Insert line-break inside items?

Klaus

Idea

On evernote desktop, the hotkey [Shift+Enter] allows inserting a line break, which is somehow distinguished from just pressing [Enter]. Notably, it allows inserting line breaks without starting the next bullet item. Pressing [Enter] however will continue the bullet list. This behaviour is common; E.g. in Word [Enter] inserts a paragraph-break as opposed to [Shift+Enter] inserting a line-break within the paragraph; Presumably the same happens in Evernote under the hood.

By contrast, I cannot find such an option on mobile. One can emulated the look by disabling the list and indenting the next paragraph, but it behaves differently; E.g. pressing the return-key on the software keyboard again won't continue the item list. (Curiously, I observed a similar feature-disparity in 

Is there some possibility to get the [Shifter+Enter] behaviour in Evernote on iOS?

PS: It even works here:

• Hello world.
    This is after [Shift+Enter].
  • Pressing [Enter] again adds an item.

• Hello World.
This is after disabling the bullet list, plus indenting.
Pressing [Enter] again doesn't add an item, even though it looked the same.

evernote-linebreak.png

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, Klaus said:

On evernote desktop, the hotkey [Shift+Enter] allows inserting a line break, which is somehow distinguished from just pressing [Enter]. Notably, it allows inserting line breaks without starting the next bullet item. Pressing [Enter] however will continue the bullet list. This behaviour is common; E.g. in Word [Enter] inserts a paragraph-break as opposed to [Shift+Enter] inserting a line-break within the paragraph; Presumably the same happens in Evernote under the hood.

By contrast, I cannot find such an option on mobile. One can emulated the look by disabling the list and indenting the next paragraph, but it behaves differently; E.g. pressing the return-key on the software keyboard again won't continue the item list. (Curiously, I observed a similar feature-disparity in 

Is there some possibility to get the [Shifter+Enter] behaviour in Evernote on iOS?

I moved this discussion to the feedback forum so it can be better addressed as a feature request
I upvoted (voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion)

I've also seen this called a soft-return.

My workaround is to have a template with soft-returns.
I can use these using copy/paste.
It works in these forums too

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Sander97 said:

Since I have installed the latest version of Evernote on macOS Sierra, I can't insert a new line break. It normally was possible with Shift + Enter. Does someone experience the same? Could I fix this?

If we're talking about soft-returns in a list, I have the same problem
I figured out "control return" works

Archived