What is the point of Google Drive integration?

With Google connection enabled, I can paste a link to a google doc, and Evernote replaces the URL with a placeholder - that includes the title of the document, and you can click on it and the doc opens in your browser.

If I disable the google connection, I can paste a link to a google doc, Evernote replaces the URL with a placeholder - that now lacks a title for the document apparently since there is no connection to google, and you can still click on it and open it in your browser. Literally the only difference is that there is no title in the placeholder. 

Since this seems utterly pointless, I would rather paste the URL in and have Evernote just leave it alone so I can see the URL in my note. This would be better than a meaningless placeholder that serves exactly the same purpose, with the only difference being it takes up more space and obfuscates the actual URL.

• Level 5*

It's a fair point that the integration at this point is mainly cosmetic - though including the file name in the note does means that Evernote can search for files stored elsewhere,  and a Google Drive icon in the taskbar makes it easier to jump into your external files.  It's a start though - you might want to consider suggesting some features that would make this option more valuable for you;  Evernote might welcome some ideas....

• Level 5*

The other feature you get is the ability to browse for a Google Drive file from within Evernote, without having to switch to Google Drive, copy, switch back to Evernote, paste.  Granted this is not life-changing but it does allow for better productivity.

In addition, I'd just point out that Evernote has said "this is just the first step in our integration" - so we'll see...

• Level 5
22 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's a start though - you might want to consider suggesting some features that would make this option more valuable for you;  Evernote might welcome some ideas....

Actually, I'd like to see this suggestion reversed. I've posted my suggestions several times. Summarized below.

Evernote should offer some guidance and suggestions on how to use this feature.  They are the ones who developed the glorified link to the GD file names. They should tell us why and how it is a good idea.

I searched for Evernote blogs and help using Google and came up with these outdated links that were written half a year ago.

"Search Google Drive files inside Evernote" is a misleading statement. It does not search files, it only searches file names.

"Available now on all platforms except Windows and Web on IE and Firefox." This is outdated info.

https://evernote.com/google-drive/

“Once people see how well Evernote and Google Drive work together, they’ll use both products intuitively,” says Evernote CEO Chris O’Neill. Use both INTUITIVELY? I don't think so.

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2016/05/12/evernote-and-google-drive-deliver-a-smarter-way-to-work

This link's how-to information is helpful only if you remember the name of the file.  Instead of dancing around the inherent weakness of EN/GD, Evernote should give clear directions on how to use the new feature.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218734618-How-to-attach-Google-Drive-files-to-notes

On 10/27/2016 at 4:56 PM, maverator said:

With Google connection enabled, I can paste a link to a google doc, and Evernote replaces the URL with a placeholder - that includes the title of the document, and you can click on it and the doc opens in your browser.

If I disable the google connection, I can paste a link to a google doc, Evernote replaces the URL with a placeholder - that now lacks a title for the document apparently since there is no connection to google, and you can still click on it and open it in your browser. Literally the only difference is that there is no title in the placeholder. 

Since this seems utterly pointless, I would rather paste the URL in and have Evernote just leave it alone so I can see the URL in my note. This would be better than a meaningless placeholder that serves exactly the same purpose, with the only difference being it takes up more space and obfuscates the actual URL.

I really like it and set it up from the start, however what is frustrating is when, for whatever reason, pasting a GD link into EN for Win7 sometimes shows a placeholder with no title and a request to connect, even though I know it is set up and connected and shows other 'connected' placeholders.

On 10/27/2016 at 5:56 PM, maverator said:

It's exactly my feelings about Evernote nowadays. There is no improvement since many years. And finally they add a new feature, it's this useless link to google drive. LOL

I thought it would be a very interesting option to some of my everyday Dropbox files. Like my ever-changing production budgets, stuff like that.

But it is not. Clicking the joined file from an Evernote note is like opening my huge Excel files on the web (instead of the local copy), then having to open Excel locally, just don't make sense. Makes me nervous. One step too far from being able to edit files from withing Evernote notes.

Unless there is something I don't understand.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

I thought it would be a very interesting option to some of my everyday Dropbox files. Like my ever-changing production budgets, stuff like that.

But it is not. Clicking the joined file from an Evernote note is like opening my huge Excel files on the web (instead of the local copy), then having to open Excel locally, just don't make sense. Makes me nervous. One step too far from being able to edit files from withing Evernote notes.

Unless there is something I don't understand.

To work on the local copy of a spreadsheet I put a link to the spreadsheet's local location in the note.  That way the open is local but you still get the backup and versioning of either DB or GD.  If I want to access the spreadsheet on my phone I go to the DB/GD app on the phone (works well with files <1MB in size).

So I don't really use the integration per se,  I don't do this for spreadsheets that I want to be searchable in EN.  I put those spreadsheets in a note.  FWIW.

• 3 weeks later...

For those (like me) wanting to disable this integration:

Not sure when this configuration option was added, but I had the same question and just found this in the Windows app:

Tools > Options > Note > Note editing options > Show descriptive links

The tool tip for this option is: "Check this option if you want to show Google Drive links with more descriptive content."

Unchecking this option put the links back to standard clickable text links.

• Level 5*
On 28/11/2016 at 8:14 PM, AggieTrey said:

Unchecking this option put the links back to standard clickable text links.

That (for the moment at least) just alters the way the links are displayed.  The "integration" is pretty much cosmetic only at this point.  Evernote can't read what's in the files,  and Google can't see the note.

• 2 months later...

I have to "connect' my google drive every day. Does that happen to anybody else? 

I have been allowing access to the google drive and it seems not to stick. Can it remember that I have connected previously...like the day before?

• 4 months later...

I am trying to make better use of Google Drive and Evernote. I have noticed that attachments (from google drive)  display differently depending on your device. For example images will display inline on the web, on windows and mac but on Ipad they are just a link. 

It would be nice if all files no matter where they are from have a choice of inline/preview or attachments just like any other attachments? 

In the past two months I have lost many notes in Evernote (:() which prompted me to move some files to Google Drive. Now I realised that Gdrive integration in Evernote is just a link you click just like any other link. 

I think there should be more done with this integration, attachments display, offline access in Gdrive etc....just some thoughts... 

Sev 

Evernote Community Leader

• Level 5
10 hours ago, frenchpixie said:

I think there should be more done with this integration, attachments display, offline access in Gdrive etc....just some thoughts... 

I completely agree - Evernote launched this feature and has been silent since then. 

See my previous post on Oct 28, 2016, where I complained about the lack of information. 

Hey, Evernote Marketing Department... wake up! Climb down from your ivory tower and start communicating in this forum with your customers.

Archived