PGD

Create Collaspible Sections In A Note

Idea

PROBLEM:

Sometimes I have multiple PDFs, images, documents, spreadsheets, etc. on a related topic. I want to keep related documents grouped together but adding them all to one note makes it extremely difficult to find what is needed because the documents all seem to run together.

SOLUTION: 

1. Make it easy to place a number of documents in one note in condensed format. Contents should display as a sort of outline of all contents contained therein. Will promote increased organization and easy access.
  2. Create collapsible sections within a note. Each collapsible section has a label/title to identify a sub-topic in the note.
    1. Collapsible sections function like grouping rows in MS Excel allowing you to quickly collapse and expand similar data to create more useful views.
    2. Expand / Collapse button (triangle) left of the title to view or hide section contents.
  3. Within the section, individual documents are displayed with a title and image of the first document page.
    1. Document display concept is similar to how Windows Explorer displays multiple documents in a folder. You see an image of the first page and a label (could be the document name OR user created title).
  4. Moving collapsible sections. In cases where a note contains one document.
    1. Create a collapsible section containing the document.
    2. Right-Click on the collapsible section and select "Move" to move the section from one note to another note.
  5. Within a note you can drag and drop documents between collapsible sections via their document image.
    • Sections can be reordered by dragging and dropping the section title.
  6. Viewing Content
    1. Single click on document image to expand and read it.
    2. Double-click to open it in a separate window or app.

Edited by PGD
Misspelling
  • Like 5

11 replies to this idea

Workflowy is my list creator and collapser of choice,  and Table of Contents notes come a close second.  For many reasons it's better to have shorter notes than very long ones within Evernote,  and lots of shorter notes can form the basis for bigger paragraphs,  chapters and sections of a much longer document.  Moving the links around in a ToC note allows you to rearrange the content order without messing with the text itself.  Just sayin'

• Like 1

Definitely needs to be inside Evernote notes. I would mimic the same behavior of the best tool available.

Because Evernote should let me collapse a list into it's top Item, making it bold or with an icon to click.

My notes get toooo long and sometimes when editing from in my phone I get conflicts, I hate that.

17 minutes ago, PGD said:

PROBLEM:

Sometimes I have multiple PDFs, images, documents, spreadsheets, etc. on a related topic. I want to keep related documents grouped together but adding them all to one note makes it extremely difficult to find what is needed because the documents all seem to run together.

I'm not seeing Evernote as the tool for this.  
The editor is good for notes, but I don't think of Evernote's core function as a word processor

fwiw  I keep the my notes short, and use links to "sub notes".
          My version of expanding a section is double clicking a link.
          To compress the section, I click on the back arrow

My response is different from the prior two.  Evernote is not the "current" tool for this, but I agree with you that it should be added.  In at least my opinion, collapsible sections would be a very welcome and useful enhancement to Evernote.  If you need something immediately then definitely take a look at Workflowy.  Its implementation is very smooth.  The table of contents approach with short notes is helpful but not useful in all work flows.  

There are a couple of other requests for this in the forum.  Here is one that you might want to upvote.

2 hours ago, wizzard said:

I mind about interesting solution case that it would be nice to implement, where you could simply select the text you want to "collapse" and by right mouse click on it will get context menu with some "create related note" menu item. Then it should create new note populated with previously selected text and insert link instead of selected text at parent node.

In this case we use default functionality but only need to add context menu item with some automation.

Hi.  Please don't cross post: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/97538-managing-long-notes/#comment-467681

- Even if different posts are relevant to your request,  just pick one.

I think this would be a great feature. Just take a look at the "LyX document processor" (sort of a GUI for LaTeX). It has a great ability to insert figures, etc into collapsable "floats." Seems like something similar could be very easily accomplished in Evernote.

On 24/08/2017 at 9:43 PM, austinr2222 said:

Seems like something similar could be very easily accomplished in Evernote.

If they decide to do it,  and can engineer the same behaviour in multiple OS's and screen resolutions and sizes from 2 inches to 5 feet...

I think that would be very useful. This could drastically reduce the number of notes I need and help me keep things organized and easily accessible in a single place.

I agree, collapsable sections/bullets would be very useful.