Thomas Q

Let Evernote work like the brain works

Idea

Please correct me, if I'm wrong. But I haven't seen any request to improve EN's layout capabilities right here.

I'm a long time premium user. I have tons of notes and I love to have one place for all written notes, ideas, quotes, etc. But I also miss to create advanced layouts.

Cooking ideas is more than just writing everything down. I have so many ideas and thoughts in my notebooks, but my associative mind won't find a fast way to connect them or to visualize them.

Adding pictures to existing notes is a painful experience because I cannot arrange that the way I want. Inserting and arranging tables in EN is a mess.

It's not my intention to jump on the OneNote waggon, but let's face it: ON is not popular because it's free. There are so many Apps to synchronize written notes. One of the main advantages of ON is it's versatile layout capabilities. 

I can't understand that. It's 2016. Computers, Smartphones and Tablets are so well evolved - and we have no way to get our ideas into these gadgets in a manner like our brain works?

Our brains are associative and visual "machines".

I don't believe, that EN can compete with dedicated writer's tools (although Markdown support would be appreciated) or with Handwriting-Apps like GoodNotes.

But if EN will be able to get more visual, more versatile, more flexible - that would be a great win-win-solution!

• Like 4

11 replies to this idea

As a request, I think you're going to have to be a little more explicit

@DTLow: You're right. Let's go a little bit more specific. 

I would appreciate an UI, that allows me to place text and pictures anywhere in the note plus the ability to resize them. Look at OneNote, Pages, Keynote, Powerpoint, OmniGraffle, etc. (I'm a Mac user - there is a appropriate selection of Apps on Windows). I have to admit, OneNote is very good at this. Just the like the editing works. On the other side, I consider their skeuomorphistic design of notebooks not as helpful. It's limiting.

Furthermore I would like to have an easier linking between notes. If I'm writing in Note A and want to create a link to Note B, I have to stop the editing, leave Note A, go to Note B, copy the link of Note B, go to Note A again, select the position of the link and then have to select the menu Format-Link-Create Link (or Cmd-K) and paste the copied link. I don't think, that's the way the brain works. At least it's not the way my brain works (maybe I'm weird...). I want to select a word, pressing Cmd-K and then select Note B in the sidebar. 

Some background is that Evernote has chosen to use an html format instead of something proprietary.

Yes, the html format is the background. That's the way a Note is saved and displayed, but it doesn't have to be the way it's edited.

That's just a start. In saying "Let Evernote works like the brain works" I'm referring to the associative and visual way of thinking. Yeah, it's fuzzy. It should be an inspiration to create something more than "faster horses". A little bit "outside-the-box"-thinking. A kind of mindset to get beyond limits and work-arounds. If not Evernote - what else?

5 hours ago, Thomas Q said:

Adding pictures to existing notes is a painful experience because I cannot arrange that the way I want. 

You didn't indicate how you want to arrange pictures.Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 4.45.48 AM.png
My work-around for layout is to work within a table(s)
It provides me a background colour and cells for inserting text and pictures

Inserting and working with tables is satisfactory on Windows/Mac; not so great on the other platforms.

>>I can't understand that. It's 2016. Computers, Smartphones and Tablets are so well evolved - and we have no way to get our ideas into these gadgets in a manner like our brain works?

Some background is that Evernote has chosen to use an html format instead of something proprietary.
I'm in favour of this, but I'm thinking it applys limits to things like layout.

• Like 1

@Thomas Q

maybe because we are both living in the same part of Europe, I too, feel  Evernote needs a lot of polishing up. I am a Windows user, belonging to the 60+ generation but with the recent increase in subscription fees I would like to see a truly advanced writer module incorporated. Open-source LibreOffice Writer incorporated  would turn the  Elephant into a Cheetah. 

But as long as a dark side panel is hailed as thrilling news I feel there is little hope. I would certainly recommend Evernote management to consider collaboration with others.

Another thing: just image a German software company presenting their planning, designing staff dressed up as bunnies or was it elephants?, hopping around in front of a whiteboard, each one adding a "brilliant wonderful idea for the future" on the board.

I wish you (us) well with your idea. But don't be surprised to learn that only a few cranks come up with such utterly ridiculous ideas. And if at all, - the implementation - will - take - time. Don't even think in terms of say, half a year or less.

Cheers, mach's gut usw. ;)

Um, our brains continue to work with simpler formats like simple text just fine, as they have for hundreds of years, and Evernote provides more than that. But that being said, better formatting tools would be welcome, for sure. Evernote notes supports a simplified subset of XHTML markup; see https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php for details. Basically, Evernote notes are static documents, with no active content allowed, and the ability to do fancy formatting tricks is therefore pretty much limited. On the other hand, we do know that Evernote can represent complex formatting, since we can see it in web sites clipped into Evernote, so some better formatting is available in Evernote documents. The problem is providing the tools to create it in Evernote clients. I would never expect a full-on page editing capabilities, a la MS Word or Adobe; I think it's overkill for most users, and probably not in scope for Evernote, But features like better table formatting, ability to place images in text more precisely, I'd use those for sure.

Upvoted.

@DTLow

@jefito

I'm fully aware of the current technical limitations, but they are (hopefully) not carved in stone. I hope it doesn't sound blunt or ignorant, but in the end it's all just pixels on my screen. I try to think in "solutions", not in "problems".

Kodak invented the first digital camera in 1975, and they dropped it to avoid threats to their photographic film business.

Evernote CEO Chris O'Neil said (not literally): Hey Plus and Premium users - give me 35/70 $ and I'll build you the "Evernote of tomorrow"

Henry Ford said: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

This is the Evernote Feature Request Forum and I don't want Evernote to be just "a faster horse" or sticking to "traditions" and going down the tube like Kodak.

Btw: Yes, they will see my 70 bucks. I'm still here and not on the OneNote waggon with a lot of pathetic whining....;)

15 minutes ago, Thomas Q said:

This is the Evernote Feature Request Forum

As a request, I think you're going to have to be a little more explicit than "Let Evernote work like the brain works"
Its also better to submit requests individually instead of collecting in a list.

However you submitted the request and users can vote on it.
And if its not implemented fast enough, other users can try the work-arounds

For visual oriented people may be TheBrain (www.thebrain.com) a way to organize all digital informations...

Mr ThomasQ :

I do understand what you mean about "our brain works".

I have a Samsung Note 5 , with it's embeded stylus and, I do miss that EN wont allow me work like a NOTEBOOK. That is what it was primarily supposed to be : to emulate a notebook itself. Also have a tablet from Samsung, with stylus too.

What I see however is that EN is trying to be a lot of things (presentation mode, colaboration tool, etc) but not a notebook !

I'm around One Note exactly because it allows me to draw like my brain works.

Other apps I've seen that are waaaaaaay more intuitive :

• Meta Moji Note : works pretty much like a notebook. Very, very intuitive. You can even "drop" a PDF and it will transform it right away into an editable notebook. However it miss a good sync mechanism. It has one but we know EN is very good on syncing.
  • Papyrus : also very intuitive. Works like paper.  
  • Samsung S-NOTE. Also very beautiful app. But is miss the search engine that EN has.

It's funny cause, when I go to a meeting using my Tablet, I just find it very difficult to take notes (using a S-PEN), using EN ! It's just not intutive !

If I had to type the notes, I'd take my Notebook and open Word itself !

Anyway, just some more thoughts...

You may want to read a post of mine, where I complain about some things just like you. It's somewhat long post but, it's related to your thinking :

Just to conclude :

EN is great for synchronization. It's also great when it searches INSIDE images but it is very bad while editing. It's pretty advanced on thiings that it was not supposed to do (presentation) and it miss a lot on things that are it's core, with is EDITING NOTES !

See ya!

• Like 2

Let Evernote work like the brain works

Exactly.  But how does your brain retrieve information?  Do you think of a query and work through search results? No.  Someone says "what the best high school movie ever made?" and despite that you might have seen hundreds of high school movies, your brain serves up an answer without thinking (hopefully Fast Times at Ridgemont High or Dazed and Confused).  Your brain just makes a connection between the question before you and something stored in memory.  And a particular movie is served up by your brain based on the depth and breadth of connections you have to it.

Cooking ideas is more than just writing everything down. I have so many ideas and thoughts in my notebooks, but my associative mind won't find a fast way to connect them Yes, or to visualize them.

Yes again. When I read a paragraph in a book that I love, I love it because it confirms, or contradicts, or adds to something I already know.  Maybe that something is another quote from another book by a different writer.  What I want to do is to connect those two notes so that if I pull out one I'll pull out the other.  Evernote lets us make hyperlinks, but that is time-consuming and it's not visual, as you say.

I invite anyone interested in linking their notes to download Crusoe for the iPad (iPhone version coming soon).  Crusoe is a mobile Evernote app for the iPad and it allows you, at the tap of a finger, to create two-way links between your notes.  And as you build these "trains of thought" you follow links forward and back down different pathways.

Check out the website here:  http://crusoe.co/

Download here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crusoe/id1020912650?mt=8

FYI, check out the attached image to see what your links look like in Crusoe.

You can also watch a quick video if you scroll halfway down the page here.

591dc3b78f746_CrusoescreenshotVannevarpage.thumb.jpg.97740cf34b9d900e1984987f992d13dd.jpg

• Like 1

Completely agreed! Take a look at 2017 most used text processors: they are really "virtual typewriters" which produces "virtual A4 sheets". We store them in "virtual folders" and still send it through "virtual mail".

I recently posted an idea somewhat similar to this.

• Like 1