Combining Accounts

Hi,

I have two Evernote accounts.  One is tied to my personal email address while the other is tied to an address at my previous employer.  When I try to change my old work email to my personal account I can't as it already exists.  If I deactivate my personal account it warns that I cannot create another account using the same address.  Ultimately I want to merge everything into my personal account so that if I change employers, I don't have to do anything.  Is there a way to do this?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Scott Harrison said:

I have two Evernote accounts.  One is tied to my personal email address while the other is tied to an address at my previous employer.  When I try to change my old work email to my personal account I can't as it already exists.  If I deactivate my personal account it warns that I cannot create another account using the same address.  Ultimately I want to merge everything into my personal account so that if I change employers, I don't have to do anything.  Is there a way to do this?

1. Create a third address (free at Google) and use it just for changing email addresses
  2. To transfer notes to a new account
    - you can share a notebook and then copy the notes
    - you can export the notes in enex format then import to the other account

• Level 5*

Keep your personal account and export all of the work notes to ENEX (per @DTLow), be sure and do the exports by notebook preserving tags.  Then import the notes into your personal account,  Your own legal review as to whether you should be taking all of the work notes with you.

Hi @Scott Harrison -

To move notes and notebooks from one account to a secondary account:

1. From any Mac or Windows desktop computer, log into the account that contains notes you'd like to transfer to another account using the downloaded Evernote application.

2. Export your notebooks as Evernote XML (.enex) files from this account and remember which folder or directory you’ve saved it to. All your note contents and tags are saved to this ENEX file. Note: Notebook stacks are tied to individual accounts and cannot be exported to another account. Once you’ve imported all your notebooks into your secondary account, you’ll need to reorganize them into stacks.

3. Sign out of the account you've just exported notes from and sign into a secondary account.

4. Import the ENEX (.enex) files into the secondary account.

To swap the email addresses on your accounts:

1. Sign in to the account with your desired email address at https://www.evernote.com

• If the account has been deactivated, you can reactivate it here

2. Change the email address on that account to something not currently associated with another Evernote account (this will free up the use of your desired email address)

• If you don't have an additional email address to add to this account, or you do not wish to use one of your additional email addresses, I suggest using a service such as 10 Minute Mail

3. Sign out then sign in to your primary account

4. Change the email address to your desired email address

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions!

• Level 5*
On 11/5/2016 at 0:23 PM, amanda_h said:

2. Export your notebooks as Evernote XML (.enex) files from this account and remember which folder or directory you’ve saved it to. All your note contents and tags are saved to this ENEX file.

Just to be clear, export on a notebook-by-notebook basis. Last time I checked, Evernote XML files do not contain notebook information, at least in the Windows export case. If that's changed, then great, but, check before you remove your old account...

• Level 5*

Yup.  Re-importing from ENEX gives you a single notebook containing all notes.  The only option to notebook-by-notebook exports is to tag all the notes in any given notebook with the name of that notebook.  It's then possible to rebuild the notebook structure.  Same applies for stacks,  if you use them.

• 11 months later...

This seems pretty cumbersome.

Let's say I created an account on my Android phone and then inadvertently created an account on my desktop using a different email address.

Is there some way to just abandon the Android phone account, which contains nothing useful, and to log the Android phone in on the desktop account?

I uninstalled the software from my Android phone and then reinstalled it.  I attempted to log in using the desktop account name and password.  When I try this, it says I'm using the wrong password - even though I am definitely using the right info.

• Level 5*
On 28/10/2017 at 4:50 PM, xray said:

Is there some way to just abandon the Android phone account, which contains nothing useful, and to log the Android phone in on the desktop account?

Your Android phone account presumably contains an email address,  which is 'locked' to that account.  As long as you have another address to connect to your desktop account,  and there's nothing important in the Android account,  yes you could just forget about it - although it would be polite to delete all notes and notebooks and deactivate the account to reduce (very very slightly) any clutter on Evernote's servers and help maintain reasonable sync speeds. 

You should be able to access both accounts from your desktop and phone.

If you're sure you have the log in details correct there's no reason for your account to be inaccessible from the phone.  I'd suggest you doublecheck the details and try again - maybe restart the phone to clear any temporary memory stores first...

• Level 5*
On 2017-10-28 at 8:50 AM, xray said:

I attempted to log in using the desktop account name and password.  When I try this, it says I'm using the wrong password - even though I am definitely using the right info.

I have multiple accounts and can access any of the accounts on my devices. Make sure I'm using the correct userid and password

Archived