Naming issue with PDFs in the same note

I'm having a couple of issues in Evernote Public version 6.4.2.3788 dealing with fillable PDFs. The 1st issue is that I a fillable PDF that does not save the changes I make in the PDF file. I can do it just fine if I save the file locally to my desktop, make the changes, and then save it.

The 2nd issue I'm having is that I have a single note & when attaching multiple fillable PDFs based on the same initial PDF, it names them all the same. I'm using a format of YYYYMMDD_Title.pdf & I've tried changing the name from the note which will change any of the previously added PDFs. I've also tried changing the names before even adding them to EN & no matter what the last one I add changes the names for the rest. If I add a completely different PDF, everything works as expected. Any ideas or suggestions?

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, whatznext28 said:

The 2nd issue I'm having is that I have a single note & when attaching multiple fillable PDFs based on the same initial PDF, it names them all the same. I'm using a format of YYYYMMDD_Title.pdf & I've tried changing the name from the note which will change any of the previously added PDFs. I've also tried changing the names before even adding them to EN & no matter what the last one I add changes the names for the rest. If I add a completely different PDF, everything works as expected. Any ideas or suggestions?

That was interesting and I duplicated it on my Mac
I dragged the same pdf into the note 3 times, and it shows in the note as 3 pdf attachments
Renaming a single entry renames all the copies

Additionally, I exported the note in html format
There was only one pdf exported
The html has three entries, all pointing to the same pdf

>>The 1st issue is that I a fillable PDF that does not save the changes I make in the PDF file. I can do it just fine if I save the file locally to my desktop, make the changes, and then save it.

Were you using an inline Evernote viewer when it failed to save?
What application did you use when you successfully saved the changes?

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Were you using an inline Evernote viewer when it failed to save?
What application did you use when you successfully saved the changes?

I use Foxit PDF reader. I'm trying to get the same functionality I get with MS Office where if I edit a Word or Excel doc attached to a note and hit save, the changes I made are saved and updated across all of my device. With the PDF, I have to manually save the file locally, make the updates, and then replace the original PDF with the updated copy.

• Level 5*

I noticed a while ago that Evernote seems to have some sort of duplicate check built in - if you save two files with identical content,  it only saves the content once.  Makes sense I guess from a space-saving point,  but in a situation like this it gets confusing...  it should make a difference if you use the Google Drive integration and save the files there.  Once completed,  and assuming the forms will have different content then,  you should be able to save them in Evernote - but I'd keep a backup copy the first time,  just in case...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, whatznext28 said:

I use Foxit PDF reader. I'm trying to get the same functionality I get with MS Office where if I edit a Word or Excel doc attached to a note and hit save, the changes I made are saved and updated across all of my device. With the PDF, I have to manually save the file locally, make the updates, and then replace the original PDF with the updated copy.

This is not supposed to be how it works. If you edit an attachment, then saving it should place the edited version back into the note that the original came from. Generally that works fine, but that procedure not always fireproof.

I don't know what the deal is with your multiple attachments; how are you creating them / adding them to Evernote?

2 minutes ago, jefito said:

This is not supposed to be how it works. If you edit an attachment, then saving it should place the edited version back into the note that the original came from. Generally that works fine, but that procedure not always fireproof.

I don't know what the deal is with your multiple attachments; how are you creating them / adding them to Evernote?

They're all based from the same fillable PDF. I change the names to reflect the current date before attaching them, but Evernote seems to still see them as the same and will update all of them to be the same name. I'm going to test out using the Google Drive integration to see if that resolves both issues.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

I noticed a while ago that Evernote seems to have some sort of duplicate check built in - if you save two files with identical content,  it only saves the content once.  Makes sense I guess from a space-saving point,

When I saw that, I had a moment like the hunter in Jurassic Park when he releases the raptor had flanked him.  "Clever Girl" and then the dinosaur killed him

@whatznext28   I think your best workaround to this "feature" is to use separate notes, and to fill in your PDFs externally

On 11/7/2016 at 1:14 PM, jefito said:

They're all based from the same fillable PDF. I change the names to reflect the current date before attaching them, but Evernote seems to still see them as the same and will update all of them to be the same name. I tested out using the Google Drive Integration, but it's not going to work for my workflow. When I open the PDFs they're opening in a browser window & can't be edited. I'm going to continue troubleshooting adding the documents directly into the note as separate PDFs. If that doesn't work, I'll have to find a separate solution that doesn't involve EN I guess.

Archived