Don't close currently open note because work in progress text edits have removed the search term

Andrew R

Idea

Example of current behaviour that doesn't work well:

• Search for BANANA
  • Note SHOPPING LIST found
  • Start editing that note
  • Cut BANANA from the list, in order to paste it elsewhere in the note.
  • A seconds or two later the note disappears from search results in left pane, and from editor in right pane
  • Now have to find the note again, using another term, taking care not to lose what's in the clipboard while doing so

While that's a trivial example, when moving large blocks of less monkeyish text around in a note this can be really disconcerting. I'd expect the note to stay in the search results until at least editing has finished, and probably until the search results were manually refreshed.

Thanks

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

The Windows version has a setting in Preferences to disable "search when note is updated" to prevent just that behavior. I am not at my mac right now to see if that also exists. I kinda doubt it as it was just added to Windows a few months ago in the beta process.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Andrew R said:

Example of current behaviour that doesn't work well:

• Search for BANANA
  • Note SHOPPING LIST found
  • Start editing that note
  • Cut BANANA from the list, in order to paste it elsewhere in the note.
  • A seconds or two later the note disappears from search results in left pane, and from editor in right pane
  • Now have to find the note again, using another term, taking care not to lose what's in the clipboard while doing so

While that's a trivial example, when moving large blocks of less monkeyish text around in a note this can be really disconcerting. I'd expect the note to stay in the search results until at least editing has finished, and probably until the search results were manually refreshed.

I've also been burned by this
One solution is to open the note in it's own window before editing

32 minutes ago, EdH said:

The Windows version has a setting in Preferences to disable "search when note is updated" to prevent just that behavior. I am not at my mac right now to see if that also exists. I kinda doubt it as it was just added to Windows a few months ago in the beta process.

That's interesting that it's been added to the Windows edition.  On Mac 6.10 it's not there... yet!  

• Level 5*
Just now, Andrew R said:

That's interesting that it's been added to the Windows edition.  On Mac 6.10 it's not there... yet!  

That is because I complained mightily about this in the Windows beta and provided a number of use cases where it fails when the search auto-updates. :D

30 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I've also been burned by this
One solution is to open the note in it's own window before editing

This is true.   I try and avoid opening notes in new windows given that they work fine inline and I don't like multiple note windows open, but maybe that's just me.  If only could "Open note in new tab..."

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Andrew R said:

This is true.   I try and avoid opening notes in new windows given that they work fine inline and I don't like multiple note windows open, but maybe that's just me.  If only could "Open note in new tab..."

Another option is to create a temporary tag for this.

• Do your search
  • Tag all of those notes with "NewTag"
  • Search for tag:NewTag
  • Make all the changes you want.
  • Remove NewTag when done.

kind of a pain, but works well when you search for multiple notes to make consistent changes but they keep vanishing since they no longer meet search criteria.

The better solution is for EN to allow manual refreshes of searches.

Archived