Is there a new scanner from evernote that competes with the fujitsu ix500?

dcaron1111

so im tackling a project that deals with a huge volume of paperwork and files. They ultimately wants to digitize the entire office and there are tons of documents. obviously this is project of time and patience so the right machine to facilitate this efficiently is crucial. is there a specific model i should be looking at. im only seeing the evernote branded scanner from two years ago and not an updated model.

thanks.

• Level 5*

Just about any scanner will work, from Evernote or not, in theory.  If you have "tons" of documents to scan though, you may want to consider an industrial strength network scanner with a high volume feeder and the like.  First step would be to estimate the actual volume to be scanned. 

I have a ScanSnap S1300i, but I would NOT use it for high volume work, it's more of a personal scanner, 10 pages at a time, no separator pages and the like.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dcaron1111 said:

so im tackling a project that deals with a huge volume of paperwork and files. They ultimately wants to digitize the entire office and there are tons of documents. obviously this is project of time and patience so the right machine to facilitate this efficiently is crucial. is there a specific model i should be looking at. im only seeing the evernote branded scanner from two years ago and not an updated model.

As @csihilling said, any scanner can be used.  I use my iPhone and a scanner app.

You should identify the features you need.

• Network connection to Evernote
  • sheet feeder, double sided
  • ocr
  • output format

thanks for the reply. i do agree on the industrial equipment recommendation but for knowledge purposes, are there any distinguishable differences between the evernote branded scanner versus the Fujitsu's. is there a new model of the evernote scanner thats coming out? i just need to present the client key differences between scanner A and scanner B and what would be the best solution going forward

• Level 5

Here is a blog that is loaded with comparison information. 

One key point: "My model ended up being the ‘non-Evernote branded’ version. This was Fujitsu’s own model and it actually had many more features available and a much broader range of uses than the Evernote version did…all for a lower price too!  Mine came bundled with tons of great software like a full version of Adobe Acrobat which gave me all the creation and editing tools necessary for working with PFDs."

https://vsatips.wordpress.com/evernote-tips-links-fujitsu-scansnap-scanner/

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, dcaron1111 said:

thanks for the reply. i do agree on the industrial equipment recommendation but for knowledge purposes, are there any distinguishable differences between the evernote branded scanner versus the Fujitsu's. is there a new model of the evernote scanner thats coming out? i just need to present the client key differences between scanner A and scanner B and what would be the best solution going forward

No expert, but I don't think there are significant differences between the EN branded scanner and Fujitsu's, there may be something in the EN marketing?  Clueless as to if there is a newer version of the EN scanner in the offing, sorry.  You may want to consider scan volumes in the beginning and steady state.  Might look like two different scanner profiles, so how to pick the best overall....

Thanks jbenson2 for sharing my post about the nonEvernote version. I really love my scanner and made a YouTube video  recently showing how I scan with it using an iPad. It's not a great video...but it may help to see it in action. When updating my article recently I learned that Amazon now sells both versions and they are really close in price. Both have come down in price...but the Evernote one more so because it was higher initially. The nonEvernote version doesn't look like it includes the bundled Adobe Acrobat anymore...which frankly may not matter much. I was excited because it's an expensive app but I've never used it!  I use an iPad for most everything and I can do anything I need to with PDF's using things like Pages, Good Reader and Readdle's PDF Converter.  

I'm not sure of the volume of scanning you have to do dcaron1111 but I think the Fujitsu could handle a lot. I've been slowly digitizing all of our home records. Many File boxes worth of records as well as things like health insurance eob's, all my old Filofax calendars, even groups of photos, and everything has been easy and fast. My husband hates learning new technology and was resisting using it for years. He felt it was easier having his secretary do it. But I sort of forced the issue a few weeks ago and he was surprised at how easy it is and he's now actually using it too!  I did read somewhere that some piece of hardware, maybe the roller, wears out after a lot of use and needs replacing.  It's been several years now and there's no indication that we're approaching that point.

One other quirky issue arose recently.  Sometimes when I open the cover it doesn't immediately turn on.  I found this blog which describes why not and how to get it to turn on anyway.  Apparently with age a little button gets sort of sticky...but it's an easy fix too.

• Level 5*

I've said several times now that my standard ScanSnap S1500 has helped me convert a small technical library into electronic storage - the stats tell me I've scanned nearly 23,000 sheets so far.  It's been super-reliable throughout,  and is easy and quick to use.  If you're looking for a workhorse to scan mainly A4 documents (A3 is possible but the page needs folding into a carrier) I would recommend it or its successors from Fujitsu.  IMHO the Evernote scanner,  whilst essentially the same hardware,  has been software-tweaked for a multi-user office environment and has features you won't need.

Archived