jmadamslaw

text search while annotating, take notes while annotating

Idea

I'd like to be able to search for text while annotating a .pdf.  As it stands, I have to close out the annotation window, open the .pdf in Preview (I have a Mac), search there, and remember where it is if I want to highlight it in annotation mode.

I'd also like to be able to make notes in a separate note while annotating, such as when I am reviewing a trial transcript for an appeal.

The inability to do these makes using Preview instead of EN's annotation deature an attractive choice.  I loooove the annotation summaries though, so I generally annotate in EN.

2 replies to this idea

55 minutes ago, jmadamslaw said:

I'd like to be able to search for text while annotating a .pdf.  As it stands, I have to close out the annotation window, open the .pdf in Preview (I have a Mac), search there, and remember where it is if I want to highlight it in annotation mode.

I'd also like to be able to make notes in a separate note while annotating, such as when I am reviewing a trial transcript for an appeal.

The inability to do these makes using Preview instead of EN's annotation deature an attractive choice.  I loooove the annotation summaries though, so I generally annotate in EN.

How about using two windows,

- the raw pdf in one window

- the note or annotation in the other

I do this on my Mac and iPad 

I just paid for premium I am very disappointed mainly because of this PDF annotation. I second the point about not being able to type into an active note while annotating - it is extremely frustrating. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to have two windows side-by-side, one being the PDF you are currently annotating and the other being the main app with an open note such that you can type notes in addition to highlighting, etc. Instead, if I click away from a document I am annotating the annotation window closes. Additionally (and as mentioned by other users in other requests) you should be able to select text within the annotation window. Not sure why that is so difficult to do, preview already has that capability. The annotation tool is a nice idea but it is extremely rudimentary and has so much more potential.