Jump to content
alexbr

Other Notes on this day one year ago and more

Recommended Posts

I have my own diary in Evernote.
Since Evernote not have a calendar, it would be convenient to see the notes that have been created on this day one year ago and more.
This is done in many diaries services and in Facebook.
Is it possible that the developers could do such feature?
And to whom this function is not needed, you could disable it in the settings.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, alexbr said:

I have my own diary in Evernote.
Since Evernote not have a calendar, it would be convenient to see the notes that have been created on this day one year ago and more.
This is done in many diaries services and in Facebook.
Is it possible that the developers could do such feature?
And to whom this function is not needed, you could disable it in the settings.

Seems like a niche request.

It could be satisfied using a search, for example   created:yyyymmdd -created:yymmdd+1

but a script would be needed to generate the date; easily done using Applescript on my Mac

Share this post


Link to post

 

Quote

created:yyyymmdd -created:yymmdd+1

It is very helpful command. But it would be better if it would be doing automatic.

Quote

but a script would be needed to generate the date; easily done using Applescript on my Mac

Can you tell more about it? Maybe with example. Step by step instruction would be great. I don't know how to use Applescript. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, alexbr said:

 Can you tell more about it? Maybe with example. Step by step instruction would be great. I don't know how to use Applescript. 

Day 1 beginner lesson
Download the script to your desktop   Journal.scpt
DoubleClick to launch ScriptEditor appScreen Shot 2017-01-20 at 4.23.46 PM.png
Click the run icon Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 4.19.50 PM.png

Future advanced lesson
Proper filing for the script and easier execution

 

 

The objective was to launch Evernote search with day1 and day2Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 4.11.16 PM.png

 

The code is simple

-- Get Day1 and Day2

 

set {year:yyyy, month:mmm, day:d, weekday:dddd} to (current date)

set yyyy to yyyy - 1

set dd to (text -2 thru -1 of ("0" & d as text))

set m to mmm as integer

set mm to (text -2 thru -1 of ("0" & m as text))

set Day1 to yyyy & mm & dd as string

 

set {year:yyyy, month:mmm, day:d, weekday:dddd} to ((current date) + 1 * days)

set yyyy to yyyy - 1

set dd to (text -2 thru -1 of ("0" & d as text))

set m to mmm as integer

set mm to (text -2 thru -1 of ("0" & m as text))

set Day2 to yyyy & mm & dd as string

 

-- Launch Evernote

 

tell application "Evernote"

    activate

    set query string of window 1 to ("created:" & Day1 & " -created:" & Day2)

end tell

Share this post


Link to post

Another way to do this is to use a text expander.  I use PhraseExpress on Windows, they have a beta on Mac.  There are other like tools for the Mac.  You can create your own hotkey to execute the command.  For example:

  • This expression created in PhraseExpress -  {#F6}created:{#datetime -f yyyymmdd -s -1Y} -created:{#datetime -f yyyymmdd -s -1Y 1D}
  • puts created::20160121 -created:20160122 in the EN search bar.

So if I hit Shift-Alt-L in EN I get the search.  All of this is done with drop downs in PhraseExpress.  FWIW.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/21/2017 at 2:44 PM, CalS said:

Another way to do this is to use a text expander.  I use PhraseExpress on Windows, they have a beta on Mac.  There are other like tools for the Mac.  You can create your own hotkey to execute the command.  For example:

  • This expression created in PhraseExpress -  {#F6}created:{#datetime -f yyyymmdd -s -1Y} -created:{#datetime -f yyyymmdd -s -1Y 1D}
  • puts created::20160121 -created:20160122 in the EN search bar.

So if I hit Shift-Alt-L in EN I get the search.  All of this is done with drop downs in PhraseExpress.  FWIW.

Another software option to look into for Windows is Breevy. I use it for many search strings in Evernote, for example remtdy will give me reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:* 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a fan of this and have long used saved searches for it, going back years and years.

Recently I've switched to using https://filterize.net/ (freemium), a service that automates a lot of tag/note actions. Based on the creation date of the note I have it add yyyy, month name, and day number tags to all notes. 

As a result, if I want to find all notes from this day in history I can do a search:

tag:january tag:11

and there they are :)

Share this post


Link to post

You should have started a new topic for this query, but not to worry!

In EN for Windows, right-click on the notebook name in the left panel and select 'Style...'  Click on the dot grid to the right of the notebook name (see below) and choose a colour there.

image.png.99a0877cc050fbfab7f4f69ecd8599b2.png

Hope this helps,

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Really great solutions with a little work.  Of course, the scripts that @DTLow shared are also a solution!  I need to take note of those intro scripts.

You might also consider DayOne and IFTTT for an EN connection.

Share this post


Link to post

Another low tech or manual solutions is when you fill out a diary note, just set a reminder for 12 months from today. It then surfaces itself on that day. I've been doing this for my journal, is often interesting!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...