PDF page order

westgard

Idea

It would be nice to be able to use Evernote to re-order PDFs, delete pages, use Scannable and Penultimate and Skitch with Evernote, and while the basics are there, I would really like to be able to either alter the PDF page order, and remove pages from PDFs from within the Evernote app. OR at the very least to be able to re-export the PDF to Scannable to do this.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Since EN doesn't typically reinvent the wheel for technologies that already exist, I might suggest looking into a stand alone PDF tool.  Lots of free and modestly prices ones out there.

+1 westgard. The ability to do basic PDF editing (add remove pages, reorder, etc.) in Evernote is something I would really like to be able to do on iOS.

Re: csihilling's 'reinventing the wheel' point, there's not actually any straight forward way to do this with 3rd party tools. Although they are many available, because of iOS and Evernote constraints you cannot edit a PDF attachment in-place. So even if you edit a PDF in another application, this is only a copy of the original PDF, requiring messy steps to actually copy it back into your original note (where it now co-exists alongside the original PDF, until you delete this from the note).

Simple 'in Evernote' PDF editing avoids this whole mess.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, djol said:

So even if you edit a PDF in another application, this is only a copy of the original PDF, requiring messy steps to actually copy it back into your original note (where it now co-exists alongside the original PDF, until you delete this from the note)

Not in my experience.  If I open a PDF in Adobe, move pages around or whatever, all I have to do is save the PDF when I exit Adobe and the changes are saved to the PDF in the note.  No messy steps involved.

13 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Not in my experience.  If I open a PDF in Adobe, move pages around or whatever, all I have to do is save the PDF when I exit Adobe and the changes are saved to the PDF in the note.  No messy steps involved.

Hmm. That's interesting. This is certainly how it works on the Mac or Windows, but as far as I can see not iOS. I have multiple different PDF tools on iOS, and just installed Adobe to try this - like all the others the PDF share sheet only gives you the option of opening (as a copy) in these third party apps. Any changes made are not reflected in the original PDF in Evernote.

Are you sure you're talking about doing this on iOS?

2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

My bad, I wasn't pay close enough attention, missed the IOS bit.  Oops.  Edited the above.

No prob! To be honest, this is something I miss from Evernote on the Mac. Editing a note's PDF in place with Preview or similar was a joy to use. Really made Evernote feel like a virtual filing system. Pity not easily achievable with iOS.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, djol said:

this is something I miss from Evernote on the Mac. Editing a note's PDF in place with Preview or similar was a joy to use. Really made Evernote feel like a virtual filing system. Pity not easily achievable with iOS.

I also miss Editing in Place

I suspect this is may be an IOS issue, and it's not restricted to PDFs 

I have a budget spreadsheet I want to store as an Evernote attachment.  I have no reason to store it externally, and storing in Evernote means it's searchable.  

Because of the IOS restriction, I have to store the spreadsheet on a cloud drive, and only use a link in Evernote.

Archived