FEATURE REQUEST: Tagging portions of text

hibou

Idea

Good evening,

As a researcher I deal with large amounts of texts using dedicated apps like Nvivo or Atlas.ti, or for lit Qiqqa. the principle of theses QADQAS or ref manager is the same: tagging portions of texts with nodes/tags/categories so then you can do a transversal reading of all your data by category or topic. I would love to have this feature in Evernote, which I use mainly to type in and archive my field notes and web article clips. So far you can tag an entire note, but you cannot assign a particular bit of text to a tag, this is really too bad in my opinion. Other note taking software allow this feature (Microsoft couterpart) and many of my colleagues have now either started or migrated to that other software partly because they do support tagging datum/particuler selections of text. But overall I love Evernote so I wish we could have this feature in a near future.

This is a long shot, but if you are a user who would also like this feature please do not hesitate to reply to this post to show your support to this request.

Thanks

• Like 1

11 replies to this idea

I think this would be really useful, as I might take notes from a particular meeting, want to keep that all together in a single note, but some of the notes I've written to myself are side notes or thoughts that might be essentially a different topic/tag.  (IE, I'm in a design meeting, and have some project management notes, or leadership notes, or learning/research topics, etc.,).

It would also be useful if there was a way to display just that block of text when I search on the tag [perhaps being able to click through to the whole note, but not needing to read the full note just to get the relevant text]

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, hibou said:

So far you can tag an entire note, but you cannot assign a particular bit of text to a tag

I've moved this to the feature requests forum so that it can be better addressed.
Users can indicate support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner.

I left a temporary link in the original forum.
You might add a note there with a link to this message

Related: although I don't see this as being implemented with tabs, personally.

[also, if they did implement the subnote or tagging portions of text solutions, I would love if it worked with images somehow, as scanned notes would definitely be an area where this would be a benefit.  ]

• Level 5*

In the Evernote architecture, tags apply only to notes -- they're designed to categorize notes, not serve as pointers to individual notes, much less into a particular note. I think that you're more likely to links to in-note anchors that bring you to specific places in a note, like HTML, because Evernote's format is very similar to HTML. This has also been requested.

55 minutes ago, jefito said:

In the Evernote architecture, tags apply only to notes -- they're designed to categorize notes, not serve as pointers to individual notes, much less into a particular note. I think that you're more likely to links to in-note anchors that bring you to specific places in a note, like HTML, because Evernote's format is very similar to HTML. This has also been requested.

I can appreciate that... while tags could be properties of any XML element, I can appreciate it's a departure from Evernote approach of tagging notes and not content.  It (or sub-notes) just seemed useful, but I'm still new to Evernotes way of things, so my opinion might change over time :-P

• Level 5*
On 12/8/2017 at 3:55 PM, CraigZ said:

I can appreciate that... while tags could be properties of any XML element

Don't confuse Evernote tags with XML tags. They are not the same thing.

18 hours ago, jefito said:

Don't confuse Evernote tags with XML tags. They are not the same thing.

Ha ha... thanks for the correction.  I worded that lazily and was intending XML attributes (although that thought is still likely flawed design wise :-D ).  Thanks for clarifying the intent of Evernote tags.

Slight bump. This would be very useful, any movement on this?

I've seen the suggestion to just split your content up into many notes, but for situations where the individual content is just a paragraph and you have many of those that belong together, this would result in quite a mess. A structure similar to the HTML anchor would be quite welcome.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Mike29 said:

A structure similar to the HTML anchor would be quite welcome.

Evernote's format is enml; a fork of html.  
The HTML anchor can be supported but there would have to be updates to the UI. This is more of a Table of Contents thing

Splitting your content is a work-around if you want to make use of Evernote's Tag feature.
I simply add keywords to my text and use the text search feature.  For example Tag-Test
I use a script (Mac) to provide a standard keyword list for insertion 

As mentioned splitting these up would result in a massive number (hundreds and hundreds) of very small notes, the reason these anchors would be useful. Currently I've manually created indexes at the start of these notes, and then use CTRL-F for that exact text, but this is of course rather clumsy, even more so on my smartphone.

An anchor would allow you to even link to a specific section within a(nother) note, although even a simple ToC with header links would already be quite welcome.