Where do I find downloadable help documentation on Evernote?

Dear Evernote Team, dear Fellow Users,

maybe I'll never make it beyond the often quoted 5 % user  ;) ,however, at this time it is still my intention to go further.

My usual approach with new or updated software is to look for what is commonly referred to as handbook/helpfile, nowadays generally provided in the form of a downloadable pdf file. 

Despite looking into the software's hidden corners and company site,  I have not been able to find any reference to in-depth documentation. Surely such stuff exists!?  So, please, where can I get my copy?  I need it and I want it :D:D

[for the sake of comparison and why I feel entitled to such documentation, I'd like to mention my subscription to Microsoft Office 365 Personal, Euro 69 p.a. prepaid, so Evernote is pretty much in the same price category. And as I also subscribe to Adobe's Photography Plan I feel qualified enough to pass judgement on what the paying customer can expect altogether].

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

Dear Evernote Team, dear Fellow Users,

maybe I'll never make it beyond the often quoted 5 % user  ;) ,however, at this time it is still my intention to go further.

My usual approach with new or updated software is to look for what is commonly referred to as handbook/helpfile, nowadays generally provided in the form of a downloadable pdf file. 

Despite looking into the software's hidden corners and company site,  I have not been able to find any reference to in-depth documentation. Surely such stuff exists!?  So, please, where can I get my copy?  I need it and I want it :D:D

Definitely not in-depth, but for a starting point you could look at the Evernote Guide.    

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Definetly not in-depth, but for a starting point you could look at the Evernote Guide.    

DTLow, thanks, I did go through those (beginner) notes and thought there must be more to this software. After all, most users from the business world would not even get past their legal auditors without documentation.

Evernote, is a mix of media management software as well as cloud storage plus a few other frills.

I want to use the software as much as the programmers, the experts after all, have packed into it. I do use Adobe Lightroom, incidentally another database type of software. I know something about keywords, keyword lists, nested keywords. And for sure text editors are nothing new to me either.  In fact the miserable interface of  Evernote's editor made me decide to use of my own. Copy & paste, easy enough. PDF editing within Evernote? Nightmare or joke, depending on one's point of view. The shortcomings of the editorial side are clear to me, I accept them.

All I want to have is full-scale documentation on all features as right now. 

Is that asking too much?:):)

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

Is that asking too much?:):)

Yes, it's Free Software, used by over 200 million users
I don't think users would be willing to pay to cover the maintenance of extensive documentation.

As to the Evernote Editor
- I do find it has basic features but it is adequate for assembling my notes
For serious work, I use dedicated apps; word processing, spreadsheets etc
I know there are users trying to do word processing with the Evernote editor
- they complain bitterly
From my point of view, they are using the wrong tool for the job.

Well, I am a paying customer.

As things stand I'll stick to using it for the time being. 

At least I am finding at a reasonably early stage in more advanced application the snags. I will  adjust my technique in note making straight away to facilitate easy transfer at a later date. 

• Level 5*
On 10/22/2016 at 5:18 PM, DTLow said:

Yes, it's Free Software, used by over 200 million users
I don't think users would be willing to pay to cover the maintenance of extensive documentation.

??? Of course there should be good up-to-date documentation.

It should all be easily discoverable from the Evernote Help and Learning page.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, jefito said:

??? Of course there should be good up-to-date documentation.

It should all be easily discoverable from the Evernote Help and Learning page.

The OP doesn't seem happy with online documentation.  

It's easier to maintain, but he seems to be looking for more traditional manuals in pdf format.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

The OP doesn't seem happy with online documentation.  

It's easier to maintain, but he seems to be looking for more traditional manuals in pdf format.

Ah, fair enough. We have a help file for our Windows application, and online help which mirrors that, but no PDF.

Offline vs Online

Online scores when a brand-new feature is added  and announced with some instructions (unless self-explanatory) . No problem to grab and store in pdf format. In fact, easy enough to incorporate into the official helpfile to bridge the time until the updated maker helpfile is available. 

Offline scores because  a powerful printer will print  even the1,000 page manual in reasonable time. It is definitely quicker to thumb through printed matter to amend something in handwriting whilst you are working with the software. Add a sticker, whatever.

Offline scores when the server is down. 

Whatever is provided online way has to be written. The same text material can be used as basis for the pdf-file. No doubt, there is some extra work involved to adapt but my philosophy (BTW, I'm not alone) is whatever applies to freeware certainly no longer holds true when the customer is made to pay for it. In view of the recent price increase all the more so.

//

Does anybody honestly believe that a one time "garage" enterprise will go on and on with a mere minor improvements from time to time. I bought the Fujitsu ScanSnap, love it for its speed, but without its bundle partner, a licence for Adobe Acrobat, any other document scanner would have done just the same. API with Google Drive is actually functioning now, but hey, for quite a number of people Google Drive is not their chosen cloud drive. 

I use Photoshop and Lightroom way more extensively  than I will ever use Evernote. None of those freeze as Evernote regularly does at start-up and I am inclined to think they have more under the bonnet than Evernote.

Though I have all the software to bypass the rudimentary Evernote editor I feel state-of-the-art has to start somewhere. 

Why not start by providing downloadable helpfiles? 

Just my thoughts and wishes. 

Archived