Search Android Evernote

Evernote for Android.  Am I expecting too much of my Android Tablet, Samsung Tab S2? I have two Microsoft Word documents,  docx, loaded into two separate Evernote notes and set to be available offline. When I search Evernote I can only locate items within these documents if I am online.  Is this correct? If this type of search is not available offline on the Android, would the search be available offline on a Windows Tablet like a Microsoft Surface?
Regards
Doc
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, doctorkeo said:

Evernote for Android.  Am I expecting too much of my Android Tablet, Samsung Tab S2? I have two Microsoft Word documents,  docx, loaded into two separate Evernote notes and set to be available offline. When I search Evernote I can only locate items within these documents if I am online.  Is this correct? If this type of search is not available offline on the Android, would the search be available offline on a Windows Tablet like a Microsoft Surface?
Regards
Doc

Are the notes "set to be available offline" on the Android devices, or on a computer? I believe that difference would produce two different results. In any case, notes and their attachments aren't generally downloaded to mobile devices; even if the note is set to be available offline on the device, I'm not sure an attachment would be downloaded (but I don't know for sure). That would be why you'd need to be online. But I don't think the Android version of Evernote can access attached Word documents directly. Like Android apps generally, it can't handle types of data other than its own, and can only offer to invoke the appropriate Office-type app to do so.

Thank you for your reply. The two Word documents I mention are stored on the Samsung Tablet, and were loaded on the Evernote notes from the Tablet and are set to be available offline. Since posting the original posting I have tested some other Evernote notes that only contain text and are also set to be available offline; my search results also reported no finds on these notes. This is really disappointing as I was hoping to use Evernote for all of my research, and at nine out of ten places the Internet is either not available/ unreliable/ too expensive. From your posting it looks like my only options are to go to Windows (which for me means lugging my netbook around) or finding another Android program to handle notes. 

Doc

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, doctorkeo said:

Since posting the original posting I have tested some other Evernote notes that only contain text and are also set to be available offline; my search results also reported no finds on these notes.

Lets concentrate first on the text notes.
Thats unusual that the search doesn't work

I don't spend a lot of time troubleshooting my devices
My solution process is

1. Reboot the device; it often solves the problem
  2. Delete the app, then reload
    Note: The reload won't include unsynced notes and the offline notes will be resynced which may take time
  • Level 5

Thanks for the clarification. Just to be 100% sure, the situation is:

• On your Android table, you have some notes that you've designated to be available offline.
  • When you are offline, you try to search for text in those notes.
  • Evernote does not find the text when you're offline, but does when you're online.

Is that right? Not that I have any bright ideas, actually, but it may help those who do! 

I have now

• Done a reboot.
  • Uninstalled Evernote.
  • Rebooted my Tablet.
  • Resynced the offline data.

I still have the search problem with searching for items within attached (docx) documents and text within a note on offline notes. Both searches are sucessful if I am online. The Android version I have installed is 7.9.6. This version also has a very annoying bug with the predicted text - which I now have turned off.

Thanks.

Doc. 

Update. accessing the same data via my LG G2 Android telephone, the above searches work - so what conclusions can I draw from these new findings about my Samsung S2 Tablet.?

Archived