• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
gbarry

Sign in With Google - It's Faster

83 posts in this topic

Starting October 31, 2016, Evernote will support Google Sign-in. Anyone with a Google account will be able to sign into, or create, an Evernote account using their Google account details. As with all Evernote integrations with third-party services, Google sign-in is an opt-in feature (separate from Evernote’s Google Drive integration). It’s up to you to decide whether or not to enable Google sign-in for your account. If you’re not sure, feel free to try it out first. Learn more.

Let us know what you think about the new feature below. 

If you're new to our forums and would like to join the discussion, click "Sign In" at the top right, enter your Evernote account info, select a Display Name and you're all set. Welcome to our community!

2 people like this

Awesome new feature! Can I add this to my current account?

1 person likes this

@GiacomoLaw: if you already have a Google email associated with your Evernote account, then you can associate your Google log in with that account either in-app or as part of your normal log in flow. If you do not have a Google email associated with your account, you'll need to enable Google Sign-in in your account settings or choose "Sign in with Google" on Evernote Web. 

2 people like this

UPDATE: we currently are aware of an issue with using Google Sign-In to access our support webform and forums. Forum access will show you as logged out after a successful sign in--if you click "sign in" again you will then be logged in. The support webform presents an error. 

You can still use your standard Evernote login to access these areas and we are working on a fix. Thanks! 

What is the recovery process? Say my Gmail account were to get locked/shut down/hacked/whatever. Can I extricate my Evernote account from that from evernote.com? And what about existing Evernote 2factor authentication?

Can't say I see any benefit to this if one uses something like LastPass.  Am I missing something?

3 people like this

While I agree with Cal that Lastpass allows me to log in with various different credentials without any problem at all,  a lot of people don't use a password saver.  It'd probably help them to use a common login - particularly if they use Gmail anyway.  Like the man says - one less password to remember...;)

2 people like this

13 hours ago, csihilling said:

Can't say I see any benefit to this if one uses something like LastPass.  Am I missing something?

This may be something to make it easier for new people to sign up for evernote, no new account necessary. I am not seeing the value yet for existing customers.

2 people like this

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

While I agree with Cal that Lastpass allows me to log in with various different credentials without any problem at all,  a lot of people don't use a password saver.  It'd probably help them to use a common login - particularly if they use Gmail anyway.  Like the man says - one less password to remember...;)

Probably just depends where you want your credentials saved.  ;)

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Probably just depends where you want your credentials saved.  ;)

And who you entrust them to. I'd rather sign in to Google with my Evernote credentials. I like Google and all, but not giving it that kind of unfettered access to my Evernote login.

2 people like this

12 minutes ago, EdH said:

And who you entrust them to. I'd rather sign in to Google with my Evernote credentials. I like Google and all, but not giving it that kind of unfettered access to my Evernote login.

Ditto.

5 hours ago, EdH said:

5 hours ago, csihilling said:

Ditto.

Tritto (or whatever). Remembering my Evernote password is not hard, and I sure don't want this to become one more bit of my life that someone can access if they get my Google credentials.

So ... just paranoid spitballing here ... EN migrates our data to Google's cloud server; there's Google Drive integration; now we can use Google to sign in. This has all happened really fast, and I'm starting to get really afraid that EN is on its way to become a branch office of Google. I love using EN, but I'll figure out something else if that happens. Google already has the marketing use of all of my life that I care to give it.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Tritto (or whatever). Remembering my Evernote password is not hard, and I sure don't want this to become one more bit of my life that someone can access if they get my Google credentials.

So ... just paranoid spitballing here ... EN migrates our data to Google's cloud server; there's Google Drive integration; now we can use Google to sign in. This has all happened really fast, and I'm starting to get really afraid that EN is on its way to become a branch office of Google. I love using EN, but I'll figure out something else if that happens. Google already has the marketing use of all of my life that I care to give it.

That isn't how it works. Google does not have access to the content in the data it stores on Google Cloud. If it did, no one would use it. Google Drive integration no more gives Google access to my Evernote account than does Evernote gain access to my Gmail account just because it has a Gmail email clipper.

Just now, EdH said:

That isn't how it works. Google does not have access to the content in the data it stores on Google Cloud. If it did, no one would use it. Google Drive integration no more gives Google access to my Evernote account than does Evernote gain access to my Gmail account just because it has a Gmail email clipper.

Oh, I know Google doesn't have access to our data content as things stand now, and I'm not immediately concerned. But all these instances of Google integration do have the little paranoid guy who sits at the back of my cranium a bit concerned for the future.

2 people like this

Would I automatically be logged in to Evernote once I log in to Google?

I made the switch and do not like it at all.  I can't even get to "my account" now.

How do I get back to the way it was?

I get an error trying to use Goggle sign-on. Somehow it says I changed the password 552 days ago, but I am currently logged into google and gmail with that password.

I'm wondering how this affects people with multiple Google UN/PW. We use G-Suite for work as well, so at current, I have my personal email and three G-Suite emails that all have a Google Sign-on. I'm assuming I would choose one of these for the Evernote login...so does that mean I'll only have sharing capabilities between that particular Google account and not the others? Or am I missing how it all works?

1 hour ago, celmo said:

I get an error trying to use Goggle sign-on. Somehow it says I changed the password 552 days ago, but I am currently logged into google and gmail with that password.

Not much experience here with issues yet - I'd suggest you contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter

2 hours ago, celmo said:

Same here, mine showed 621 days. My thinking is we first must authenticate with our regular Evernote password, did that now all is good. Hope that helps you.

1 person likes this

If Google is going to be partnered with Evernote, I would like to cancel my account

I've been using Evernote for some time now.  I wasn't aware that it was password protected.  How do I set that up?

How can it be faster?

Google needs a user name/email and password. So does Evernote.

Is this another step towards Google and a step away from Evernote's independence?

Let me say it again....I don't trust Google

1 person likes this