Touch password only - Apple

Kay La

Idea

I was very grateful when both Apple and Evernote decided to incorporate Touch ID.  However, since I can and do use Touch ID, I fail to see the point of having a Password, whether or not it is shared with Google or any other app.  When I have to restart my iPad Pro on an airplane or in an airport, for example, where someone may be sitting right next to me, I hate having to hide my Password when I type it in.  And I hate having to remember Passwords or having to keep a list of them.  And when the app that has my passwords loses the data, I get really frantic.  That has happened to me.  Other people can hack my data, although I truly can't imagine why anyone would want to.  But they can't hack my fingerprint.  And I don't have to try to hide my finger when I use Touch ID.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Kay La said:

I was very grateful when both Apple and Evernote decided to incorporate Touch ID.  However, since I can and do use Touch ID, I fail to see the point of having a Password

I was wondering about that - needing the password to log into Evernote on my iPad.

I actually never log out of Evernote, and I activated the PIN feature which uses the fingerprint Touch ID

Another reason for not logging off is that you can use Evernote in offline mode with no internet.

16 hours ago, Kay La said:

I was very grateful when both Apple and Evernote decided to incorporate Touch ID.  However, since I can and do use Touch ID, I fail to see the point of having a Password, whether or not it is shared with Google or any other app.  When I have to restart my iPad Pro on an airplane or in an airport, for example, where someone may be sitting right next to me, I hate having to hide my Password when I type it in.  And I hate having to remember Passwords or having to keep a list of them.  And when the app that has my passwords loses the data, I get really frantic.  That has happened to me.  Other people can hack my data, although I truly can't imagine why anyone would want to.  But they can't hack my fingerprint.  And I don't have to try to hide my finger when I use Touch ID.

Interesting perspective. My concern is the same regarding hackin and others seeing my passcode; however, I have an equal concern of being forced to use my touch ID by law enforcement or others. There are several cases now where individuals have been forced to use their Touch ID where they cannot be forced to enter a passcode. 

This is why I am not the guy recording police. I'm too busy turning my phone off so it won't accept Touch ID 

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

I have an equal concern of being forced to use my touch ID by law enforcement or others. There are several cases now where individuals have been forced to use their Touch ID where they cannot be forced to enter a passcode.

Interesting, I hadn't considered that.
I have seen in movies where the bad guys cut off a person's finger; even worse for the eye scanning tech  :mellow:

I should have mentioned that I use the LastPass service to maintain my paswords with an encrypted backup stored in Evernote

And I've seen movies where the poor victimized password holder was forced to give up the password by virtue of having had one of his fingernails or, indeed, a tooth, forcibly removed.  You folks must have some national security documents you're trying to protect.  I try not to get too paranoid about it, although I do go straight to the Web site I know rather than clicking on a link in an email.  And I have caught one phisher by reporting him to PayPal.  My wanting to use strictly a fingerprint Touch ID stems, I am afraid, just as much from laziness as it does from a desire to be completely secure.  But then, I don't keep any national secrets on my devices.

Archived