Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.10 GA Released

Idea

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.10 GA! You can download it here.

This GA builds on the work from the previous Betas where we’ve announced significant under the hood work on the note editor. We've addressed most of the issues the Beta community was able to help us identify. We're separately working on addressing the annotation issues folks have identified with Sierra - stay tuned for some improvements shortly.

Thanks,

Chantal, Alex and the rest of the Mac and Note Editor teams!

Evernote for Mac 6.10 Release Notes

New:

• Important under the hood changes to the note editing experience lay the groundwork for even more improvements in the future.

Fixed:

• Select functionality and crash issues.
  • Like 2

81 replies to this idea

DTLow    2,225
1 hour ago, BryanW said:

No, I am having the issue where I can't edit a PDF in Preview and then save it back to Evernote. This is a major part of my Evernote usage workflow.

6 hours ago, Ray Sidney-Smith said:

I have a user reporting loss of outdenting (decrease indent level) for pre-existing notes when upgrading to 6.10 (OSX 10.11.6 MacBookPro11,3 ). Is anyone else experiencing this? Many thanks.

Interesting. Do you mean that you are unable to outdent? The toolbar button doesn't work? Or the keyboard shortcut doesnt' work?

14 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Interesting. Do you mean that you are unable to outdent? The toolbar button doesn't work? Or the keyboard shortcut doesnt' work?

The user explained trying both shift-apple-[ and the top menu option to decrease indent level, and neither worked in 6.10. I couldn't replicate this because I don't have a OS X 10.11.x machine on hand. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Ray Sidney-Smith said:

The user explained trying both shift-apple-[ and the top menu option to decrease indent level, and neither worked in 6.10. I couldn't replicate this because I don't have a OS X 10.11.x machine on hand. Thanks.

Thank you, we can reproduce this. We'll get it fixed.

• Like 1

Aisha_Aslam    5

Hi 

A user is facing issues with images being mirrored once after he has captured them in Evernote. He's using MAC Sierra and running Evernote 6.10...system reboot hasnt worked for him. Could it be a bug? I don't have access to a machine running Sierra so I can't re run it...

Comments/ support/work around it are appreciated. 

Thanks

Aisha A

GLondon    0

Finding 6.10 more buggy than previous versions, a number of elements already listed in this stream.

1. cannot save edited PDFs
  2. cannot select text and Make Plain Text without all attachments in note being erased - used to apply to just the highlighted area
  3. similarly, Simply Formatting as some unintended consequences on areas not highlighted
  4. attempting to reformat headers created when merging notes is more difficult than it was before - similar to above two points, selecting text and frames somehow not working properly
  5. cannot double-click to open an Office attachment - Evernote just scrolls to the top of the note window - I have to right click and select open 
  6. notes with attachments created on another device appearing as blank notes until edited on the viewing device.

Cumulative effect is to make it quite an awkward experience.  A lot of my workflow is simply suspended until these issues are resolved.

Helejo    0

Since upgrading to v6.10 I keep getting crashing and hanging and using excess % CPU  - and when I try to cut & paste text from one place to another it often fails … thus also losing the valuable cut text I wanted to preserve.

ChiragC    17

I am not sure if this is a new issue in this Mac Version (Version 6.10 (454267 Direct)), but when I right-click on a hyper-link in a note and click on 'Open Link', Evernote does nothing. When I left-click on the hyper-link, it opens up as expected. Anyone else facing this specific issue?

Bug report: Shift + up-arrow and Shift + down-arrow on a blank line no longer selects the line as it has done in all prior versions in recent history. This was recently reported by a user to me and I'm able to reproduce it consistently.

• Like 1

Nathalie    2
On 11/22/2016 at 3:10 PM, Ray Sidney-Smith said:

Bug report: Shift + up-arrow and Shift + down-arrow on a blank line no longer selects the line as it has done in all prior versions in recent history. This was recently reported by a user to me and I'm able to reproduce it consistently.

Almost same here: for me the Shift + down-arrow no longer works on a blank line and the Shift + up-arrow does not work just before a blank line at the start of the sentence. This is functionality I use A LOT to change formatting or indent bullet items. 

• Like 2

upnix    6

I keep coming here to check in on things, but thought I might post this time.

Evernote, feel free to push the next release into beta early! I've felt that the releases lately have been great, and much more polished than the frequent releases of long past. However, having said that, text editing in 6.10 is painful. I've sent my bugs to Evernote support (all of which they said were known), and I see lots more here. The idea of being stuck with this release for much longer is an awful thought.

For whatever that's worth. Thanks!

5 hours ago, upnix said:

I keep coming here to check in on things, but thought I might post this time.

Evernote, feel free to push the next release into beta early! I've felt that the releases lately have been great, and much more polished than the frequent releases of long past. However, having said that, text editing in 6.10 is painful. I've sent my bugs to Evernote support (all of which they said were known), and I see lots more here. The idea of being stuck with this release for much longer is an awful thought.

For whatever that's worth. Thanks!

Thanks for bringing this up. Can you mention a few of the "lots more bugs" you are seeing with the editor?

Helejo    0

Also noticing: cursor takes me to end of note occasionally when completing a text edit eg. hit return or other action.

When using the builtin dot bullet points (especially after 2+ indents) then sometimes on hitting return at end of bullet to create next one it will instead create two or one followed by blank line (sometimes when there's another bullet with less indents already following it) - I can't then do the usual delete/backspace to get rid of the extra unwanted line as that repeatedly doesn't work - have to instead use delete/backspace to make the previous bullet (with text in) wrap into the bullet prior to that, then hit return to recreate the bullet. Mac OSX El Capitan, EN for Mac v6.10

11 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

Thanks for bringing this up. Can you mention a few of the "lots more bugs" you are seeing with the editor?

Hello Johnathan

What's about those bugs - will they be covered in the next release?

On 8.11.2016 at 3:50 PM, bambooparadox said:

Lots of new Editor bugs, e.g.:

1) Bug (unable to select an empty line with Shift+Down keys)
2) Bug (unable to un-highlight, when there is a Checkbox on the beginning - sometimes)
3) Bug (last letter of inserted text sometimes disappears)

It is a pain to use the v6.10 Editor :(

I would really appreciate a new release - even if not all those bugs are resolverd.

Thanks a lot!

upnix    6
18 hours ago, Johnathan Hebert said:

First

• On an indented bullet
    • Like this one for example

If I put my cursor at the very beginning of the indented line (between the bullet and the 'L') and hit "fn+delete", the bullet will unindent. I'd expect it to delete the 'L'.

Second

On a bulleted list, if I press "Shift+Return", I get a new bulleted line. I'd expect a new line without a bullet.

this
  • Does.

Third

If a take a screenshot to my clipboard (Control+Shift+Cmd+4), then paste it into a note, the picture is 2x the original size. I can resize the picture in the editor, but only if the image is over a certain size. The dimensions don't seem totally lost, because if I annotate the image shows up in that window the right size. After annotation it will go back to being 2x the size.

Quick edit on this - I suspect this is Retina-screen related, so it might not be reproducible in VMs or non-retina Macs.

I guess that's it for reproducible "lots more bugs." Like others, I also frequently have an empty bullet created for me when I hit enter, with my cursor then placed on an unbulleted line below the empty bullet. If I use the arrow keys to try to get back to the empty bullet the cursor will skip the line. I haven't been able to reproduce this reliably however.

Also, as I think I saw mentioned here, if I'm scrolled down at all, clicking on an attachment will jump the note back up to the top. (Only if the note is in it's own window, and with a single right click it seems.)

If I remember or find more, I'll post them here.

10 hours ago, Helejo said:

Also noticing: cursor takes me to end of note occasionally when completing a text edit eg. hit return or other action.

When using the builtin dot bullet points (especially after 2+ indents) then sometimes on hitting return at end of bullet to create next one it will instead create two or one followed by blank line (sometimes when there's another bullet with less indents already following it) - I can't then do the usual delete/backspace to get rid of the extra unwanted line as that repeatedly doesn't work - have to instead use delete/backspace to make the previous bullet (with text in) wrap into the bullet prior to that, then hit return to recreate the bullet. Mac OSX El Capitan, EN for Mac v6.10

We are aware of this and it is fixed in internal builds, so you should see it fixed in the next release.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bambooparadox said:

Hello Johnathan

What's about those bugs - will they be covered in the next release?

1) Bug (unable to select an empty line with Shift+Down keys)
2) Bug (unable to un-highlight, when there is a Checkbox on the beginning - sometimes)
3) Bug (last letter of inserted text sometimes disappears)

It is a pain to use the v6.10 Editor :(

I would really appreciate a new release - even if not all those bugs are resolverd.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, these should be fixed in the next release. 

11 minutes ago, upnix said:

First

• On an indented bullet
    • Like this one for example

If I put my cursor at the very beginning of the indented line (between the bullet and the 'L') and hit "fn+delete", the bullet will unindent. I'd expect it to delete the 'L'.

Second

On a bulleted list, if I press "Shift+Return", I get a new bulleted line. I'd expect a new line without a bullet.

this
  • Does.

Third

If a take a screenshot to my clipboard (Control+Shift+Cmd+4), then paste it into a note, the picture is 2x the original size. I can resize the picture in the editor, but only if the image is over a certain size. The dimensions don't seem totally lost, because if I annotate the image shows up in that window the right size. After annotation it will go back to being 2x the size.

Quick edit on this - I suspect this is Retina-screen related, so it might not be reproducible in VMs or non-retina Macs.

I guess that's it for reproducible "lots more bugs." Like others, I also frequently have an empty bullet created for me when I hit enter, with my cursor then placed on an unbulleted line below the empty bullet. If I use the arrow keys to try to get back to the empty bullet the cursor will skip the line. I haven't been able to reproduce this reliably however.

Also, as I think I saw mentioned here, if I'm scrolled down at all, clicking on an attachment will jump the note back up to the top. (Only if the note is in it's own window, and with a single right click it seems.)

If I remember or find more, I'll post them here.

Thanks for the details! We are aware of all of these, and they will all be fixed in the next release, with the exception of the 2x image size on paste, which may come in a follow up release.

Please let us know if there are others, thank you!

mwang    7

Please don't forget what I reported earlier as well:

1. system-wide shortcut for fonts adjustment (%T) no longer works. Earlier versions short "%T" beside the "Show Fonts" command under the "Format" menu, not anymore with 6.10 betas.

2. There is no longer an empty line separating two paragraphs after using Shift-Command-F to simplify formatting. I capture a lot of online news articles and this is a command I use often. Before Evernote allows us to adjust paragraph spacing as in a word processor, I much prefer the old way (a blank line between paragraphs) than having all paragraphs cramped together. Please at least keep it as an option. Please!

Thanks!

• Like 1

BUG: Search/Keyboard Shortcut related issue, a user has reported to me that on macOS Sierra (on several of his or her devices) using Evernote for Mac 6.10 is not able to get Command + G to jump from one search query found to the next in a note.

Is anyone else able to replicate this? @Johnathan Hebert

Thanks much!

dsblox    0

BUG: Cut one full bulleted line from within a bulleted list, then try to Paste into another bulleted list.

EXPECTED RESULT: Cut line(s) are pasted into the second list

ACTUAL RESULT: No data is pasted at all and the only way to get your cut data back is to Undo.

I use cut/paste in lists so often that I spent the past month using Apple Notes for my day-to-day notebooks awaiting a fix.  When none came I finally took the time to downgrade (kind of a pain to do manually) today.  I still love Evernote and would prefer to continue to use it, but bugs are becoming more and more of a problem.

If you rely on editing in bulleted text I recommending holding off on this release until a fix is available.

sail    7

Anyone else have delayed PASTING into Evernote where it looks like copy and paste isn't working and then you see 5 lines of the text you copied, pasted into the note? 

DTLow    2,225
10 hours ago, sail said:

Anyone else have delayed PASTING into Evernote where it looks like copy and paste isn't working and then you see 5 lines of the text you copied, pasted into the note? 

I have experienced this.  Evernote seems to have frozen for a brief period

If you check your acivity log, you'll see Evernote has gone into a loop on loading the note
I have Ticket# 1895717 opened for a related problem

• Like 1

JMichaelTX    3,601
10 hours ago, sail said:

I'm still running Evernote 6.9.2 (454158) on macOS 10.11.4, but I have recently noticed a brief delay, sometimes up to 10 seconds, after a paste before I see any changes in the Note.