Better offline notes

Mojaximus

Idea

I use Evernote offline often, both on Mac OS and on iOS. I have Evernote set to store all notes offline.

When a note, it seems Evernote syncs the note before displaying it. If I'm connected to a fast stable internet connection, or if I an fully offline, the note opens quickly. However, if I am on a poor internet connection - as I am now, for example, in the air on a flight with wifi - the note appears empty for quite some time, even if I know it has a great deal of text in it. Occasionally Evernote will fail to display the contents at all.

To me, this suggests the offline note functionality is not fully effective. I need notes to be immediately available as a local copy. A time indicator showing when the note was last synced would be better than waiting for the note to sync before displaying its contents.

I've found notes that are not yet synced with the server because the internet connection is very slow will sometimes come up as completely unavailable. I have to quit, disconnect the internet, reopen Evernote and can then access the offline note. On more than one occasion, a notebook that had not finished syncing came up as unavailable because I was offline, with guidance to enable offline notebooks to be able to access the notebook without an internet connection. This is, of course, a notebook that has been available offline for some time.

We need to be able to access the offline version of a notebook or note first, and for the syncing process not to interrupt access to the content of the note. If a note is changed before it is synced, a conflict resolution workflow already exists to deal with the issue.

Thanks.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Mojaximus said:

I use Evernote offline often, both on Mac OS and on iOS. I have Evernote set to store all notes offline.

When a note, it seems Evernote syncs the note before displaying it.

You said Mac and IOS with offline notes.

My thinking this means no Internet or syncing is required to display your notes
You could even turn off wifi to ensure that all syncing activity is suppressed

Yes, as I mentioned, quitting Evernote, disconnecting the internet altogether, and restarting Evernote usually fixes the problem. However, this wouldn't be necessary if the application displayed the existing stored offline version of notes before, and while syncing.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Archived