Clipper couldn't start

eafpres

Idea

I'm running Evernote in Windows 10 on a lenovy Y50 touch.  Recently updated to 6.4.2.3788

Only in the last week or so I'm getting the error from Evernote Web Clipper:  It occurs often, but not all the time.  This never happened in the past and my workflow has not changed.

"The Clipper couldn't start on this page. Reload the page and try again.  If that doesn't help, contact customer support."

See attached for the actual dialogue.

I suspect it has to do with this version.  Reloading the pages does work, but is inconvenient.

20161108 issue with clipper.jpg

32 replies to this idea

On 11/30/2016 at 9:52 AM, RobertG said:

Same experience, on Chrome on Windows; also on Chromebook.  (FF running in Linux on Chromebook doesn't seem to have problem).  The problem seems connected to having multiple tabs open.  If I copy the address and open in a new window, clipper almost always works (but even then may need a reload or two).

I have found another workaround that seems to work with Chrome.  Right click the tab and select "duplicate".  Clip on the new tab.  So far that works every time for me.

I'm also experiencing this... came out of the blue. I clip dozens of articles each week into my Evernote database from all across the internet (PDFs as well as full webpages and images). I used to get this error once every month or so. Now probably about 80% of the pages I try to clip need to be reloaded. Sometimes it takes 3-5 refreshes for the web clipper to work.

I'm experiencing this on Chrome across both Windows and macOS Sierra.

Same experience, on Chrome on Windows; also on Chromebook.  (FF running in Linux on Chromebook doesn't seem to have problem).  The problem seems connected to having multiple tabs open.  If I copy the address and open in a new window, clipper almost always works (but even then may need a reload or two).

1 hour ago, RobertG said:

The problem seems connected to having multiple tabs open.  If I copy the address and open in a new window, clipper almost always works (but even then may need a reload or two).

Hey Robert--see my repro steps earlier in this thread.  Definitely somehow related to multiple tabs.  Unfortunately for me, I usually work with 20ish tabs open all the time...

I, for one, will not switch browsers or stop using multiple tabs.  

And aside from seeing this problem fixed, I wonder why EN has not (as far as I know) acknowledged this problem?  It would be nice to know that someone is at least aware of it. 

I have found a few pages where reloading (clicking the reload button at the top of the browser; I'm running Chrome) does not work. For those i had to use another browser.  For the majority it works for me. Using IE works for those pages for me. 

On 10/31/2017 at 11:22 AM, Squirello said:

I'm still seeing this problem more or less on every new page I try to clip. Quite remarkable the people at Evernote seem to ignore such a big bug. 

So you are using the clipper in Windows client?  Which version?  What browser?

I use Windows 10 and run 6.8 beta 3 at present,  and Chrome for clipping web content.  From time to time I see issues and occasionally I have to log back into the clipper.  I don't think that is your case.  I suggest clearing the cache (for the last hour, day whatever works) and seeing if that clears it up.

This is happening to me now all the time too. 1 out of 10 pages can be clipped using the Web Clipper and the rest all get the "This page needs to be reloaded..." and it still never works after reloading the page.

Here's a page that couldn't be clipped:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/03/06/518362255/feeling-lonely-too-much-time-on-social-media-may-be-why

Firefox Quantom 57 / Windows 10 / Web Clipper 6.13

This has happened for quite awhile before the latest version of Firefox. It started happening several months back.

I have found a way to repro this in Chrome.  I have sent the following to support as well:

Bookmark several pages--I used 4 in my tets.
From an existing Chrome window, open a new tab.
Drag the tab off so it is a separate window
Open bookmarks
Open all 4 pages at once (the ones previously bookmarked)
Go to the first one, use clipper--works normally
Close that tab after clipping
On the next tab, clipper will fail and you need to reload the tab.

As posted elsewhere getting same issue;

As of yesterday morning having the same issue. Working on OS X 10.11.6 , Chrome Version 54.0.2840.98 (64-bit) and Web Clipper version 6.10.1 (35f63f9/1.1.0.926). Have evernote app installed on my machine (Version 6.10 (454269 App Store)) which was updated possibly the day before the issued occurred..... 

I would like to repro this better before getting asked to reinstall Evernote. Wasn't doing much clipping today and it did not occur. Agree if I can repro I'll submit ticket. Good to know I'm not unique (thanks JayF). 

Attached is a screen shot of the problem clipping a page while in gmail using Chrome.  I have clipper 6.10 (see the inset lower left) which the store says is the latest version.

gmail isn't the best example; next time it happens in a web page I'll capture and add.

20161109 clipper issues.jpg

• Level 5*

Hi.  Might be useful if you could collect a few URLs where you encounter this issue - what version of the Clipper do you have (according to your browser add-ons menu) and what browser are you using?

Archived