Pivo

Creating a Stack within a Stack

Hi.  Stacks can only contain notebooks,  not stacks.  Notebooks can only contain notes.  But you are able to tag notes,  so why not just create "committee 1" and "committee 2" tags,  and also "meeting 1/ 2 /3 etc" ?

• Thanks 1

On 30 October 2016 at 2:49 AM, Pivo said:

I would like to use Evernote ask my "one stop" location to make notes at work.  I need to be able to create a stack within a stack...for example

Company Name (notebook stack 1)

> Committee 1 (notebook stack 2)

> meeting 1 (note)

> meeting 2 (note)

> meeting 3 (note)

etc....

>Committee 2 (notebook stack 3)

> meeting 1

> meeting 2 

etc...

Hopefully Evernote team reads this, it should be considered as beneficial new feature request.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 2016-10-29 at 8:49 AM, Pivo said:

I would like to use Evernote ask my "one stop" location to make notes at work.  I need to be able to create a stack within a stack...for example

12 minutes ago, michael.freidgeim said:

Hopefully Evernote team reads this, it should be considered as beneficial new feature request.

It would be more productive adding your vote to a feature request
for example go to the request below - voting buttoms are in the upper left corner

As @gazumped said, nested stacks/notebooks isn't Evernote's organization method.  
You might want to look at tags

• Confused 1

I also think nested stacks would be a great idea.  Sadly, I am just a user and not an Evernote product development person.  However, I recently discovered a web app that works like an extension to Evernote called "filterize" that allows for nested tags/a tag hierarchy, that I think can effectively solve the "problem" of nesting Evernote notebooks.  Filterize is a "freemium" service, at least for now.  http://www.filterize.net

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Echoreflection said:

filterize" that allows for nested tags/a tag hierarchy, that I think can effectively solve the "problem" of nesting Evernote notebooks.

Tag hierarchy is an Evernote feature.  I use it on my Mac to organize my tags

My understanding of Filterize is that it automates the assignment of tags.  I do this on my Mac using scripts

• Confused 1

Hi Evernote Team,

It will be great if you provide the feature of nested stack. I have lots of notebooks related to different subjects, and it really helps to nest them under the stacks, but even stacks have groupings. I have to scroll a lot on mac and then find my correct notebook. Can you please provide this feature, I don't want to use tags. Thanks.

• Like 3

Asked for many times (and often very loudly) over the years,  but never provided;  lots of possible reasons,  but Evernote (so far) has remained silent on whether,  when or how far they might consider this.  I'd be pretty certain it's not gonna happen in the short term - for a variable but long definition of 'short'. 

Not being nasty,  but there are two options - one of which you dislike.  The other one is find some other software that works for you... 

• Like 1

I just purchased the premium edition of evernote and I am extremely disappointed you can't organize like this. I need the exact same organization that Pivo describes above. One Note does this... I guess I should have just stuck with them. 

• Like 3

On 2018-01-20 at 7:57 AM, asowers said:

I need the exact same organization that Pivo describes above.

Just to be clear, @Pivo is asking to organize notes, using nested Stacks

Evernote organizes notes in Notebooks.  
Notebooks can be organized in Stacks

For additional levels of organization, Evernote has a Tag feature.

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2016 at 9:02 PM, michael.freidgeim said:

I completely agree so sir. Evernote team should definitely CONSIDER this common-sense feature.  Sometimes it confounds me why such a brilliant people creating such a brilliant software forget their basic logic halfway through..  ?

On 10/29/2016 at 10:49 AM, Pivo said:

Company Name (notebook stack 1)

> Committee 1 (notebook stack 2)

> meeting 1 (note)

> meeting 2 (note)

> meeting 3 (note)

etc....

>Committee 2 (notebook stack 3)

> meeting 1

> meeting 2 

etc...

Is this possible?  I have been trying and it doesnt seem to work.  

Thanks.

I reported this post so that @EVERNOTE TEAM sees it cause it's a common sense feature they need to add. NOW!

HURRY EVERNOTE, we are paying and this feature is so crucial I cant believe you Evernoteee people haven't added it yet...!

On 1/20/2018 at 9:57 AM, asowers said:

I just purchased the premium edition of evernote and I am extremely disappointed you can't organize like this. I need the exact same organization that Pivo describes above. One Note does this... I guess I should have just stuck with them. 

Hello, over the years I have become a savvy on note taking software, I would suggest using multiple note takings and ditch Evernote. Here are the ones I have found the best:  Apple Notes (best for folder management), Bear (terrible for folder management but good for bare notes), Simple note (Good and simple in general). 

2 hours ago, Mr.Pablo said:

Apple Notes (best for folder management), Bear (terrible for folder management but good for bare notes)

Evernote has never supported folder management.  If folder management is your requirement, you're using the wrong product.

It's still tops as a data storage and retrieval tool. 

Evernote needs to add this feature. 

I like Evernote, but am in the process of looking for an alternative because of this.  It's so bad that a product based solely on organizing notes can't do more than one layer of embedded notebooks.  

On 1/4/2019 at 4:58 PM, BushWacker_x81 said:

Evernote needs to add this feature. 

You should join the chorus of folks who've already asked for this here (from the General Feature Requests subforum): 

Add your upvote at the top of the topic, and your own discussion if you desire, though it's been discussed pretty thoroughly already.

Some folks just use other methods of organization...

On 1/4/2019 at 1:58 PM, BushWacker_x81 said:

It's so bad that a product based solely on organizing notes can't do more than one layer of embedded notebooks.  

Evernote offers two fields for organizing notes; Notebooks and Tags

Tags are the primary organization tool, and support an unlimited hierarchy.