Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.10 GA Released

Idea

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.10 GA! You can download it here.

This GA builds on the work from the previous Betas where we’ve announced significant under the hood work on the note editor. We've addressed most of the issues the Beta community was able to help us identify. We're separately working on addressing the annotation issues folks have identified with Sierra - stay tuned for some improvements shortly.

Thanks,

Chantal, Alex and the rest of the Mac and Note Editor teams!

Evernote for Mac 6.10 Release Notes

New:

• Important under the hood changes to the note editing experience lay the groundwork for even more improvements in the future.

Fixed:

• Select functionality and crash issues.
  • Like 2

81 replies to this idea

DTLow    2,238
20 hours ago, Richard N said:

Since upgrading to Sierra, all my scans are photo doc types versus receipts or documents.  Any way to fix this?

How are you doing the scans - not sure what you mean by the doc types.

Is this an issue with the Scanable app?

Richard N    0

Using fujitsu evernote scanner.  Up until upgrading to sierra, all scans defaulted to the correct note (doc) type and that dictated which folder the scan went to.  For example, receipts go to an expensify notebook, documents to an evernote notebook.  Seems like the scanned file name (until you change it) tells you what type of doc scanned, i.e. document, receipt, photo.   The problem with everything defaulting to a "photo" type scan is that scanning a multiple page document creates multiple files and not a multipage file.  Then you have to merge the multiple notes into a single note.   Again, this started happening once upgrading to sierra using the fujitsu scanner evernote edition.

Per Aisha_Aslam note, I'm resetting the profile in scansnap manager to "document".  I'll know in the morning if this works and will post result. 

Thanks for your help.

santander    5

Worst update EVER!

I seriously can not remember ever having had so much problems since I signed up for this service at version 1.0 many years ago.

But perhaps its like a woman giving birth and I have forgotten earlier pain since there is so much pleasure in between.

When can we expect next version please?

• Like 1

URamsing    1

Having issues with 6.1; in general this version appears less robust with more quirks than usual; a few examples:

• Keyboard shortcuts for indent/outdent breaks up note structure
  • Highlighting lists and adding task-boxes to all does not work
  • Dragging clipped screens to desktop creates scrap rather than images

As noted by others: We really need an update; not for more features but to get back to where Evernote made us both productive and happy  ;-)

Extropy    68

This version has driven me away from Evernote, and I had been a fully committed premium user and advocate since 2009. Unusable for more than 1 hour at a time on mac, flaky text editing, ancient problems not syncing fully to iOS, and requirement to reinstall, with associated long resync times every time I filed a bug report.

EdH    1,053
7 hours ago, Extropy said:

This version has driven me away from Evernote, and I had been a fully committed premium user and advocate since 2009. Unusable for more than 1 hour at a time on mac, flaky text editing, ancient problems not syncing fully to iOS, and requirement to reinstall, with associated long resync times every time I filed a bug report.

That is a shame. I am surprised this version was released back in October and no updates to fix the issues in this thread have been released, not even in the prerelease channel. :(

9 hours ago, Extropy said:

Building reliable software that fulfills the expectations of the majority of the customer can be a challenge.
And i really do respect the developers at Evernote for their continuous effort to build a better Evernote.

Building confidence is a much harder thing to achieve ...
Loosing paying customers (those that are paying your bills) is in my opinion a sign, that you are loosing your customers confidence!!!

Please give us users any hints about what is going on with Evernote Mac.
When will we see the next release?
What will be fixed of those many bugs in the current release?

BUG REPORT: User opens a new note and edits the body and title of the note, but in the list of windows, the notes don't update, even after using the button, file menu selection, and keyboard shortcut to Sync the notes. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe this was the case in prior versions. Is anyone able to verify this?

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 14.59.01.png

JMichaelTX    3,604
On 10/28/2016 at 3:41 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.10 GA!

@Chantal Leonard and @EvernoteAlex:

I don't think you should be "excited".  I think you should be ashamed to have made a EN Mac production release with at least 17 material bugs!

Please make fixing these bugs your top priority for the next production (GA) release, particularly over NEW features.

The New Bugs Released in EN Mac 6.10 GA:

Created:  2016-11-22    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Ray Sidney-Smith

Created:  2016-11-30    Clipped:  2016-11-30    Author:  upnix

Created:  2016-11-08    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  sneaky1

Created:  2016-11-08    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  bambooparadox

Created:  2016-11-06    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  DTLow

Created:  2016-11-06    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  DTLow

Created:  2016-11-05    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  santander

Created:  2016-11-02    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  gadget

Created:  2016-11-01    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  hsverin

Created:  2017-02-10    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Ray Sidney-Smith

Created:  2016-12-21    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  URamsing

Created:  2016-12-20    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  santander

Created:  2016-12-12    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  sail

Created:  2016-12-11    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  dsblox

Created:  2016-11-17    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  ChiragC

Created:  2016-11-16    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  Helejo

Created:  2016-11-15    Clipped:  2017-02-12    Author:  GLondon

alvinpang    3

On Evernote Mac 6.10, my note content previews are missing/not being refreshed.  They show up if I edit the note (e.g. adding a space or full stop) on my Mac, but not if they were edited or created on other machines (i.e. my iOS or Windows desktop).  The note title shows up but with a blank preview.

This cripples my use of Evernote Premium, since I rely on content previews to sort through notes quickly :(

DTLow    2,238
11 hours ago, alvinpang said:

On Evernote Mac 6.10, my note content previews are missing/not being refreshed.

V6.10 is ancient** history, and we're on to version 6.11

I'm experiencing the missing preview and took it to be a general Mac problem. I intend to open a ticket, but I'm dealing with a different preview issue first

You don't have to edit the note; just click in the note section

edited:
**ancient history: ancient is a slight exaggeration :)
v6.10 is currently the GA release, and 6.11 is in beta

EdH    1,053
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

V6.10 is ancient history, and we're on to version 6.11

Really? When? Beta 2 for 6.11 just came out on Feb 6. There was no new version on Saturday that I saw. I didn't use my Mac yesterday though. Did they release 6.11GA on Sunday? Do you have a link to the announcement thread?

DTLow    2,238
13 minutes ago, EdH said:

Really? When? Beta 2 for 6.11 just came out on Feb 6.

v6.11 is still in beta

Evernote may be convinced to issue an emergency hot fix for v6.10
but generally any changes will be addressed in the 6.11 release

I was responding to @alvinpang with her post in the 6.10 discussion.
If the OP wishes to post in a release feedback discussion, they would have better results in the 6.11 discussions

v6.11 feedback is being posted in the thread below

EdH    1,053
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

1 hour ago, EdH said:

Really? When? Beta 2 for 6.11 just came out on Feb 6.

v6.11 is still in beta

Right. Then 6.10 isn't ancient history. No one should be using a beta unless they are ok with a whole bunch of issues. People asking for help with 6.10 should be given help on that as that is the GA client, not told to move into the beta unless they fully understand what that implies. 

Just checking. Thought I had missed a GA release.

• Like 1

DTLow    2,238
3 hours ago, EdH said:

not told to move into the beta unless they fully understand what that implies

Good advice

No one is advising users to move into beta versions or even upgrade to new versions
We're just discussing an issue that exists in both the 6.10 and 6.11 versions

I don't think we can get Evernote to fix it in the 6.10 version.  
We might get @Chantal and team to look at it for v6.11

I'll be opening a support ticket, and I'll post in the v6.11 release discussion

JMichaelTX    3,604
3 hours ago, EdH said:

No one should be using a beta unless they are ok with a whole bunch of issues

I agree with this, and would like to emphasize your point.  
Most, if not all, EN Beta releases will contain bugs or changes that are likely to break your production workflow.

To All Users:
Before you update to a BETA version, make sure you have downloaded and saved the install file for the current production (GA) version of Evernote.  This will enable you to quickly downgrade to the production version when an issue with the BETA version occurs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:  2017-02-13  3:06 PM CT

If you decide to downgrade, then you should first remove the current version installed on your Mac.
See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

Edited by JMichaelTX

EdH    1,053
47 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

To All Users:
Before you update to a BETA version, make sure you have downloaded and saved the install file for the current production (GA) version of Evernote.  This will enable you to quickly downgrade to the production version when an issue with the BETA version occurs.

That isn't always valid. As for the latest GA client, that is always what is at the download location. AFAIK, you cannot directly download a beta unless there is a link in these threads. To get the beta, you have to download the GA, check the "Beta" box, then check for updates.

And in some cases, more than a few, the beta changes the database structure, and putting a GA over that will cause EN to report errors that the database is too new for the client, so then you have to wipe everything and do a full download of your data. And that doesn't fall under the "quickly downgrade" description at all.

And honestly, because a beta is a beta, if I needed to downgrade to a GA, I'd start over anyway with a fresh download just in case. For example, if beta 3 introduces a small glitch in the database, and beta 4 fixes that, if you leave at beta 3 and install the GA, the next GA might not have the fix code since there was nothing to "fix" in the last GA or last beta.. I just never tempt fate like that.