Wish Evernote action bar/list widgets are available even if app storage is on SD Card

Bux

Idea

I have an Android phone (Moto X Play) with adoptable storage on. Despite the fact that adoptable storage is supposed to be transparent (which is far from true, but this is a story for Google), Evernote appeared to use the internal device storage rather than the SD card in the android app details. Presumably because it was installed before activating adoptable storage.

In an attempt to free up some device storage, I moved the Evernote app storage to the SD Card. Evernote started giving out random error messages saying it could not access the database location.

The only way to recover was uninstalling and reinstalling the Evernote app. This time it was automatically installed on the SD Card storage.

However, trying to put the action bar widget I used to have before on my home screen, now an error message says that this widget is only supported if the app is installed on the device storage. The same goes for the list widget.

I have now moved back the app to internal storage, using up its space which is running out. And I hope I won't have the same database access issues again.

Is there a good reason why those widgets are only available if the app is on the device storage? Isn't there a way to make them work also if the app uses SD Card storage?

Many thanks!

3 replies to this idea

21 hours ago, gazumped said:

Interesting.

Now if the concern for the Evernote guys is security and performance, this should NOT be an issue with adoptable storage:

https://source.android.com/devices/storage/adoptable.html

I quote:

" The platform randomly generates an encryption key for each adopted device, and that key is stored on the internal storage of the Android device. This effectively makes the adopted media as secure as internal storage. Keys are associated with adopted devices based on the adopted partition GUID. The adopted device is encrypted using dm-crypt configured with the aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 algorithm and a 128-bit key size."

and:

"When a user adopts a new storage device, the platform runs a benchmark and compares its performance against internal storage. If the adopted device is significantly slower than internal storage, the platform warns the user about a possibly degraded experience. "

So now the question for Evernote is: have you considered, wish to consider to make Evernote work robustly (including widgets) when installed on adoptable storage?

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Bux said:

So now the question for Evernote is: have you considered, wish to consider to make Evernote work robustly (including widgets) when installed on adoptable storage?

I don't have any clue whether Evernote have or would look at this - immediate thought is that adoptable storage sounds like it could be an area to which a big percentage of Evernote users won't have access on grounds of antiquated devices or expensive media.  They might go for more generally popular and accessible features as a higher priority.  However I know nothing about the process though - hadn't heard of it until you mention it (thanks for that..:))  It'll be interesting to watch for developments...

Archived