Evernote App Memory Hog

Hi all,

I'm running the evernote app v. 6.10 on an older macbook pro running osx 10.11.6.

Recently I've been having issues while running evernote concurrently with other apps; my computer slows to a grinding halt. I get massive beachballing and lags while typing in a new note window, which slows every other process running.

Checking out activity monitor, and it seems that evernote is using all available memory (3.98 / 4 gb) which seems exorbitant given all my notes are primarily text. I'm not sure if this started with the last update, but it's never been an issue before. Anyone else having this problem, and/or know if there's a fix?

Cheers.

• Level 5*
On 2016-11-06 at 7:41 PM, stweedter said:

Checking out activity monitor, and it seems that evernote is using all available memory (3.98 / 4 gb) which seems exorbitant given all my notes are primarily text.

Activity monitor is showing under 300MB for Evernote on my MacScreen Shot 2016-11-08 at 7.34.56 AM.png

That actually seems to be too low

edited: Now I'm seeing high numbers.

On 11/6/2016 at 9:41 PM, stweedter said:

Hi all,

I'm running the evernote app v. 6.10 on an older macbook pro running osx 10.11.6.

Recently I've been having issues while running evernote concurrently with other apps; my computer slows to a grinding halt. I get massive beachballing and lags while typing in a new note window, which slows every other process running.

Checking out activity monitor, and it seems that evernote is using all available memory (3.98 / 4 gb) which seems exorbitant given all my notes are primarily text. I'm not sure if this started with the last update, but it's never been an issue before. Anyone else having this problem, and/or know if there's a fix?

Cheers.

Hi @stweedter, I'm going to DM you!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

Unfortunately same behaviour under Windows :(

Hi.  You're running a different OS (obviously) and a different Evernote version..  Can you confirm the details and provide a screenshot confirming the usage?  I'm running the same version with 23,000 notes and don't have any problems (that I'm aware of...)

Same behavior here. Just closed Evernote after finding it taking up 11GB of RAM on my Macbook pro running OSX 10.10.5

Evernote 6.10 454267 Direct

Yesterday the program had been rather slow, hanging for 20 seconds at a time while notes were being saved, so that's early evidence of the leak.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for my delayed response. My wife's unexpected collapse (heart problems) threw everything out. 

When I start Evernote up, regardless of whether on Win 7 or Win 10, the app will hang for a minute, and if synchro then also starts up Evernote easily equals Photoshop's idling load.  To me it seems as though Evernote's desktop app is lacking the 64Bit support.  CPU idling at the expense of RAM load. Not ideal for a Windows user where the OS itself needs more machine power. Another 'design' problem with Evernote is the fact that closing the software is not shutting down the process itself even when there is absolutely nothing to synchronize. 

Perhaps a little less scanning for better user experience and more efforts into recoding to 64Bit  and attendance to user requests would go down better with the "pay-load".

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

Perhaps a little less scanning for better user experience...

I'm sorry to hear about your wife - hope she's recovering well. 

The scanning thing wouldn't be happening to you yet,  and now isn't going to according to the latest comments from EN. 

The startup 'load' on my EN (running on a rather slow 64bit Asus at the moment) isn't high.  It takes maybe 20 seconds to wake up with the usage you see below,  then sits there at 1% or so CPU and 30MB memory while it syncs.  I have the sync settings you see,  and on File > Exit (which I do before shutting down,  but not before closing the lid) it takes another 15-20 seconds to sync and exit.

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip [1].png

Same problem here. Evernote 6.10 running on a Mac Book Pro OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. This happens every day. 

I have tried to reproduce the issue, and it looks like that the following is happening:

1) Open the app - my app opens in the view where you have all notes on the left and a preview on the right
2) Consumption is around 123MB
3) Double click on a note - memory goes to 140MB
4) Close note - memory goes to 128MB
5) Double click on new note - memory goes to 151MB
6) Close note - memory goes to 134MB
7) Open note - memory goes to 159MB
8) Close note - memory goes to 150MB
9) Wait for some time - memory goes to 160MB

It looks to me that every time you open/close a note memory is not fully given back to the OS.

Any idea of what might be happening?

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 13.32.57.png

Nightmare here too, making EN impossible to work with. After a fresh restart, I created one new note, added one JPG (total note size: 10.8 mb)...then spent nearly five minutes waiting for the app to allow me to do anything else.

According to Activity Log, it's hogging a truckload of memory, thus holding my MacBook Air (El Capitan 10.11.6, with 4 Gb RAM) hostage. :::urgh:::

EN: Version 6.10 (454267 Direct)

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 1.24.40 PM.png

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on this bug? I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro running OSX El Capitan. I can use Evernote for some time, but then it starts to slow down. Checking the Activity Monitor, I noticed that Evernote can consume up to 4 gigs of RAM. Restarting the program takes the memory usage to around 170 megs.

I'd suspect there's some kind of memory leak in the program related to inputting text. Sometimes writing pauses and copy paste can also cause some hangs. Actively writing also brings the CPU usage to strangely high levels.

I have exactly the same problem. I have been working in Evernote for a few hours now and it is consuming 3.55 GB of memory (yes, you read that right). I just restarted it and memory usage is now 172 MB.

This is extremely frustrating.

Evernote version 6.10 (454267 Direct)

OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6 (15G1212)

• 2 weeks later...

fwiw +1 with this exact issue.  cpu revving and memory pressure increase to maximum for no discernible reason.  per your twitter help feed, i'll check back here periodically but presumably for every person who manages to get here and post, there is some multiple who don't.  hopefully the culprit will be unmasked shortly - thanks in advance.

I'm another one with similar issues: sometimes Evernote will simply beachball, and I won't be able to use it for five minutes or longer. CPU and memory increase like mad.

Details: if I'm making new notes, Evernote seems to be trying to sync one or two minutes, even though it's set to sync every 15 minutes. The sync is often when it hangs. I've got about 23,000 notes on a 2009 iMac with whatever the latest iOS is, so yes, I'm probably pushing the limits of my machine. The hanging seems to become worse when Time Machine is running (which is a whole other issue I've got, with a 2GB Time Machine backup sometimes taking 2 minutes and sometimes taking 90 minutes, and with Time Machine often taking over an hour to do a backup and then starting its hourly backup right after, well, that's not good).

Often there's no "hang", but I'll open a note and there's simply nothing there. It'll be blank for 10-20 seconds. I'll toggle back and forth between a couple of "blank" notes until one of them appears, and then they'll all appear. Not sure if that's the same issue or not.

For me this has been a longstanding problem that I've largely attributed to too many notes and too old a machine; Evernote is much more useable for me on my iPad. But it'd sure be nice if things were to speed up.

Hi everyone,

For those of you experiencing this issue, our development team has advised that you try the following:

Open Evernote, then select Edit > Spelling and Grammar from the menu bar and de-select all of the options there.

Next, use the following steps to recreate the full text search index:

1. Open Evernote on your Mac
2. Hold down the Option key on your keyboard and select Help from your Mac's menu bar
3. Select Troubleshooting > Recreate Full Text Search Index

If the issue persists after trying those steps, let me know here.

On 1/22/2017 at 10:04 AM, BSR said:

Hi everyone,

For those of you experiencing this issue, our development team has advised that you try the following:

Open Evernote, then select Edit > Spelling and Grammar from the menu bar and de-select all of the options there.

2. Hold down the Option key on your keyboard and select Help from your Mac's menu bar

thx very much for response - i'm rebuilding the index now, but must confess i'm a little hazy on the 'de-select the options' step of edit > spelling & grammar step, as this is what mine shows, afaict nothing to select or de-select:

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 10.03.18 AM.png

update fwiw: i think it is better so far.  haven't noticed any cpu revving in the last 24 hours, and memory pressure is sitting at 600MB or less, rather than the max (4GB on this machine, 8GB on another) to which it typically crept up.  not sure what it is 'supposed' to be, but this is certainly manageable if it stays like this.  thanks so much!

update 1-30-17: the cpu issue is still basically 'solved,' haven't had any over-revs since taking the suggested action. but memory pressure *is* still creeping up.  i can't tell if it's slower or the same as before, as i have been doing less evernoting over the last few days - but it has crept up above 1GB again.  if anyone cares...

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the steps above a couple of weeks ago. Things don't seem to have improved. Sometimes it'll be OK for a few moments, but then a sync will start (with no relationship to the "sync every 15 minutes" I've set it to), and everything will beachball for a while. Maybe 30 seconds later, maybe five minutes later, it'll be usable again.

The beachballing doesn't seem to be connected to memory or CPU pressure. Neither will be particularly high for Evernote, but in the Activity Monitor Evernote will be highlighted in red with "not responding".

I tried this workaround, and the CPU calmed down. Evernote Version 6.10 (454267 Direct), macOS Sierra 10.12.3, MacBook Pro Retina, mid 2014. I can't live without spellcheck though.  Turning Automatically Check back on, and the CPU is behaving. 

yes... sorry to report the devteam suggestion doesn't seem to stop the memory leak / pressure.  wishful or hopeful thinking on my part but it still creeps up and takes over all the memory until it comes to a pinwheeling stop.  my current workaround is to quit and restart the app first thing every morning to get a clean slate.  it works but presumably the leak should be plugged on completist grounds... thanks for still looking at this.

• 3 weeks later...

+1 Same here. RAM usage as seen in Activity Monitor will creep up and cross over 3 GB.

Just tried this manually. Sync, Sync, Sync, Sync, memory usage as seen in activity monitor, increases by ~1 MB each time and does not come down.

Another observation. Worked on EN before bed, put mac to sleep, woke up next day and did the same to the mac & voila, RAM usage spiked to 1.5 GB.

On 1/23/2017 at 1:04 AM, BSR said:

Hi everyone,

Evernote's starting to become an unusable tool. The indexing seems to work for about a day. After that it it quickly goes back to using between 2.5 - 3.5 of my available 4GB of ram. Basically, the only time I can use Evernote, at this point, is when all other programs closed. I'm really hoping this issue is solved soon. If not, my only option is to start using alternative software--which would suck, because Evernote is incredible minus this issue. 

• 4 weeks later...

Has Evernote addressed this memory leak issue yet?

I have since tried all suggested fixes - re-indexing my notes, turning off spelling and grammar check, etc.

Unfortunately for me, a RAM port on my motherboard is bad, and I'm running on half memory (4 GB). The evernote app consistently takes off in memory usage after minutes of note writing, to the point that it hogs 3.8-3.9 GB of the available 4, leaving my entire system hanging and necessitating force restarts. This issue makes the app unusable - when will it be fixed??

I want to second this issue. I restart Evernote several times per week due to this. I had the issue this morning. The first attached image show EN using 2.3 GB of memory. After restarting EN, it only used 196 MB. Something is wrong.

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 10.04.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 10.06.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 10.06.51 AM.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Same problem here!!  37GB and still climbing!! in just about 30 mins. Heating up... fan going crazy. Spinning beachball. Had to force quit on MacBookAir (2012).
Starting a few weeks ago. It seems to start after I start a search. Otherwise, (adding, opening a note, amending etc seems to be fine.

Help!!

!

EN 37GB...MBAir 05 2017.jpeg

The dev team silence is quizzical, as this is re-produceable and has enough people mentioning it that it's obviously 'a thing' - more so assuming some ratio of those who mention it to those who don't and/or silently change to another app.  I'm no expert but I don't think this is the first app in history to have memory leaks, so it's not like aren't established places to look... I presume the team is busy keeping the boat afloat in the face of recent competitors, and if this is such a niche issue that it doesn't matter to that bigger picture, so be it - but at least some acknowledgement it's on somebody's radar would be nice.  I've never found squeaky lame threats to be effective, especially since I am using a free account in this case - but speaking matter-of-factly, it doesn't seem logical for me to ever upgrade to premium based on this problem and the slow/non-reaction to it (and again that silent ratio if it exists...)

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, hacketteer said:

The dev team silence is quizzical

??Did you notice the posts in this discussion from Evernote employees

fwiw  I'm not seeing the excessive memory numbers in v6.1159208b232c909_ScreenShot2017-05-20at11_28_50AM.png.2b4dbf3750c204dd6319f9ecd2be5225.png

Yes, awhile ago back when I first came here for possible help.  But aside from the one suggestion that didn't seem to work for me, and doesn't sound like it worked for others who tried it, I'm not aware of follow up and/or other suggestions or thoughts.  I may have missed one however, as I'm likely the least perfect person in this forum...

• 1 year later...

Just to echo this once more...SAME PROBLEM!

I think Evernote needs to FIX their software!

It's too often stalling / hanging / beachball of death.

I'm basically using Evernote as a text editor--no images or large files, just text...the software should really be using almost no CPU or RAM, but instead it's often eating up most of my RAM...so then I have to stop all my work, halt all my progress, and relaunch the program.  It's a total pain and really hinders my workflow--which is the OPPOSITE of what evernote should be doing!

On top of it I'm paying annually for this "premium" software.  Thinking about going back to Apple notes...at least they are free and don't grind my laptop to a halt!

• Level 5

When I look to the dates in this thread, I think it might be better to contact SUPPORT.

The whole thread started in 2016 and went quiet in May 2017. If the same problem would still be there, the thread would have continued.

Off-topic-note: Some weeks ago I had trouble on my Win10-PC: Wheel-of-death, getting hot, CPU 100%, sync without end etc. The reason was a bad Win-update, that shot the Evernote-app to the moon. There are threads about Windows EN app performance here as well, but this does not mean they will be related to all EN-performance issues from now to eternity.

Archived