Evernote is AUTO-TAGGING! How'd THAT happen?

AnnieUSA

:unsure: Dear Community:

I have spent HOURS trying to find an answer for this so PLEASE don't flame me if I missed it. I really tried!

I have been using Evernote Premium on a Mac Retina 5k for a little over a year now and have noticed that recently it is auto-tagging one particular web-clipping. Not any others, just this one. I clip a lot of news articles, and for some reason, whenever I clip from the Washington Post, it auto-tags it for me! Which is AWESOME. But I can't figure out how to replicate it! I don't even know how it started! Can anyone tell me?

THANK YOU! ~ Annie

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, AnnieUSA said:

I have been using Evernote Premium on a Mac Retina 5k for a little over a year now and have noticed that recently it is auto-tagging one particular web-clipping. Not any others, just this one. I clip a lot of news articles, and for some reason, whenever I clip from the Washington Post, it auto-tags it for me! Which is AWESOME. But I can't figure out how to replicate it! I don't even know how it started! Can anyone tell me?

Smart filing?Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 4.45.57 AM.png

There's a setting in the web clipper options

• Level 5

Tagging is absolutely critical for my search in Evernote.

I tried the Smart Filing option, but it still required my review to ensure it was done correctly. After a couple weeks, I turned it off.

On 11/13/2016 at 7:49 AM, DTLow said:

Smart filing?Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 4.45.57 AM.png

There's a setting in the web clipper options

THANK YOU! Now a new question... How do I get to that screen??? lol I just gave it a quick go but I'm not seeing it... Is it on-line or in my app? I don't see it in either. Sorry to be such an idiot.

Just now, AnnieUSA said:

THANK YOU! Now a new question... How do I get to that screen??? lol I just gave it a quick go but I'm not seeing it... Is it on-line or in my app? I don't see it in either. Sorry to be such an idiot.

Oh! NEVER MIND!!!!!!!! Found it!!! Haha.

1 minute ago, AnnieUSA said:

Nevermind! Found it!

• 10 months later...

Yes, with the Smart Filing feature, Evernote now automatically puts in some tags. It's a step forward, but not nearly enough. We need auto-tag rules, similar to Gmail's filters, to catch what Evernote doesn't seem to be able to "learn" on its own. Here's why.

In the 15 years I've used Gmail, I've built up literally hundreds of auto-tagging rules (Gmail calls them "filters" but it's the same concept). I've done this because it makes it easier to find stuff in Gmail. All the concepts below that apply to Gmail would also apply to Evernote, to make it easier to find stuff in Evernote.

Here are some categories of auto-tagging:

1) Subset/superset relationships. For instance, when a note from a teacher calls out the name of one of my kids, Gmail automatically attaches the label "family". When a note mentions "401k", Gmail automatically attaches the label "Investments". When I receive a newsletter than mentions one of my company's competitors by name, Gmail attaches the label "competitor". You get the point.

2) Related concepts. When emails come from venmo.com and include the words "you paid", Gmail applies the label "receipt". 

3) Synonyms. My siblings have nicknames and commonly misspelled names. Gmail looks at all these, and applies an appropriate label for the sibling. That way I don't have to search for every permutation of their name or nickname.

Here are some examples of where I go through Evernote and manually tag items. It's a pain. Auto-tagging would save me a lot of time.

1. Apply tag corresponding to notebook name. So for example, everything in my Marketing notebook gets the Marketing tag. Everything in the Career notebook gets the Career tag. And so on. I put notes into one of a couple dozen notebooks. But sometimes a note could go into one of two different notebooks. For example, my career is marketing. So, sometimes I'll use the web clipper to pull in something that could go into the career notebook, and sometimes it goes into the marketing notebook. But to find it later, I'll tag it both "career" and "marketing". That say, since everything has a tag, just search by tag.

2. Tag by person name. Do a search for various spellings of my coworkers names, with quotes, as in "John Doe" or (mispelled) "Jon Doe" or nickname "Doe". Then apply a tag "johndoe". This makes it quicker to find meeting notes for that person. Or an article that was referred by that person. 

3. Tag by content type. Quick, what's the advanced search operator to find all notes with a PDF? It's resource:application/pdf. Not the easiest thing to remember, right? So I'll select all notes, search for resource:application/pdf, and tag as "pdf". Much easier to find PDFs. I'll also search for "docs.google.com/document/", "docs.google.com/spreadsheets/", and "docs.google.com/presentation/", and tag those "google doc", "google sheet", and "google slides", respectively. 

4. Tag by synonym. I take notes for an activity I do, sailboat racing. One type of boat is called a Vanguard 15. But articles I pull in through the web clipper might refer to "V15" or "Vanguard 15". I search for both, and apply the tag "Vanguard 15".

5. Tag by superclass. Also in the realm of sailing, I'll put in articles on boats that are called Knarrs, J/70s (also written J70, without the slash), J/105s, (and, J105), and so forth. All of these are a type of boat called a keelboat. So I'll do all those searches and apply the tag "keelboat". In the realm of work, when I clip an article that contains the word "GDPR" or "HIPAA", I'll add the tag "compliance", againn to make things easier to find.

6. Tag by related concept. Someday I'd love to race a boat to Hawaii, and I use Evernote to gather information I'll need to do those, since you're pretty much on your own in terms of packing food, surviving a gear failure (or worse, sunken boat), and so on. There are two main races, Pacific Cup on even years, and Transpac on odd years. They pretty much have the same challenges. When I use web clipper to pull an article with "Pacific Cup" in it, I apply the tag "transpac". Vice-versa when the article contains the word "Transpac". 

Yes, that's a lot of tagging. And I do even more. All to make it possible to locate notes among the thousands I have in Evernote. Hopefully this shows how auto-tagging would be useful.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, ChipAHoy said:

Where do I find the options for the auto-tagging points listed by Al Sargent? 

His list was for auto-tagging in the gmail app and a wish list for Evernote
Evernote does not have "auto tagging rules"

There is a third-party product "Filterize" that implements auto-tagging for Evernote.  
I use auto-tagging scripts on my Mac

>>I find notebooks created that I did not create. How is that possible? 

I've only seen auto-notebooks for note edit conflicts
Can you give examples of the notebooks and contents

Archived