with tags. So an important note today I might call EN20161115tax if it relates to tax matters. I can stick that link in any app and then find it in Evernote. I also use ON20161115tax for notes in OneNote (which we use at work) and even OL20161115tax at the bottom of an email in a really tiny font that I can use to reference an email I sent from any app. (OL for Outlook). Of course, with Email, you have to remember to tag it before you hit send. :-)

2 小時前, EdH說:

In any event, the note URLs/links have a measure of privacy in them, and as such, unique to each account.

THis is why I often don't link with URLs but with tags. So an important note today I might call EN20161115tax if it relates to tax matters. I can stick that link in any app and then find it in Evernote. I also use ON20161115tax for notes in OneNote (which we use at work) and even OL20161115tax at the bottom of an email in a really tiny font that I can use to reference an email I sent from any app. (OL for Outlook). Of course, with Email, you have to remember to tag it before you hit send. :-)

Even others know the internal link URL, he/she still cannot access the note if he/she has no access privilege. So I don't think that will be a problem, especially when I move notes from one notebook to another.

Tag is a solution but I get used to organizing related notes into a menu/summary page, which is much more flexible than just tagging the related notes because I can write down some comments on linked notes.

So it seems that there is not a simple way to do a perfect migration without losing my EN internal links? Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 11/15/2016 at 6:38 PM, Mcy2016 said:

So it seems that there is not a simple way to do a perfect migration without losing my EN internal links? Thanks.

Correct. 

• 7 months later...
On 16/11/2016 at 0:38 PM, Mcy2016 said:

So it seems that there is not a simple way to do a perfect migration without losing my EN internal links?

Is this still the case?  I'm really sick of all the Evernote bugs that never get fixed but I have millions of internal links....

• Level 5*

Hi.  Don't think anything has changed recently,  but you might be better off raising the query in the forums for your alternative software of choice.  Successful migrators won't necessarily still be lurking here...

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, dbareis said:

Is this still the case?  I'm really sick of all the Evernote bugs that never get fixed but I have millions of internal links....

Aren't the links tied to your account? My links look like this: (URL modified)

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/nl/12345/e6d25e8d-5352-aa44-1234-abcf123562

s1 says my data is on shard 1. THere are multiple shards, so at a minimum, notes are shard specific. A new account opened on s25 couldn't possibly have same link.

Not sure what "nl" is.

12345 (fake) is my account. Every note I have has that in the URL, and a different account would have a different link. 

It is possible two notes have the same last part of the URL above in two different accounts I suspect, but the user account (and shard) would make it unique.

OneNote is similar, but worse, If you move notes in OneNote from one notebook to another, the internal links are broken, even if it is all within your account. EN, IMHO, does it correctly here.

On 06/07/2017 at 3:33 AM, EdH said:

Aren't the links tied to your account? My links look like this: (URL modified)

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/nl/12345/e6d25e8d-5352-aa44-1234-abcf123562

OneNote is similar, but worse, If you move notes in OneNote from one notebook to another, the internal links are broken, even if it is all within your account. EN, IMHO, does it correctly here.

This is what the links in OneNote look like:

evernote:///view/2252845/s21/7513a946-84be-49db-b6cf-26e43e1169d9/7713b816-74be-49db-b6bf-26e43d1060d0/

I just tested moving a page from one notebook to another and the link was maintained, sounds like they might have fixed that (OneNote 2016).

6 minutes ago, EdH said:

That is an evernote link in OneNote. Not a OneNote link. 

But I can see you are on shard 21. ;)

To be honest I don't know what you mean by shard 21 etc but the whole point is that the Microsoft EverNote importer doesn't handle the links and I proved it in my previous email.

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-05 at 오전 1시 9분, dbareis said:

I see this as more of a fact, than a bug to be fixed.

Fact 1:  Evernote provides a method to export/import notes.  This can be used to move/copy notes to a different account

Fact 2: Note links (browser and in-app) reference the original notes which may or may not exist

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I see this as more of a fact, than a bug to be fixed.

Fact 1:  Evernote provides a method to export/import notes.  This can be used to move/copy notes to a different account

Fact 2: Note links (external and internal) reference the original notes which may or may not exist

Hi,

I never said the Evernote importing issue was an Evernote bug...  The bugs are the reasons I'm trying to move to OneNote, such as the fact that simply copying and pasting into a note can corrupt it and remove sections of my notes and that Undo doesn't undo (apparently its not supposed to according to Evernote support, go figure). I've reported many bugs over the years and I'm not sure any has been fixed.

Anyway I'm asking on a Microsoft forum now, as pointed out people who have successfully converted will no longer be reading this forum.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dbareis said:

The bugs are the reasons I'm trying to move to OneNote, 

Make sure you understand how OneNote does links. It is such a train wreck I don't even use links in OneNote. I use hash tags. I use OneNote daily at work. 

Your july 6 post was a complaint that you cannot move Evernote notes to another account without breaking the link. 

Wait until you find you cannot move OneNote notes to another notebook without doing the same. I've seen section renaming break OneNote notes. 

Totally a half thought through train wreck. 

And I really like using OneNote at work. Not more then evernote, and never for linking. 

• 5 weeks later...

I exported to an enex file and tried to import immediately on another evernote account. I allways lose Notes. If I look into the not imorted txt File I allways find this

Element "img", attribute "src", URL "" error: can't be empty

Why I could not move data from one to another account without loss

• Level 5*
On 8/7/2017 at 9:25 AM, kdm173 said:

I exported to an enex file and tried to import immediately on another evernote account. I allways lose Notes. If I look into the not imorted txt File I allways find this

Element "img", attribute "src", URL "" error: can't be empty

Why I could not move data from one to another account without loss

I don't know why that wouldn't work unless the original note itself was corrupt in some way, but I would be more inclined to share your notes from Account A to Account B and then in Account B, copy them to Account B only notebooks.

Of course, if any source notes are corrupt, this might lose the same notes, or at best, copy corruption.

• Level 5*

How are you importing?  To an offline temporary notebook,  or into an existing synced notebook with some previous current notes?  If you untick Import Note Tags does that change the error?

598aedcf71855_ImportWindow.png.6790a2aea773bfc483a0a1922791cd94.png

As you may know we're a (mainly) user-supported forum here,  so - if you haven't already done so - I'd suggest you also contact Support directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

I imported to an unsynced notebook named "imported notes". All notebooks landed together in this notebook. I did not know another way to import. If possible I would prefer to have the old notebook structure. Maybe I did not know the way.

I imported again without tags and I am missing 38 notes. Same as with tags

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, kdm173 said:

All notebooks landed together in this notebook. I did not know another way to import. If possible I would prefer to have the old notebook structure. Maybe I did not know the way.

Use separate export/import for each notebook

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, kdm173 said:

That is not good news if you have many notebooks. I tried it with separate export and  I am still missing 38 from 950 notes.

I tried it in the meantime with another windows machine and it is the same.

For that many notebooks, I’d recommend scripting, or a third party application (Backupery)

I’m interested in the missing notes, that’s critical.  Can you identify any pattern?  Can you give us access to the enex file?

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, kdm173 said:

How can I do it

I tried to attach a 60 MB File and it is refused. Max size would be 0.49 MB

Store it in Evernote.  Generate a public url 

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, kdm173 said:

You could perhaps make things easier by finding a note that did not import, and export that. Then that note's .ENEX file can be examined. Otherwise, anyone trying to figure out what's going on needs to guess at which notes are problematic. Plus, anyone who imports the whole thing doesn't get polluted by your many tags.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, kdm173 said:

I added the failures to the dropbox folder 

I'm importing your failure.enex files on my Mac.  I'm getting notes

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, kdm173 said:

Just exported all notes from another machine with windows 10 without errors and imported on another machine and again:

11:07:41 [7056] Problem report: Import Error: CANT_SET_NOTE_TAG

I have recently received this same error.  After cleanup I retried the import and it died at a different note count.  EN is working the trouble ticket.  This isn't a good one since if it is specific to the EN processes it impacts the integrity of the backups.  :mellow:

Just in case you have corrupted notes in your original account, there are some advanced features in Evernote accessible via CTRL&click on the 'Help' menu, including features like 'fix all notes', 'fill all resources' etc. I've never resorted to these but they look useful for checking the integrity of your notes prior to export. YMMV of course.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Alan Rew said:

Just in case you have corrupted notes in your original account, there are some advanced features in Evernote accessible via CTRL&click on the 'Help' menu, including features like 'fix all notes', 'fill all resources' etc. I've never resorted to these but they look useful for checking the integrity of your notes prior to export. YMMV of course.

Good suggestion, but I don't think this is a note integrity issue.  I have tried to load the same ENEX file multiple times and it dies with different note counts.  Hopefully will hear something from EN this week as to what the issue is.  This has worked in the past for me with large notebook sizes, but not now.  This is critical since it is the only way to back up local notebooks and also the only way to have a backup in case one accidentally deletes a note from a synced notebook.

I repaired database, deleted links without note and so on. Than I tried again to export and import and again I am missing notes and have a failure report like before.

Thank you for teaching us about this hidden menu for future issues. For the actual one it did not solve the problem.

I updated all apps to the newest  Version and tried again. Same problem

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, kdm173 said:

Thank you for teaching us about this hidden menu for future issues.

The hidden menu is hidden because the operations it offers are generally for use when tech support is trying to diagnose / fix a specific problem. They might have a noticeable effect, they might not.

Archived